"bung Fai Phaya Naga"

neilr

Hi all,

I am planning to do a research project on the "BUNG FAI PHAYA NAGA" festival in October as part of my B.A program. I would like to ask the web users for any advice they could provide.

The questions I would like to ask you are;

Are there any research papers, books, or written material (Thai, Eng or Lao) on this phenomenon?

Are there (have there been) any Universities, Institutes, or/and groups researching into this phenomenon?

Are there any temples in Nong Khai, or in the surrounding areas, which have extensive knowledge on the phenomenon?

Are there any websites (other than tourist sites) you could suggest?

Kind regards,

Neil

[email protected]

The rocket festival is big business in Nong Khai. The day before the event the town fills up with people and vehicles. The traffic in the streets of Nong Khai are usually your typical small provincial capital style of busy but the day of the event it is gridlocked in the morning with police directing traffic and at times you can walk through town faster than the vehicles are moving. The night before the festival every room in town is taken and all the wats have cars filling their grounds with people sleeping over there. We're talking HUGE HUGE crowds of people. Everyone heads downstream (along the Mekong ) out of town in a steady stream all day and by night fall the banks of the river are completely filled up with people from just south of Nong Khai for probably 20 km or so. I don't know for sure how far this unbroken stretch of people goes but its impressive. Others have told me 20km plus. Eating, drinking, music, dancing, juggling everywhere.

Someone for some newspaper in Thailand published a story indicating that they thought the rockets were fakes and they were threatened with being sued by the locals in Nong Khai. This festival is big business...it brings millions and millions of baht into the local economy.

Some prof. at Khon Kaen univ. (I think it was Khon Kaen) was doing some study about how such a phenomena could happen but he was very clear that he would not actually go to the site and study the actual conditions in the river. Locals said it might scare the Naga away. Hows that for scientific research...I'm studying the phenomena but I definitely won't be going to where it happens and checking out what happens there.

I'm telling you this so that you will understand why there has been no research on the topic (at least that I've ever heard of). If you are going to try to determine the credibility of the rockets you will find that everyone believes in them because people have heard that the people along time ago have seen them and many people see them every year. If you let people know that you are actually going to do some critical analysis of something about the festival you won't find many people willing to help.

By the way what is your degree going to cover?

Thanks for the information chownah,

I currently study a B.A in Thai and SEA Studies, and as part of my course I must undertake a research project in Thailand. My fellow students are doing a range of topics such as - drug rehabilitation and the success in Thai Temples, Migration, and Hill Tribe areas. I chose the "BUNG FAI PHAYA NAGA" phenomenon, because of the reaction in news stories I read while I was there and after watching the 'Mekhong Full Moon Party' movie (though I never made it to the actual festival to witness it for myself which I hope to remedy).

I am attempting to do some groundwork prior to the festival, this is why I am seeking advice.

My research plan is from an anthropological angle, rather than scientific (though, I plan to cover both in a holistic way).

My current angles are (but may change):

- The Naga and Buddhism

- Nongkhai Buddhism, History and Animism

- Central, Northern, and Southern Thailand perspective

- Laos perspective

- The festival - Is it real? Tourism gone mad? Natural phenomenon?

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks for the information chownah,

I currently study a B.A in Thai and SEA Studies, and as part of my course I must undertake a research project in Thailand. My fellow students are doing a range of topics such as - drug rehabilitation and the success in Thai Temples, Migration, and Hill Tribe areas. I chose the "BUNG FAI PHAYA NAGA" phenomenon, because of the reaction in news stories I read while I was there and after watching the 'Mekhong Full Moon Party' movie (though I never made it to the actual festival to witness it for myself which I hope to remedy).

I am attempting to do some groundwork prior to the festival, this is why I am seeking advice.

My research plan is from an anthropological angle, rather than scientific (though, I plan to cover both in a holistic way).

My current angles are (but may change):

- The Naga and Buddhism

- Nongkhai Buddhism, History and Animism

- Central, Northern, and Southern Thailand perspective

- Laos perspective

- The festival - Is it real? Tourism gone mad? Natural phenomenon?

Thanks,

Neil

Sounds like a good project if you can get enough input. Do you speak and read Thai?