Sub-woofer Connection

craigt3365

I am wiring up my house right now. Putting everything in place while the building is going on. Have it wired for 7.1 system, outside speakers, etc.

But, I went to buy a 10M RCA cable for the sub and the guy at the store said not to buy one until I had the receiver. As it was in Thai, and translated by my wife, I am not 100% sure exactly what was said, but basically understand there are two types of ways to hook it up. RCA and regular speaker wires.

I am planning on getting a low to mid range home cinema receiver. Probably in the 40k Baht range. And definitely want a powered sub.

My question is...are RCA jacks normal for these types of systems? I know my receiver (Denon) back in the US used an RCA cable. I would like to get the wires pulled before all the holes in the ceiling and walls are covered up! My ASSumption is that the better receivers use RCA jacks. Is that a good ASSumption?

I appreciate your comments!

Craig

Most subwoofers are powered, with a built in amp, and therefore you will need the rca connection.

Since you are wiring the house in advance I suggest you put in RCA and good speaker cable to cover both options.

You do not want to have to change the wiring later.

• 2 weeks later...

Subs are essentially designed to bring impact into film soundtracks however many designs on the market today are also tailored towards the recreation of high quality bass lines for two channel music.

If you are using it more for the latter, I would seriously recommend a high level speaker connection, whereby the roll off from your loudspeakers is fed directly to the sub, ensuring a synergy between the two components and a more realistic 'low end' when listening to two channel stuff...

For purely film watching, you can forget what I just mentioned and drop a high quality RCA cable in, just remember to optimise it correctly before you begin, and think about where to place the unit in your room. Hope you have understanding neighbours. :)

I did both types of wires....but then heard about one sub that requires a special cable???? Well, just won't buy that one when the time comes!

I will be using it mainly for movies, surround sound...and NO neighbors! In my last house, the windows would rattle...awesome sound...