Large Television

MrScratch

Just arrived and setting up my condo with a few new things including a new television

and ive been looking around the stores and finally decided on a Samsung

plasma , one thing i noticed when walking around looking for a television

was none of them were showing any thai normal television programs only

some thing playing from a DVD , i asked one of my condo neighbors about

this and they said that buying a decent large television is a waste of time

un less you are going to use it primarily for watching some thing from DVD's

as any normal thai television from an antenna or that UCB satellite thing

will all ways look bad . i do have cable television in my condo and planned

to pay for that , but the thought of paying a lot for a large new television

and not being able to watch normal television programs on it makes me wonder

if its worth it , or just buy a less expensive model .

You can watch normal TV with no problem with the big TV. The problem is Thailand is behind with there broadcast system,, so you will only get low res analogue tv. It will work just that ir does not take advantage of the TV.

You can watch normal TV with no problem with the big TV. The problem is Thailand is behind with there broadcast system,, so you will only get low res analogue tv. It will work just that ir does not take advantage of the TV.

In fact, the brilliant scenes you see on those large screens are not just from DVD...they are from Blu-Ray DVD. DVD a little less perfect. Over the air, even less perfect. I will say that recently we've been getting a clearer picture from True over the satellite dish. It's okay, but not at all what I was used to in the States. Still, the large screen is definitely worth it...and a poor picture on a small screen isn't exactly enjoyable, either.

Ask in the Stores, they will get a cable and plug into normal TV, or Sat TV if they have a dish. They plugged in 6 TV's for me

By far 3 years ago the best picture was on the Panasonic Plasma.

Mostly watch DSTV and Partner watches Thai TV, both are as good as each other on the 42" Panasonic Plasma

Makro do a 29 inch Samsung tube tv for B6,000 .Why pay more .Also nobody is likely to steal it ( too heavy ) .

Why would you bother taking that thing home? But you are right no one steal it cause they wouldn't want it.

Edited by garyh

Makro do a 29 inch Samsung tube tv for B6,000 .Why pay more .Also nobody is likely to steal it ( too heavy ) .

Why would you bother taking that thing home? But you are right no one steal it cause they wouldn't want it.

Oh no, couldn't possibly be seen dead with what we all were happily using a few years back. :)

Manufactorers must love techno-snobs like you.

Oh no, couldn't possibly be seen dead with what we all were happily using a few years back. :)

Manufactorers must love techno-snobs like you.

Exactly :D

I have a 50 inch LG plasma with LG cinema surround sound, the picture and sound through True sat is perfect, Thai Tv through aerial is crap. :)

I have 42 philips LCD and 50 plasma from samsung and LG. all works fine with cabeltv including thai tv. plasmas much better on DVD movies though. colors, and responsetime espesially

• 4 weeks later...
I have a 50 inch LG plasma with LG cinema surround sound, the picture and sound through True sat is perfect, Thai Tv through aerial is crap. :)

Someone was just telling me that Thai Satellite is only Mono and I'd never call their video quality perfect.

I regret buying a 42" Full HD LCD. I should have gotten a 50" Plasma Full HD or even just HD Ready, woulda been more for less.

But it makes a great computer monitor.

So how big is large, I have a 32 inch Samsung LCD hooked up to my PC.

Downloaded .avi files and DVDs look great, you no longer have to put up with the local broadcasts.

I've just bought myself an LED 46" Samsung - and i must say its bloody awesome!!!

And i got it at a total steal of 50k... special 'last in stock' promotion from Home Pro Plus in Ploen Chit

Shop around and dont be impatient - there are some fantastic deals around if your prepared to hunt a bit

I regret buying a 42" Full HD LCD. I should have gotten a 50" Plasma Full HD or even just HD Ready, woulda been more for less.

Saw a 50" plasma the other day, cant remember the make, LG or Samsung, 30,000 baht, got to the point where they can't give them away.

Have already decided if its there next week I'm having it.

• 3 weeks later...

Until you have sat and watched something in full Hi-Def then you simply won't fully understand nor comprehend the quality and point of a HDTV.

I have a WD TV (Western Digital TV, a box that plays files direct from a hard disk drive), Oppo Blu-Ray and X-Box 360 all hooked up to a 46" Samsung 6 series LCD. The WDTV for my downloads (now all in HD), my games in full HD on the X-Box and the Oppo for blu-ray playback. The Oppo also plays and upscales DVD but the difference in quality between blu-ray and DVDs means I haven't watched a DVD in close to six months!

I believe True are planning imminent launch of their HD channels (only two to begin with) so I may consider getting that.

Make sure you get a full HD 1080p set and don't compromise with a lesser resolution HD ready otherwise your TV will not be future-proof.

You've got three choices; plasma, LCD and LED. I opted for an LCD because I play a lot of games and LED at the time were too expensive.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a 40" LCD but now wish I had bought a 50".......................

I have a 50" Pioneer HD plasma. Gr8 set. The Visio and the LG's are pieces of crap in my opinion. The US where I currently am, has mostly all digital channels and a lot of HD programing. When is Thailand going to get caught up???

Edited by johnwboy

I've just bought myself an LED 46" Samsung - and i must say its bloody awesome!!!

And i got it at a total steal of 50k... special 'last in stock' promotion from Home Pro Plus in Ploen Chit

Shop around and dont be impatient - there are some fantastic deals around if your prepared to hunt a bit

I did the same thing and went for the Samsung LED 46" - Paid B89,000 (including the home theater Blue Ray) in Nov 2009.

I haven't watched many Blue Ray movies. The normal DVD's appear impressive on this system.

As I write this I'm watching True Channel 151 and it has a flicker line through the screen which migrates up and down the screen. True's broadcast is atrocious.

As one poster mentioned, the sound broadcast is very hit and miss but it's not Television Set related.

In another room the True Visions image is shocking because I used cheap AV cables (the HDMI cables work well with the Samsung LED).

My conclusions.

1) LED rocks for even normal DVD's.

2) LED image is limited to broadcast quality, but that appears to be improving.

3) Like tires on a car, cabling is paramount in limiting the lack of broadcast quality.

4) True Visions are crooks !

Edited by richard_smith237

I have a 40" LCD but now wish I had bought a 50".......................

I have a 50" Pioneer HD plasma. Gr8 set. The Visio and the LG's are pieces of crap in my opinion. The US where I currently am, has mostly all digital channels and a lot of HD programing. When is Thailand going to get caught up???

Actually Thailand gave up on the US low quality broadcast and 'never twice the same color' about 40 years ago and switched to better system used in Europe so has always had better picture. The US has required the change to digital by law (market did not determine this) and now has a low quality almost HD system (768 rather than 1080) so will likely be behind the world again after a brief period of almost catching up.