Aia Health Insurance ?!

wimster

Paid a Thai AIA agent 17K THB for a health insurance on Aril 1st (no joke). It took them until yesterday to let me know that I'm declined as I'm too heavy. While this is true I showed them my european health insurance history of 12 years without a claim (and being fat that whole time). Not interested. Also had a medical test, and passed it without a problem. Boggles me...

Anyway, now they tell me it takes another 2 weeks to get my money back.

Just another scam IMO.

Paid a Thai AIA agent 17K THB for a health insurance on Aril 1st (no joke). It took them until yesterday to let me know that I'm declined as I'm too heavy. While this is true I showed them my european health insurance history of 12 years without a claim (and being fat that whole time). Not interested. Also had a medical test, and passed it without a problem. Boggles me...

Just another scam IMO.

Hardly a scam...

Why give health insurance to someone that isn't looking after themselves ?

It just hikes the premiums for everyone else.

If you are that overweight, then think yourself lucky that you haven't claimed (yet).

Here's an idea - lose the fat - they'll give you the insurance you need then, plus you'll be healthier !

Thanks Pedro. Where did you read that I'm not looking after myself ?

Here's an idea for you: learn how to read before you respond. I clearly wrote I passed the medical test. That boggles me....but hey.

My main point is that I paid for something (before getting it) and then have to claim my own money back. I call that a scam.

Just another scam IMO.

Hardly a scam...

Why give health insurance to someone that isn't looking after themselves ?

It just hikes the premiums for everyone else.

If you are that overweight, then think yourself lucky that you haven't claimed (yet).

Here's an idea - lose the fat - they'll give you the insurance you need then, plus you'll be healthier !

How heavy are we talking exactly?

If the insurance companies are denying heavy people, it is surprising anyone in Pattaya has cover.

As far as the scam factor, I agree with you that it is unreasonable that you have to have any hassle to get a refund. However, it is quite common for insurance companies to require a payment upon application.

112 kg (at 1.84 m). Been that for a long time, and as mentioned have a 12 year no claim history and a passed medical test.

I do not think it is common to require payment upon application. At least not with all companies here I understand. Also not common in Europe.

How heavy are we talking exactly?

If the insurance companies are denying heavy people, it is surprising anyone in Pattaya has cover.

As far as the scam factor, I agree with you that it is unreasonable that you have to have any hassle to get a refund. However, it is quite common for insurance companies to require a payment upon application.

Edited by wimster

In the US, I have never heard of an application for private coverage that did not require initial payment, though I don't know how common that is in Thailand. I still think on denial, the refund should be instant and automatic, but they are obviously playing a sleazy float game, and surely a certain percentage probably don't bother pursuing the refund.

Thanks for the info on your weight. I am sorry you couldn't get cover; maybe there is another company that would consider you, perhaps on a higher risk rate schedule.

Easy on...

I used them a couple of years ago, and they were very good on all my claims, no questions asked, and there was one year where I happened to get sick quite a bit, and I used Bamrungrad for every visit.

From my experience they were very professional. I think you'll be fine in getting your money back. Maybe try BUPA, they might be able to provide you cover.

Here's an idea for you: learn how to read before you respond. I clearly wrote I passed the medical test. That boggles me....but hey.

My main point is that I paid for something (before getting it) and then have to claim my own money back. I call that a scam.

Errr - your weight.

You passed a medical test - bascially you are breathing with no major ailments.

BUT you weigh in at over 240lbs. Which is about 95lbs more than me !

Were I come from - that's not looking after yourself.

What's your waist size ?

Unless you are muscle-bound, you are a heart-attack waiting to happen.

lose 40lbs - they'll probably insure you then.

Yeah, no problems with AIA either... and my family has used them for 20+ years. Our AIA agent handles all the claims, all we have to do is sign. Business is business... doesn't make it a scam that they have refund/credit protocol. It'd be a scam if they didn't refund you.

:o

Just another scam IMO.

I don’t see any big problem other than that you’re disappointed and left w/o coverage.

It was probably their intention to give you coverage right away and that’s why they took your money at application. Besides it’s not such a bad business practice as you might not not really have the money or you might leave Thailand before you handed it over. Then mistakes could happen along the line that could cost money to fix. Similarly it takes time to ensure that the refund is handed over properly. It’s very painful, because so unnatural, for any company or individual operating in Thailand ever to refund anything, and checks have to be in place to mitigate against corruption that's so prevalent here.

Having said that, I’d also be annoyed that it’s gonna be two weeks. Not the end of the world, though, and it doesn’t mean the company isn’t a good one.

As for their reasons for refusal, it's their business decision based on mathematical probabilities and they've got to follow the model to remain profitable or else go out of business in a competitive market. You didn't have problems before, but now you're older and w/ each year the probability grows of a major medical crisis. Evidently they don't have plan that you would fit in (no pun intended). Lose weight, which would be good for you anyway, and no doubt you would be accepted. Otherwise you'll have to find another company and probably pay at a higher rate.

