5.1 Sound System

bankruatsteve

I would like to get a decent 5.1 sound system (receiver/speakers) and am looking for suggestions to purchase in Udon Thani.

In the past I have purchased Japanese products (Yamaha & Sony) with good experience but if anybody has alternative, I would like to hear.

So, let me know what you like: where to buy? receiver model? speaker model?

Thanks

For about 5 years I have the Sony str-de698, dolby 7.1., digital audio/video control center. Happy with the stuff. For "in" I use my sat receiver, my dvd/cd/etc player and my Sony videorecorder, I can connect three 'in" things. For "out" I connect a Philips dvd recorder so I can save on disk (not harddisk) anything from TV and from dvd and vhs tapes if I like. It has radio too. My TV is a Sony Trinitron but the sound goes over 7 boxes, or 5 depending on what I choose. I bought the stuff in a shop in Nongkhai. FIVE years ago, maybe not for sale anymore. There should be new stuff now.... I paid, don't know exactly anymore, about 30 k baht.

I bought a Yamaha RX-V1000 home theatre system in Surin a number of years ago and throughly recommend it (although this model will be out of date now). It gets used in our non airconditioned living room with no problems from heat, and gives excellent sound. It has 10 inputs, 6 with video. I'd imagine the latest model Yamaha theatres would be available in Udon, either off the shelf or ordered form Bangkok. The shop I used in Surin is also the agent for NAD, Nakamichi, Marantz, Denon and a few others, and was listed in advertisements for some of these brands in hi-fi magazines (the full page ads with "where to buy" in small print at the bottom). You could try getting one of these magazines and looking up Udon dealers.

I bought a Yamaha RX-V1000 home theatre system in Surin a number of years ago and throughly recommend it (although this model will be out of date now). It gets used in our non airconditioned living room with no problems from heat, and gives excellent sound. It has 10 inputs, 6 with video. I'd imagine the latest model Yamaha theatres would be available in Udon, either off the shelf or ordered form Bangkok. The shop I used in Surin is also the agent for NAD, Nakamichi, Marantz, Denon and a few others, and was listed in advertisements for some of these brands in hi-fi magazines (the full page ads with "where to buy" in small print at the bottom). You could try getting one of these magazines and looking up Udon dealers.

Good suggestion. I'll try checking the mags. I really like my Yamaha (forget the model) so maybe I should stick with that. On the other hand... I was looking at a Sherman 5.1 system today. Didn't spend much time at it, but looked OK for the price: 8K baht for a 40w receiver and 16K baht for a 100w. (thats for the receiver and 5 speakers) Anybody have experience with Sherman?

A few points;

7 Channels has nothing to do with Blu Ray, Normal DVD's and Bluray and even stereo TV can be output through 7 channels instead of 5 if you so wish.

Sherman is a very budget brand, best to go with one of; Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo with IMO Sony and Pioneer and other electronics companies a poor second.

Just to add... unless you have a really large room and have very good understanding of the audio codecs, I doubt 7.1 will enhance your listening experience (not to mention the extra work it gives the receiver).

Actually, for just listening to music, I prefer simple stereo.

I live in Kalasin and could not find any good stuff here or in Khon Kaen, so I bought online from Piyanas. Very good selection and very good prices too. I bought stuff for 100,000 baht and did not have to pay for shipping. Very good and quick service too.

Isaanben

• 3 weeks later...

Ben, I agree. No decent stereo equipment in Issan that I could find. So I shopped one time that I was in BKK & spent about the same as you did & they brought all the equipment out here on the bus & installed it. No extra charge (Yes, I know, it was built into the price).