Gluten Free Foods

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

as there is no gluten in rice or rice noodles as far as i know from various friends who share your dislike you should be able to eat just about anything here in regular thai restaurants or street stalls including soups ,except for pastry and breads of course .:D

Edited by uptoyoumyfriend

as there is no gluten in rice or rice noodles as far as i know from various friends who share your dislike you should be able to eat just about anything here in regular thai restaurants or street stalls including soups ,except for pastry and breads of course .:D

Quoted for truth

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Be very careful when ordering anything noodles, in restaurant or street vendor. As many do contain wheat (bpeeng-saa-lii Spelling?) Egg noodles normally contain wheat, also noodles that are crinkly and yellow in colour also contain wheat.

jb1

I've seen some gluten free foods sold at Villa Market.

Hi,

Where is Villa Market? Also some of the larger Carrefour Supermarkets, have a selection of gluten free products.

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1
  • 6 months later...

Most Thai cookings contain gluten in the form of soy sauce. So soups might not be safe when buy from street stalls as they usually use soy sauce in their soups. While rice and rice noodle are safe to eat, once they're cooked with other condiments/ingredients that's when Celiac Disease sufferers should be aware of.

• 1 year later...

Beware of all soups, big chance they've used the number one stock choice: Unilever's Knorr

It contains wheat (แป้งสาลี - bpaeng-saalee)

Why stock needs wheat, is a real puzzle to me...

The multinationals are rerally pushing the Western food in Thailand.

Milk is finding it's way into Thai dishes too. Regardless the fact that the mayority of Thai people are lactose intolerant.

Have you noticed the increase in fat Thai over the past years?

That is because of being able to afford more deep fried and sugary Thai foods, rather than anything Western.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Im actually impressed by the amount of gluten free foods available here. Enter villa and almost everything has the option of gluten free. Back in NY it was a chore to find gluten free foods for most products unless you went to a specialty store. Granted your going to pay alot more here cause anything thats gluten free is import but that's to be expected with celiacs regardless of where you live.

That is because of being able to afford more deep fried and sugary Thai foods, rather than anything Western.

you mean like ice-cream, Lays, dairy fruit drinks, S&P, pizza, KFC, Coke among many others ... ????? That is what I see the children eating.

Of my 245 Isarn students, age 9-12, 8% is obese + about 40% is too fat.

That they have to drink Nestle milk at school now, in a country where 70% of the people used to be lactose intolerant, shows the power of the multinationals.

The ones sticking to Thai diet are not fat. Being gluten & dairy intolerant, I stick to a Thai diet too and I have a BMI of 20 (same as non-fat Thai men). BTW It's not eating fat that makes you fat, it's carbs.

Carbs, fats and proteins do not make you gain body fat it is excess calories, weather that comes in the form of excess fats, proteins or carbs is irrelevant. A calorie is a calorie, your body treats 100calories worth of rice just as it would 100calories worth of fat.

BMI is also highly subjective, anyone with any decent amount of muscle mass will instantly be consdiered overweight if not obese. Im currently showing top 4 abs with a BMI of 24.3, so im overweight/high end of normal.

An anorexic version of myself would be in the low normal range.

It's not that simple 1 cal=1 cal.

Carbs boosts insulin.

Besides on a low starch/sugar diet it is very hard to get too many calories.

Yes, BMI is a bad way to measure correct weight, also the range is far too wide. It only served to have an easy comparison.

Being gluten and dairy intolerant, I've decided to just eat the same as my Thai colleagues and as a result my weight and volume is in the same range as theirs.

One could argue any statement, making it a bit useless to post anything. However I've noticed Thai children eating a lot of Western food and getting fat. Also 90% of the farang in Isarn carry a big belly (they did not change their farang eating habits). Yet people sticking to a traditional Thai diet are not fat.

Gluten and dairy common in Western food have been proven to be unhealthy in some studies (please do not start on arguing this). Thai food is very low on gluten and does not contain dairy.

So, I would say, if one wants to lose weight, try it and see if it works. It worked for me, who knows, it might work for someone else too. No harm in trying, right?

I hope with this to close a rather pointless discussion.