Thanks for all the responses and your experiences.

I only can not figure out why several people (especially pedro01) do not understand what I wrote.

Specially for him, I'll explain it once more:

1) I passed the medical test. They refused me anyway. Go figure, but hey. I have a twelve year non claim history. Oh yeah... never smoked and do not drink. You pedro ? :o

2) AIA is sitting on my money for over 6 weeks now, and are saying they will return it in 2 weeks. That remains to be seen. I think it is scamming, on top of that I just found out that they decided not to cover me 3 weeks ago. 5 weeks to get me the money back ? As I mentioned I do not have the experience of having to pay in advance for insurance. In western europe at least it is normal to find out if your application is accepted and then pay. Your policy is not valid until you pay of course.

What about that comment of Jsixpack I might be leaving the country or have no money to pay. Would I be insured if I do not pay or leave ? :D

Errr - your weight.

What's your waist size ?

Errr - your weight.

What's your waist size ?

And how would you know this? As long as the gentleman excercises has low cholerestoral and does not have high BP....then he is no more a heart attack victim than yourself. :o Most medical tests check these things.

Thanks. Have normal cholestorol and blood pressure.

Maybe pedro01 works for AIA ? :D

Errr - your weight.

What's your waist size ?

And how would you know this? As long as the gentleman excercises has low cholerestoral and does not have high BP....then he is no more a heart attack victim than yourself. :o Most medical tests check these things.

What about that comment of Jsixpack I might be leaving the country or have no money to pay. Would I be insured if I do not pay or leave ? :o

You wouldn't be of course--except by mistake. It's an imperfect world. Maybe that "pending payment" flag somehow wasn't set or noticed. Maybe the company then paid or committed to pay, only to find out later that in fact you hadn't paid. Then they've got to deal w/ that. And in any case the cost of processing the paperwork had been incurred, commissions perhaps paid, and then--no money from you. Employees make mistakes constantly and for private businesses, w/o the unlimited support of taxpayers, they are a bit more serious. Better to initiate as many checks as possible to lessen the probability of their making them. Hence, better perhaps to have a blanket policy that the applicant pays up front w/ the application. It may be annoying, other companies might not have the same policy, but it's not really irrational or imply a criminal intention to scam customers.

Passing a medical test eliminates one hurdle and gives new probabilities. Still it doesn't guarantee you that you will be issued a policy, and the company didn't tell you that you were guaranteed coverage if you passed a medical test. No doubt in this competitive market the company would like to have issued you a policy--no policies, no income--but didn't feel it could within the current rate structure; it gave you a reason that seems fairly plausible, not something like "you have the wrong hair color"; and it is going to refund your application money, though not as fast as you'd like.

So if you can't understand reasonable business practices, then I guess you'll just have simmer and think you've been treated unfairly. Me, I suggest you get over it and stop trying to tell people you've been cheated. I'm totally confident that any judge would find against you if you brought suit. Whether you'd then be convinced would be another matter, of course. Even the Flat Earth Society has its members:

http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublonskop...arthsociety.htm

Edited by JSixpack

JSixpack, no offence,but that is complete <deleted>. :o Any company who takes money without giving a policy is not worth anybodies custom.

If you rec'd a policy and did not pay the premium, then they would default on any care etc, or cancel the policy.

Edited by chuchok

As long as the gentleman excercises has low cholerestoral and does not have high BP....then he is no more a heart attack victim than yourself. :o Most medical tests check these things.

The OP didn't say anything about exercise, now did he?

More hot air. No, heart attacks are notoriously hard to predict and hence remain a leading killer. The OP surely didn't have a stress test, which, given his weight, might in itself be risky, or have a calcium test etc. He may have had an electrocardiogram, but I'd be surprised if he did, esp. since he didn't mention it. Probably the doc just listened to his heart to see if it's still beating. Excessive weight is of course a predictive factor for heart problems. Surely even you know that.

JSixpack, no offence,but that is complete <deleted>. :o Any company who takes money without giving a policy is not worth anybodies custom.

If you rec'd a policy and did not pay the premium, then they would default on any care etc, or cancel the policy.

Other posters have noted that this is a standard practice elsewhere. Other posters have also confirmed their satisfaction w/ this particular company.

But you're entitled your opinion and free to seek out whatever company suits you better. (You probably have some government scheme from a nanny state anyway, right?) The OP knew that he was paying up front w/o guarantee of approval, and he had his choice at that time whether it was worth his custom. He will have opportunity to make another such decision in the future, and he will be free to follow your advice then.

Edited by JSixpack

As long as the gentleman excercises has low cholerestoral and does not have high BP....then he is no more a heart attack victim than yourself. :o Most medical tests check these things.

