Gluten Free Foods

Aatsi

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

as there is no gluten in rice or rice noodles as far as i know from various friends who share your dislike you should be able to eat just about anything here in regular thai restaurants or street stalls including soups ,except for pastry and breads of course .:D

Edited by uptoyoumyfriend

as there is no gluten in rice or rice noodles as far as i know from various friends who share your dislike you should be able to eat just about anything here in regular thai restaurants or street stalls including soups ,except for pastry and breads of course .:D

Quoted for truth

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Be very careful when ordering anything noodles, in restaurant or street vendor. As many do contain wheat (bpeeng-saa-lii Spelling?) Egg noodles normally contain wheat, also noodles that are crinkly and yellow in colour also contain wheat.

jb1

• 6 months later...

Most Thai cookings contain gluten in the form of soy sauce. So soups might not be safe when buy from street stalls as they usually use soy sauce in their soups. While rice and rice noodle are safe to eat, once they're cooked with other condiments/ingredients that's when Celiac Disease sufferers should be aware of.

• 1 year later...

Beware of all soups, big chance they've used the number one stock choice: Unilever's Knorr

It contains wheat (แป้งสาลี - bpaeng-saalee)

Why stock needs wheat, is a real puzzle to me...

The multinationals are rerally pushing the Western food in Thailand.

Milk is finding it's way into Thai dishes too. Regardless the fact that the mayority of Thai people are lactose intolerant.

Have you noticed the increase in fat Thai over the past years?

Im actually impressed by the amount of gluten free foods available here. Enter villa and almost everything has the option of gluten free. Back in NY it was a chore to find gluten free foods for most products unless you went to a specialty store. Granted your going to pay alot more here cause anything thats gluten free is import but that's to be expected with celiacs regardless of where you live.

That is because of being able to afford more deep fried and sugary Thai foods, rather than anything Western.

you mean like ice-cream, Lays, dairy fruit drinks, S&P, pizza, KFC, Coke among many others ... ????? That is what I see the children eating.

Of my 245 Isarn students, age 9-12, 8% is obese + about 40% is too fat.

That they have to drink Nestle milk at school now, in a country where 70% of the people used to be lactose intolerant, shows the power of the multinationals.

The ones sticking to Thai diet are not fat. Being gluten & dairy intolerant, I stick to a Thai diet too and I have a BMI of 20 (same as non-fat Thai men). BTW It's not eating fat that makes you fat, it's carbs.

Carbs, fats and proteins do not make you gain body fat it is excess calories, weather that comes in the form of excess fats, proteins or carbs is irrelevant. A calorie is a calorie, your body treats 100calories worth of rice just as it would 100calories worth of fat.

BMI is also highly subjective, anyone with any decent amount of muscle mass will instantly be consdiered overweight if not obese. Im currently showing top 4 abs with a BMI of 24.3, so im overweight/high end of normal.

An anorexic version of myself would be in the low normal range.

It's not that simple 1 cal=1 cal.

Carbs boosts insulin.

Besides on a low starch/sugar diet it is very hard to get too many calories.

Yes, BMI is a bad way to measure correct weight, also the range is far too wide. It only served to have an easy comparison.

Being gluten and dairy intolerant, I've decided to just eat the same as my Thai colleagues and as a result my weight and volume is in the same range as theirs.

One could argue any statement, making it a bit useless to post anything. However I've noticed Thai children eating a lot of Western food and getting fat. Also 90% of the farang in Isarn carry a big belly (they did not change their farang eating habits). Yet people sticking to a traditional Thai diet are not fat.

Gluten and dairy common in Western food have been proven to be unhealthy in some studies (please do not start on arguing this). Thai food is very low on gluten and does not contain dairy.

So, I would say, if one wants to lose weight, try it and see if it works. It worked for me, who knows, it might work for someone else too. No harm in trying, right?

I hope with this to close a rather pointless discussion.

Carbs boosts insulin.

Besides on a low starch/sugar diet it is very hard to get too many calories.

Yes, BMI is a bad way to measure correct weight, also the range is far too wide. It only served to have an easy comparison.

Being gluten and dairy intolerant, I've decided to just eat the same as my Thai colleagues and as a result my weight and volume is in the same range as theirs.

One could argue any statement, making it a bit useless to post anything. However I've noticed Thai children eating a lot of Western food and getting fat. Also 90% of the farang in Isarn carry a big belly (they did not change their farang eating habits). Yet people sticking to a traditional Thai diet are not fat.

Gluten and dairy common in Western food have been proven to be unhealthy in some studies (please do not start on arguing this). Thai food is very low on gluten and does not contain dairy.

So, I would say, if one wants to lose weight, try it and see if it works. It worked for me, who knows, it might work for someone else too. No harm in trying, right?

I hope with this to close a rather pointless discussion.

1 cal = 1 cal it is as simple as that.

But it is better to eat food that gives you the right nutrients and stuff. However if you eat 2000 cals of oats or 2000 calls of vegetables it wont make any difference for weight loss.

I brought my weight down and i still eat carbs (oatmeal).

