Who Knows Ban Phai Near Khon Kaen

thooktong

I find a Ban Nong Phai at 6 km east of town but no Ban Phai. Distance ?

Nongkhai town is lot smaller than UT or KK and has less shopping and no international hospital. IMM Pol youd find in all mentioned cities. Need visa runs ? Than NK is closer to Laos.

Come and take a look and talk to farang. What exactly do you expect ? Children, need good schools ? International schools ?

I live here 8 years and still happy.

No, the OP is referring to a town about 50km west of Mahasarakham and about 20km south of Khon Kaen. I only know about it because my MK-to-BKK bus goes through the town.

Don't know anything about the town, BUT I do love living in smaller towns within an hour or two of a larger metropolis like KK, for the big-city services. Meanwhile, the small town gives the rural-life serenity I like.

Ban Phai is not too far away from Khon Kaen, very many buses go between the two towns.

Not a bad spot to live in, Ban Phai.

I live in Khon Kaen, which might be the second town of Thailand, but in reality is a very big village.

The entertainment industry is not too big in Khon Kaen, mind you, it is all there, but on a small scale.

Ban Phai got a few bars, a few restaurants.

Ban Phai is a village, not too small, not too big.

Rather cheaper to live in as in Khon Kaen.

Got a medical clinic, shops, schools, busstation, policestation, whatever.

The bigger hospitals are in Khon Kaen, easily to reach via route 2 (Bangkok-Non Khai)

Wouldn't mind to live there.

Ban Phai is on Highway 2 South of Khon Kaen, where it crosses the 229. About a 30 minute drive into the centre of KK, so either way it will be easy to escape or visit.

Depending on where in Ban Phai (Amphur/Town/Village) they live will affect the conditions. For instance, if outside the main town in a village, then life will be slow, if in the town then there will be more to do, restaurants, coffee shops maybe etc..

My advice, go and find out.. if you can't do the village life, then like I said KK isn't far away.

Totster :)

Ban Phai is on Highway 2 South of Khon Kaen, where it crosses the 229. About a 30 minute drive into the centre of KK, so either way it will be easy to escape or visit.

Depending on where in Ban Phai (Amphur/Town/Village) they live will affect the conditions. For instance, if outside the main town in a village, then life will be slow, if in the town then there will be more to do, restaurants, coffee shops maybe etc..

My advice, go and find out.. if you can't do the village life, then like I said KK isn't far away.

Totster :D

Thanks very much to all members, :)

Yes Ban Phai, her house is about at 40 kms from Khon Kaen, I met her in bkk, now she moves to Ban Phai to her mother's house where she takes

care of her ! Her mother is 80 years old ! Her family has got little farm here.

I will go 2 months on march april to live with her, i will be living together (gf, our baby, her mother and me) there in her mother's house, !!!

I do not know if house is confortable or not, but she does not want me to stay hotel, or rent another house in Ban Phai !

For 2 months may be rent a car or if stay long time buy a new or second hand, because she has only motorbyke !

I know she can use internet on in her house (msn with her everydays), it costs 20 baths / 1 hour.(though may be not high speed)

Having to sleep (freely) in her mother's house for (2 months first and may be after...) seems to be difficult for me as farang !

I would rather rent a house for us (gf baby and me) near her mother's house, not to seem take advantage of their (free) hospitality.

For 2 months may be rent a car or if stay long time buy a new or second hand, because she has only motorbyke !

For buy (or rent first) a car have you got good shop address ?

Thanks. :D

Jay.

Firstly, you are family.. so don't feel as though you are putting anyone out.

If her mother is 80 and needs taking care of, then living elsewhere may be impractical. If she is the youngest child (it is usually the youngests job to take care of the parents in their elder years at the house) then the house will be assumed hers anyway so in the future you can upgrade knowing that.

Just contribute to the living costs (ahem) and you should not feel awkward in the family house, I did it for 2 years and the experience of that kind of family life was great.. and invaluable.

totster :)

More then likely you will have to make improvements to the house to be comfortable. It won't be a free ride so I would forget about that worry. Whatever improvements you make will be there for the future. If you don't speak Thai might be tough. The village is going to love it they got one to watch now :) You will be the subject of many a conversation.

I agree Mother needs to be taken care of. Give it a try if you can handle it might be a wonderful experience. Personally I couldn't but we are all different. Khon Kean has one of the best hospital in Issan.

For me living in the Suburbs of Udon works best. I know others that wouldn't move in if you gave them the place.

Firstly, you are family.. so don't feel as though you are putting anyone out.

If her mother is 80 and needs taking care of, then living elsewhere may be impractical. If she is the youngest child (it is usually the youngests job to take care of the parents in their elder years at the house) then the house will be assumed hers anyway so in the future you can upgrade knowing that.

Just contribute to the living costs (ahem) and you should not feel awkward in the family house, I did it for 2 years and the experience of that kind of family life was great.. and invaluable.

totster :D

Thanks Totster, :D

Yes exactly she is the yougest child, so now i understand why she has to live and take care of her mother !

I think you are right, my place is to live together in her mother's house.

:)

Jay.

More then likely you will have to make improvements to the house to be comfortable. It won't be a free ride so I would forget about that worry. Whatever improvements you make will be there for the future. If you don't speak Thai might be tough. The village is going to love it they got one to watch now :D You will be the subject of many a conversation.

I agree Mother needs to be taken care of. Give it a try if you can handle it might be a wonderful experience. Personally I couldn't but we are all different. Khon Kean has one of the best hospital in Issan.

For me living in the Suburbs of Udon works best. I know others that wouldn't move in if you gave them the place.

Thanks Ray :D

Khon Kaen has got a very good hospital and it is near Ban Phai, so I think this is a very good point.

Yes maybe I will subject of many conversation sure :D:) (i guess not a lot of farang living at Ban Phai...)

But I think that thai people of the village will remain kind :D with me, and it is the most important thing for me !

I can make improvements to the house, I hope it will be more confortable for all of us !

Jay.

This dialogue is from The Misfits (1961) starring Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe -- written by Arthur Miller. Gable, an aging cowboy, is explaining to MM, a city girl getting a divorce in Reno, what do you do living in the desert of Nevada:

MM - Doesn't look like much is out there.

CG - Everything's there.

MM - Like what?

CG - The country.

MM - Well, what do you do with yourself?

CG - Just live.

MM - How do you just live?

CG - Well, you start by goin' to sleep.

You get up when you feel like it.

You scratch yourself. You fry some eggs.

You see what kind of a day it is.

You throw stones at a can and whistle.

MM - I know what you mean.

If you are like the Clark Gable character you will love living in Ban Phai.

I was there for an afternoon when my close and special friend was transporting her friend's motorcycle to her from Udonthani. As described above, Ban Phai is very small and quiet. We went to a very nice Vietnamese restaurant just outside the town.

Ban Phai girls are known for their...well, watch the video and find out...okay, it's free spirit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIziD5xf3Y8

Edited by Tilokarat