More hot air. No, heart attacks are notoriously hard to predict and hence remain a leading killer. The OP surely didn't have a stress test, which, given his weight, might in itself be risky, or have a calcium test etc. He may have had an electrocardiogram, but I'd be surprised if he did, esp. since he didn't mention it. Probably the doc just listened to his heart to see if it's still beating. Excessive weight is of course a predictive factor for heart problems. Surely even you know that.

Deep sigh....

If you say so Doctor.

Deep sigh....

If you say so Doctor.

OK, so even you don't know that. :D Predictive factor = risk factor.

http://my.webmd.com/content/pages/9/1675_57840

http://familydoctor.org/292.xml

Edited by JSixpack

Deep sigh....

If you say so Doctor.

Next you are going to tell us that overweight people aren't more likely to have problems with knees or other joints in life? That sleep-apnea isn't 500% more common with those 40kilo overweight or more? And on the list goes.

Never meet anyone that is heavily overweight and well-trained at the same time.

Deep sigh....

If you say so Doctor.

1)Next you are going to tell us that overweight people aren't more likely to have problems with knees or other joints in life? That sleep-apnea isn't 500% more common with those 40kilo overweight or more? And on the list goes.

2)Never meet anyone that is heavily overweight and well-trained at the same time.

1) No.What the heck has this got to do with a heart :o I qualified my answer..can't you read?

2) Yep I do.Springbok prop Os Durant.By medical experts he is grossly overweight, but plays international rugby.He weighs close to 140kgs(If not more) and is 6' tall and not all of it is muscle either.

1)Next you are going to tell us that overweight people aren't more likely to have problems with knees or other joints in life? That sleep-apnea isn't 500% more common with those 40kilo overweight or more? And on the list goes.

1) No.What the heck has this got to do with a heart :o I qualified my answer..can't you read?

So you are saying that putting on more stress on the joints isn't going to cause reprocussions that will start showing later in life. Wow, you just singelhandedly revolutionized the medical world.

No please go and fetch your Nobel Price.

For us others it's quite obious why they denied the application.

what about those Sumo wrestlers in Japan?

they're fat enought to be classed obese in USA, yet they say they're as fit as any football player...

Nonsense. Just what the TV forums need, more hot air.

"you see, this is how internet fiction gets started - someone posts some rubbish and someone else believes it . . . ."

Why not just google before shooting off your mouth here? You're online anyway, it'd take about 2 minutes.

http://www.asianweek.com/2001_02_09/news1_...thproblems.html

"Because of sumo’s emphasis on size and heft, its practitioners tend to be notoriously unhealthy. And the problem goes far beyond muscle-pulls and bruised backs.

Knees, ankles and hips are often permanently damaged under the weight of 400 pounds or more. Worse yet, years of deliberately cultivated obesity can mean chronic health problems after retirement — high blood pressure, hardened arteries and diabetes, according to Kimio Yamada, director of the Sumo Association’s health clinic."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/spotli...mo-retirees.htm

"Sumos have a life expectancy of under 60 years. 'Men live well into their 80s in Japan,' says Ikeda, 'so there's little doubt that carrying around a lot of extra weight is stressful.'"

1) No.What the heck has this got to do with a heart :D I qualified my answer..can't you read?

So you are saying that putting on more stress on the joints isn't going to cause reprocussions that will start showing later in life. Wow, you just singelhandedly revolutionized the medical world.

No please go and fetch your Nobel Price.

For us others it's quite obious why they denied the application.

What part of no don't you understand..hmmmmm? :o

what about those Sumo wrestlers in Japan?

they're fat enought to be classed obese in USA, yet they say they're as fit as any football player...

Nonsense. Just what the TV forums need, more hot air.

"you see, this is how internet fiction gets started - someone posts some rubbish and someone else believes it . . . ."

Why not just google before shooting off your mouth here? You're online anyway, it'd take about 2 minutes.

http://www.asianweek.com/2001_02_09/news1_...thproblems.html

"Because of sumo’s emphasis on size and heft, its practitioners tend to be notoriously unhealthy. And the problem goes far beyond muscle-pulls and bruised backs.

Knees, ankles and hips are often permanently damaged under the weight of 400 pounds or more. Worse yet, years of deliberately cultivated obesity can mean chronic health problems after retirement — high blood pressure, hardened arteries and diabetes, according to Kimio Yamada, director of the Sumo Association’s health clinic."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/spotli...mo-retirees.htm

"Sumos have a life expectancy of under 60 years. 'Men live well into their 80s in Japan,' says Ikeda, 'so there's little doubt that carrying around a lot of extra weight is stressful.'"

really?

I didn't know that - thanks for those links.

They contradict the special I saw on TV about the Hawaiian guy who switched from US football to Sumo. IIRC he said that all the activity and exercise makes up for the excess calories.

Let's go "sumo town" says: "their health condition is excellent; actually, they are a kind of pro-sports players, not ordinary fat guys."

but anyway, we're getting a bit OT.

Thanks again for the insight.