New Requirements To Enter Thailand

Bedrockguesthouse

Is it going to be enforced? It would be a problem in Mae Sai - there are no ATMs in Tachilek and no where to go from there - if you don't have a Myanmar visa, you are only allowed in a restricted area.

It has been in force at Mae Sai for years, as the permanent notice on the wall informs you. I have frequently seen returning foreigners being asked to show "means" Although I always carry it, personally I have never been asked. Maybe because I have been "squiring" one of the immigration officers for a while now. :)

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why are people panicing? 10,000 baht is nothing. It's approx $300. usd/$320 CAD/$330AUD and 220 Euro. It's hardly a fortune.

If you are not carrying some cash on you when you travel, then you are not being prudent. What happens if there is a power failure and the atms or cc systems go dowm? what happens if you are stranded somewhere and there is a gigantic line at the atm or it runs out of cash? What do you do if the atm eats your card? What happens if you are stranded and the cc doesn't work. I have had all of these scenarios happen to me in the past 5 years of traveling. That's why I carry cash. I have yet to be robbed, scammed or pickpocketed (knock wood.)

If I have to start doing border-runs to Cambodia again or renewal trips to Malaysia, I rather not carry more than I need. As I never do anyway, CC/ATM card works...

It's fairly normal that people will spend around ten grand a week on a holiday here anyway, so it's in everyones' best interests to prove it at the customs desk before they let us in.

Yes I live here and budget on 10,000 pw, sometimes that works too. Also must mention that the cost of an ATM withdrawal of 20,000 baht through Mastercard, is in total, approx, 900 baht. Build it in to your budget. Much cheaper to bring cash and exchange it when rates are favourable.

If I read it correctly, a US citizen, entering on a tourist visa needs to be able to show about 700 USD ?

If you are coming from the US with a tourist visa you already had to show sufficient funds when you applied for the visa. I don't know how it works for other countries but I suspect it is a similar situation. Seems unlikely immigration would inquire again when you arrive unless you appear truly destitute.

Edited by CPT

Why are people panicing? 10,000 baht is nothing. It's approx $300. usd/$320 CAD/$330AUD and 220 Euro. It's hardly a fortune.

If you are not carrying some cash on you when you travel, then you are not being prudent. What happens if there is a power failure and the atms or cc systems go dowm? what happens if you are stranded somewhere and there is a gigantic line at the atm or it runs out of cash? What do you do if the atm eats your card? What happens if you are stranded and the cc doesn't work. I have had all of these scenarios happen to me in the past 5 years of traveling. That's why I carry cash. I have yet to be robbed, scammed or pickpocketed (knock wood.)

Really? I normally travel with little more than taxi fair + visa fees, and maybe 100US if I'm going somewhere third world for the first time. If you are unable to get local cash or a hotel room with passport and credit cards these days you have bigger problems happening, such as being in a war zone. Worst hassle I've had was needing to try 3 ATMs in Kathmandu until I found one connected to a generator since they only have power 11 hours per day and I hadn't bothered to get cash at the airport.

Any hard currency is a laugh. Exchange booths can't even do 'any currency'. How many Tunisian Dinars is it to the Baht, and is this pink 10000 Dinar note legitimate?

Silly and unenforcable rule like needing to see a ticket - irrelevant since etickets came around. All I carry is the booking number since the only ticket that matters is the one inside the computer. Yet still I get asked for one and waved on when I say I have an eticket. Just silly since you can make your own trivially with 50 Baht and a nearby Internet Cafe.

I doubt the airlines would ever let this get enforced - I think they are the ones liable for the return airfare for people refused entry and I don't think they would be particularly happy having to check this on check in along with visa status etc.

Don't remember seeing an ATM machine on the air side of immigration and I for one will not be carrying hard currency of any sort on me to a 20K value so I guess it'll have to be a notorized bank statement from KasikornBank no older that 24 hours. Just to figure out how I'm going to get it?

Then again they may install internet access to the visitors so as we can show em our assets through internet banking.

Shlt silly me, Thailand is still in the 19th century.

HTF are they going to enforce this stupid law?

Easy, when you're at the immigration counter the Immigration Officer says "Show us your cash Mr. bdenner.

bdenner says "no have"

Immigration Officers says "you can't come in, go away"

This used to be a requirement to enter European countries 35 years ago, seems like the Thais are just catching up to Europe standars from back then?

Sorry folks, sometimes you are to quick to write before you read. The op says

The above funds may be held in any permitted currency.Kindly adhere to the above as insufficient funds on arrival could result in refusal to enter Thailand.

Has been the requirement for many, many years.

post-7872-1266570006_thumb.jpg

10 Baht gets you a pack of around 200 assorted notes in most Chinese-run toys shops

Wouldn't the process already start at the place of your departure? Similar to visa requirements the airlines would have to check that you carry sufficient funds to enter Thailand because if they turn you away at immigration they will have to fly you back home or wherever...

Stupid requirement!

Totally stupid requirement!

It does not matter if it is enforced or not.

It sends a confusing and negative message abroad.

It facilitates theft (great.....they all have cash in their pockets.......or maybe you have to give out personal financial information that a person can use to steal money from you).

It does nothing to facilitate tourism (on the decline in Thailand).

It helps increase tourism numbers in all the other surrounding countries that have better sense than to voice such nonsense or keep something that stupid "on the books."

This title needs to be changed to stop hysteria. THIS IS NOT A NEW RULING it has been there for years.

So it has & of course I always wear my massive 5 baht gold chain around my neck and if questioned I would just flash them the currency accepted in every land.....GOLD! :D

Yep and they will ask you: "Sir we need to weigh your chain to see that it holds more than 1 baht or whatever visa you have. Please take it off and we will take it behind this curtain to weigh it." :)

Hmm….this is an old one, but quit usual “when we have a good tourist season we tighten the rules a bit” and visa versa “when its not so good we give out free tourist visas.” :)

More to come folks, wait for September/October, increased requirements for different kind of visas.

