Can Any One Recommend A Weight Loss Retreat?

jollygreengiant

Hello All,

I am planning to come to Thailand for an extended holiday and I was wondering if I could loose weight while I am on holiday.

I am over weight, my BMI is 31.69.

Currently I am living in the UK and I am finding myself eating more junk food than I did when I was living in Asia.

I have put on about 10kg's since returning to the cold!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a retreat / resort in Thailand that has a weight loss / exercise program? With guidance and encouragement?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers

p

Hi,

Well done for making the decision to improve your health, I wish you every success, however I'd urge you to question the wisdom of spending your hard-earned holiday on a diet. Enjoy your holiday and don't let weight loss cloud your experiences or hold you back from travelling.

Many Thai resorts, located all over the country, do offer 'weight-loss holidays'. I won't recommend a specific one, your location should fit in with wherever you plan to stay or travel in Thailand. These camps are offered at premium rates and typically involve 'detoxing' with special drinks (usually vitamins and clay) and colonic irrigation (usually self-administered). These two practices have global legions of advocates and detractors and I'm in the latter group, I'm afraid. These camps can produce significant 'weight-loss' but it's usually water, not fat.

The way to loose fat is to implement long-term, consistent changes in eating healthily and exercising regularly. You know this already - no-one needs to tell you that binging on junk food in the UK made you fat do they? the question is why do continue this despite knowing the effects? solve that mystery first. Detoxing is usually offered as a retrospective solution: you've eaten junk and drank too much so you should regularly clean your system, after you do back to eating junk, come back from another detox!; it's a self-perpetuating, multi-billion dollar industry and sets people up to fail in order to attract and secure repeat business (as does all of the diet industry).

I disagree, the focus should be on eating healthily in the first place, save your money and spend it instead on buying good food and implementing positive, healthy patterns of action which will stand you in good stead for decades to come, not just some silly fad diet in Thailand which you have no way of replicating or sustaining when you get back home.

Instead of looking for a retreat or resort, I'd recommend exercising more in fun, traditional ways like scuba-diving, climbing, trekking, hiking - even Thai Kickboxing. To really experience Thailand, try eating Thai food - you'll inevitably suffer from Bangkok Belly and your weight will drop off....for free!

The "fast/detox" places are the only ones I have ever found in LOS, very frustrating. I would love to find a place that offers just low cal diet plus an exercise regimen. Even raw food diet plus exercise would be fine, but not all the enema stuff and also not a total fast as these slow the metabolism and also don't go well with exercise.

Over the years I have yet to find such a retreat in Thailand but if anyone knows of one, please post!

Hi,

Well done for making the decision to improve your health, I wish you every success, however I'd urge you to question the wisdom of spending your hard-earned holiday on a diet. Enjoy your holiday and don't let weight loss cloud your experiences or hold you back from travelling.

Many Thai resorts, located all over the country, do offer 'weight-loss holidays'. I won't recommend a specific one, your location should fit in with wherever you plan to stay or travel in Thailand. These camps are offered at premium rates and typically involve 'detoxing' with special drinks (usually vitamins and clay) and colonic irrigation (usually self-administered). These two practices have global legions of advocates and detractors and I'm in the latter group, I'm afraid. These camps can produce significant 'weight-loss' but it's usually water, not fat.

The way to loose fat is to implement long-term, consistent changes in eating healthily and exercising regularly. You know this already - no-one needs to tell you that binging on junk food in the UK made you fat do they? the question is why do continue this despite knowing the effects? solve that mystery first. Detoxing is usually offered as a retrospective solution: you've eaten junk and drank too much so you should regularly clean your system, after you do back to eating junk, come back from another detox!; it's a self-perpetuating, multi-billion dollar industry and sets people up to fail in order to attract and secure repeat business (as does all of the diet industry).

I disagree, the focus should be on eating healthily in the first place, save your money and spend it instead on buying good food and implementing positive, healthy patterns of action which will stand you in good stead for decades to come, not just some silly fad diet in Thailand which you have no way of replicating or sustaining when you get back home.

Instead of looking for a retreat or resort, I'd recommend exercising more in fun, traditional ways like scuba-diving, climbing, trekking, hiking - even Thai Kickboxing. To really experience Thailand, try eating Thai food - you'll inevitably suffer from Bangkok Belly and your weight will drop off....for free!

Dear aussiebebe,

Thanks for your reply, apologies for the delay this is the first time I have posted on an internet forum, I thought I would get notified of any postings! It was a very pleasant surprise to see all the replies.

