Too Old For Teaching Job

Royrex

My school's pretty unusual in that we do actually manage to be non-discriminatory. We have staff of many different nationalities, black, white, Asian, and yes even old. We have a teacher in her 60s and she's doing just fine. Not all schools discriminate, though maybe mine is just a little odd.

More equal than most schools around here. For instance, one of our Filipinos is a head of department, and earns accordingly, our black african football coach makes more than I do, etc. It's not perfect, it's not as a western understanding of non-discrimination, but by Thai standards it's pretty remarkable, and the philosophy really does seem to be anyone who can do the job well, rather than just choosing by colour or nationality.

More equal than most schools around here. For instance, one of our Filipinos is a head of department, and earns accordingly, our black african football coach makes more than I do, etc. It's not perfect, it's not as a western understanding of non-discrimination, but by Thai standards it's pretty remarkable, and the philosophy really does seem to be anyone who can do the job well, rather than just choosing by colour or nationality.

Wow...seems like paradise. Could you PM me the name of the school? I would love to apply for a job there and be paid based on skills and qualifications as oppose to my skin color.

Ski..

A lot of bosses don't like to deal with older people because of the social status issue. Older people are to be treated with respect. A lot of employers don't like treating people respectfully.

Very true.

I worked with a 72 yo, 76 yo and 83 yo(part time uni lecturer)