Apple Iphone - Chai Or Mai Chai?

Petruchio

Hey, what's wrong with my state of the art, mobile phone.

It makes calls, it receives calls, it plays groovy music, shakes, rattles and even wakes me up in the morning.

It doesn't cost megabucks, it's got sleek curvy lines and comes in assortment of colours.

I can send texts and even get texts.

OldMobilePhones.jpg

You have committed the great blasphemy, this strikes at the very heart of gadget geekery.

Next thing you'll be saying that you only want a computer for email and internet surfing. With maybe a little light photo editing.

Heretic.

No need to be a heretic. Apple has created the iPad so you still can buy a nice gadget for these purposes. :)

[quote name='dindong' post='3345211'

You have committed the great blasphemy, this strikes at the very heart of gadget geekery.

Next thing you'll be saying that you only want a computer for email and internet surfing. With maybe a little light photo editing.

Heretic.

No need to be a heretic. Apple has created the iPad so you still can buy a nice gadget for these purposes. :)

Main Entry: her·e·tic Pronunciation: \ˈher-ə-ˌtik, ˈhe-rə-\Function: noun Date: 14th century1 : a dissenter from established religious dogma; especially : a baptized member of the Roman Catholic Church who disavows a revealed truth

2 : one who dissents from an accepted belief or doctrine : nonconformist

?????????????????

I have had 3 iphones but here is the key point out them. While they are pretty good at everything, the thing that really makes them great is their integration with Itunes and the Ipods/Itouches. If you have an ipod or itouch buy an iphone - you will absolutely love it and rave about it as much as anyone else.

If you dont listen to music, audiobooks and podcasts - have no use for an ipod - really it isnt anything that special. If you dont even know what itunes is you wont get excited about it.

I have a mac and I download and listen to podcasts. I sync certain podcasts to an ipod when I want to listn to them in my car. Will the iphone do what the ipod is doing - to the extent of its memory - so I can dispense with the ipod?

Yes and much more including making genius playlists from the iphone, you will have to make sure whatever you hook your ipod to in the car (griffin etc)is compatible with the iphone otherwise it wont charge.

Thanks for that. I have a follow up question, if I may.

After the iPhone's memory has been drawn upon for:

- its own programmes/functions/etc

- a directions/maps programme

- photos I take and keep there until they are periodically transferred to my mac

- the full address book from my mac

will there still remain at least 8Gb for music and podcasts that I want to sync and carry in the iPhone?

I am not a sophisticated user of either mobile or mac; just what I've mentioned above - plus on the mac I do also internet/emails and word processing.

I'd go for a cheaper mobile than the iPhone which may well do these things for me but the iPhone will presumably ensure flawless and simple sync with my Mac and that is important for me.

Appreciate any comments/advice.

I also run a mac and they sync up perfectly as you would expect, i have the 3GS 32GB, if was to tell you i have around 4000 songs, 100 or videos, 300 pictures 4 different gps route planners such as TomTom, my address book and two email accounts going through it and still have 7 GB remaining.

Hope this answers your questions :)

Edited by bsacbob

I also run a mac and they sync up perfectly as you would expect, i have the 3GS 32GB, if was to tell you i have around 4000 songs, 100 or videos, 300 pictures 4 different gps route planners such as TomTom, my address book and two email accounts going through it and still have 7 GB remaining.

Thanks. In light of what you say I think I could manage quite easily with a cheaper iPhone of smaller memory.

I saw the TomTom Thailand app in the app store the other day. There were only a couple reviews on it, and I'd be interested in what you think of it. Does it require an internet connection to use? (BTW, I have the iPhone 3G, 8 GB.) Not too keen on shelling out the $65 to find out it's lacking! :D