Thank you for your kind wishes of support, I definitely feel its time to make a change. It a good point you make about enjoying the holiday. I was hoping to do both but perhaps I am being naive. I agree with you about the detox resorts I have found quite a number, but when I looked at them in detail I don't think they are what I need. I need to improve my diet for sure, but my main problem is lack of exercise. As you say long term changes are required, I was hoping my "healthy" holiday would kick start the process. Unfortunately its not a mystery in my case its definitely comfort eating. Since returning I am feeling a little disconnected / lonely and uncertain in where to head next! I am also finding the cold difficult after spending 3 years in the heat! In the hot climate I found without trying I used to eat more fruit and less food in total. In particular significantly less chocolate. Thank you for the very good advice, I too have similar about fad diets. I hadn't thought of that I will look into active holidays thanks for the tip! I think I also need to learn how to cook! Regarding Bangkok belly been there done that got the post card! :) Indeed I did loose lots of weight that week! Thanks again for the advice!

The "fast/detox" places are the only ones I have ever found in LOS, very frustrating. I would love to find a place that offers just low cal diet plus an exercise regimen. Even raw food diet plus exercise would be fine, but not all the enema stuff and also not a total fast as these slow the metabolism and also don't go well with exercise.

Over the years I have yet to find such a retreat in Thailand but if anyone knows of one, please post!

Hi Sheryl, thanks! I would love to find such a place too! If I find one I will let you know! I am really surprised one does not exist already. A business opportunity for someone! Thanks Paul

Yes that would be cool, especially if it was inexpensive.

:)

• 4 weeks later...

Just go to the Spa Chiang Mai or Tao Garden and rent a room and eat the healthiest sruff on the menu and you won't be tempted by more fattening fare unless you leave the grounds. They have Tai Chi, yoga and a swimming pool as well as excercise machines and equipment. Eat only raw food if you want to lose weight quickly. You don't need to pay for their programs if it is not want you want.

you will lose weight in aisa no matter what you do, i always lose at least 2 stone over 3 month period. when i come back to the uk i look slim and ripped haha, thats asia for ya. my older brother wieghed 19 stone, he's lived in chiang mai for about 7 months and is down to 14 stone ish....and hes not even on a diet. the humidity will take care of you lol

no diet needed

what i dont get is why men lose weight in asia and women put weight on.... anyone know?

jay

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sheryl, thanks! I would love to find such a place too! If I find one I will let you know! I am really surprised one does not exist already. A business opportunity for someone! Thanks Paul

Working on it! Takes another year at least to be ready.

• 1 year later...

I would reccomend that you take at look at camp palapon hua hin . Theres a mixture of people there, some for martial arts and tai chi and some like myself go for weight loss. I have felt supported all the way by both the instructors and the other guests (which was a huge relief , as I couldnt seem to see any middle ground between fitness fanatics and starvation diets elsewhere).

I think if you have a strong mind and focus in weight control. You can do it everywhere, either here or at home but it would be better if you cook.

There are some anti-aging clinics in Bangkok. Some hospitals have a special unit for overweight people. Check it out and enjoy.

Edited by Pammalitta

• 2 weeks later...

If you are interested in meditation as well you can go to a forest monestary. They have only one meal a day at around 8.00 am. The first week you will feel very hungry during the afternoon and evening, but you get used to it. Normally I loose around 1 kg/week.

If you are not interested in meditation, better find another place !

take care

I am in Koh Samui and have a program that is designed to meet the individuals needs, I hold your hand through the whole process, from cooking classes, to excercise routines. The objective is to arm the participant with the motivation, knowlege and inspiration to continue living a well balanced life style on their return home.

Wat Tam Wua a forest monastary only two meals a day all vegetarian, all the walking you want. I lose 20 lbs in a month everytime I go 6 hours a day of meditation will improve your mine. Located between Pai and Mai Hong Song. PM me for more info.

Wat Tam Wua a forest monastary only two meals a day all vegetarian, all the walking you want. I lose 20 lbs in a month everytime I go 6 hours a day of meditation will improve your mine. Located between Pai and Mai Hong Song. PM me for more info.

IMO that is probably the best suggestion yet, it is almost free, and gives you everything you need to drop a few pounds and get your spirit in balance.

• 1 year later...

I had a very good experience with New Body and Mind in Thailand. At first I followed the fasting and weight loss program, which made me lose more than 7 kilo. The fasting program may sound a bit harsh, but actually thanks because of the supplements you get everyday, you still keep your energy, so you feel strong enough to finish the program succesfully. I felt so good afterwards that I continued to do the detox program. Actually in the end I came out with a new body and mind. Besides the friendly and qualified service in Samui, there is also a wonderful and relaxing beach.

• 11 months later...

I was googling and came across to this page. Sorry to bring this topic up again.

I am looking for a good weight loss program for me and my wife in Thailand, preferably in Phuket. I came across to this: http://www.paleoweightlossretreat.com/.

Do you know anything about this one? Is it trustworthy? Is there anyone has attended to this program before?

I am into this Paleo method and this program looks good, but some internal opinions would be great.

Edited by rabitproof

• 5 years later...