:D

That you have enough money to spend for your stay is a requirement all over the world. Let's not get over excited here over nothing. Especially since it is not a new requirement, only the amount has gone up for some categories.

True enough. But the countries that have asked me that question were always happy with the answer of "pre-pays plus [Gold, Platinum, Palladium, Ensteinium] mastercard." No further inquiries needed.

There's a big difference between that and "please show us your wad of 1,000 Baht notes." Paperless society, anyone?

reason for edit: bloody stupid grammatical error.

Edited by noahvail

I had to show cash a couple of times in Mae Sai when I did the 'exit-reentry' by foot. Never had it at any airport.

It is just stupid, as it lets everyone know that all these farang have about $600 each in cash on them.

Thailand is still a cash society, where the price on CC is higher and often you need to buy things with suitcases full of cash :)

If they really want to get just rich tourists, they should increase the amount to 400,000 baht and insist on everyone showing that money in a Thai bank account. Of course, they may drive away some of the tourists with that policy...

An antiquated regulation put on the books before anyone had ever heard of ATM, credit cards or Internet Banking.

Just wanted to write the same. Why do I have to carry cash with me anyways...

In 17 years I am in Thailand I was never asked.

They usually not even bother to look at me much or ask any questions.

I used to put it down to paranoia when you read posts to the tune of "they dont really want us here"

Yes, theres the issue of wanting travellers to have the neccesary funds for travel, and yes maybe this will even save Thailand from the trouble of the suicide farangs who come here as a last option and end up jumping off balconies..

BUT on the other hand what sort of signal does it send to paint a target on tourists head and wade them around a pool of pirhanas??

A lot of the older retiree types are probably a bit nervous getting around now without it being known that they are a SURE prospect victim to be carrying a decent amount of cash.

As others have alluded to, anyone who uses Poi pet as a visa run destination will be krappin there pants at the thought of carrying cash through that place. I'd probably want an armoured gaurd myself if those parasites all know you've got cash :)

Bah muk muk. You'd think a copy of bank account details no more than a fews days old would have sufficed, but the good ol' thai logic has done it again :D

My prediction: muggings,beatings and robberies of farangs up XXX% in the first few weeks :D

Then they'll blame us for being stupid,drunk or careless :D:D

I used to put it down to paranoia when you read posts to the tune of "they dont really want us here"

Yes, theres the issue of wanting travellers to have the neccesary funds for travel, and yes maybe this will even save Thailand from the trouble of the suicide farangs who come here as a last option and end up jumping off balconies..

BUT on the other hand what sort of signal does it send to paint a target on tourists head and wade them around a pool of pirhanas??

A lot of the older retiree types are probably a bit nervous getting around now without it being known that they are a SURE prospect victim to be carrying a decent amount of cash.

As others have alluded to, anyone who uses Poi pet as a visa run destination will be krappin there pants at the thought of carrying cash through that place. I'd probably want an armoured gaurd myself if those parasites all know you've got cash :)

Bah muk muk. You'd think a copy of bank account details no more than a fews days old would have sufficed, but the good ol' thai logic has done it again :D

My prediction: muggings,beatings and robberies of farangs up XXX% in the first few weeks :D

Then they'll blame us for being stupid,drunk or careless :D:D

That's right. Once you make it through customs, that money goes quick and then you're on your own, with nobody around to save you with some helping hand, so welcome to Thailand and enjoy it while it lasts.

Nothing new, except for applying it to Non Imm visa holders.

It was introduced some years ago at the land borders to hassle the back to back 30day

visa runners. Yes I know it is only 15 days now.

I travel all over the world with enough cash in my pocket to get home from the airport.

I aim to go to the ATM as soon as I clear immigration to draw local cash for taxis etc

I have never been asked to show cash in any country.

However I do remember feeling embarrassed in Hongkong. I was cleared through immigration with no problems,

British passport, but my Thai boss was being hassled to show he had enough money for the trip. :)

Thanks i have been in and out 7 years but never heard of this one. Amazing Thailand

I was aware of these rules/requirements, but they are seldom inforced.

However, a friend of mine in Chiang Mai did run into problems with regards to this at the border in Mae Sai one time.

For my next 2 or 3 runs there I made sure I was carrying the necessary funds. (I don't bother anymore).

Having travelled here several times a year on Visa on arrival, Tourist, and the last 4 or 5 years on Non O, I have never been asked to show funds. However, I would never enter the country without at least the required amount, just in case.

It's fairly normal that people will spend around ten grand a week on a holiday here anyway, so it's in everyones' best interests to prove it at the customs desk before they let us in.

10K per day is more realistic, assuming you're talking Baht.

I'm not keen that holders of retirement visa'a potentially now have to show Baht 40k per family after taking a weekend break in say KL or HK, it's just another potential avenue for harassment given that we're required to have Baht 800k on display for three months anyway.

That you have enough money to spend for your stay is a requirement all over the world. Let's not get over excited here over nothing. Especially since it is not a new requirement, only the amount has gone up for some categories.

Wrong.........totally wrong. I don't know another country in the world that might enforce a rule like this if it wanted to do so.

Of course, you need money to travel.......that is a requirement. And that amount varies depending on where you stay, what you do, how long you stay, etc.

It is the "legal requirement" that is utter nonsense and intrusive and quite frankly insulting to international travelers.

Again, it does not matter if they do or don't enforce it in a particular case.

What matters is that they can and apparently have.

It is a stupid rule that serves no purpose whatsoever other than to give Thailand an even worse image than it has now.