I myself have found that Thai foot is real fattening and my western food is not. But then again it all depends what you count as western food. I see McD and KFC as fastfood and bad western food. But im perry sure if you eat the fried chicken on the road its just as bad if not worse as the KFC.

You say do not argue that dairy and gluten is bad for you based on studies? Why bring it up on a discussion board if you don't want to discuss it? Id love to see any study's even coming close to suggesting that dairy has any negative heath effects on a non lactose intolerant person.

As well as 1cal = 1 cal, it is as basic as that, sure simbple carbs are digested quicker in turn not using as much energy to digest them but it will end up being such a miniscule difference than its not even worth considering.

Im glad switching to a thai diet of extremely high salts and veggies has worked towards your goals. But id personally have an extra 500calories a day to deal with than the grams of salt Thais generally incorporate into their foods. Theres a reason nearly 70% of Thais have some form of hypertension.

do not argue here about the studies as it is done already among the scientists, let them handle that. This is not a science forum.

Google and you'll find as much pro's as con's about dairy. Up to each to decide which side to take.

Really don't see your problem about traditional Thai food as opposed to western food.

The topic is linked to celiac. Many more people out there who are not aware yet of their intolerance to dairy and gluten. Some might feel very nice on the Thai diet.

And then there are the people who switched to paleo or caveman's diet. They are happy with that dairy/starch free diet.

What's the big deal for people to try a diet different to what they are used to? Maybe the'll feel great, maybe not. Besides nobody is forcing you to do it, right?

So lighten up and enjoy life. You on your diet and me on mine. All others may choose whatever they want. I do not really care, I'm just telling what worked for me and offer it as a solution to others.

That is because of being able to afford more deep fried and sugary Thai foods, rather than anything Western.

you mean like ice-cream, Lays, dairy fruit drinks, S&P, pizza, KFC, Coke among many others ... ?????

No. I mean things like fried noodles sprinkled with sugar. Pad Thai is one of the most unhealthy dishes there is. Also, deep fried bugs, pork rinds, pumpkin chips and so on. A lot of Thai food is not healthy at all.

Edited by Ulysses G.

you mean like ice-cream, Lays, dairy fruit drinks, S&P, pizza, KFC, Coke among many others ... ?????

No. I mean things like fried noodles sprinkled with sugar. Pad Thai is one of the most unhealthy dishes there is. Also, deep fried bugs, pork rinds, pumpkin chips and so on. A lot of Thai food is not healthy at all.

Come on we can't say that we can only say Western food is bad. I agree that both Thai and Western food is good and bad, depending on what is eaten.

• Like 1

Im actually struggling to think of any Thai dish that would be considered fairly healthy, everything is either coated in sugary sauce, or using salt above reason. Just tonight on the trip home i picked up a fish for the gf, its the all common fish with a actual crust of salt on it then cooked, no salt was removed in the eating of this and some chilli/salt/fish sauce mix was made to go along with this. The amount of sodium in her dinner tonight has to be in the range of 4-6g thats what a normally person gets in 3-4 days.

Im actually struggling to think of any Thai dish that would be considered fairly healthy, everything is either coated in sugary sauce, or using salt above reason. Just tonight on the trip home i picked up a fish for the gf, its the all common fish with a actual crust of salt on it then cooked, no salt was removed in the eating of this and some chilli/salt/fish sauce mix was made to go along with this. The amount of sodium in her dinner tonight has to be in the range of 4-6g thats what a normally person gets in 3-4 days.

I eat laab gai cause i consider it fairly heathy plus there are days i cant cook every meal for myself. Especially when im out i need to eat something then go for this dish or for the khao man gai (without the rice)

Carbs boosts insulin.

Carbs only "boost" insulin if you have insulin resistance. In that case carbs will quickly turn to fat as too much insulin with nothing to do seems to stimulate visceral fat production - which is actually a different type of fat.

Those big bellies you were talking about in 90% of Farang men - that's what it is. As most Farang here are more advanced in age, the insulin resistance/diabetes is starting to rear its ugly head (or gut in this case LOL). Bear in mind that the majority of people with insulin resistance (pre-diabetes) are undiagnosed and by the time they are diagnosed they are far along the diabetic path of destruction.

Normal insulin metabolism + too many calories (any source) = predominantly subcutaneous fat.

Impaired insulin metabolism (insulin resistance) + too many carbs = big gut.

If a person does have insulin resistance, the high blood sugar levels are more of a concern though, as that causes cellular damage and accelerated aging. The fat is merely an indicator or symptom.

When my blood sugar levels are under control, a calorie is a calorie no matter the source. When I let things slide and my insulin resistance goes up carbs become my biggest enemy.

(Note: I am not presenting this as scientific fact but rather as personal opinion derived from my own research and personal experience as a pre-diabetic)

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Carbs boosts insulin.

Carbs only "boost" insulin if you have insulin resistance. In that case carbs will quickly turn to fat as too much insulin with nothing to do seems to stimulate visceral fat production - which is actually a different type of fat.

Those big bellies you were talking about in 90% of Farang men - that's what it is. As most Farang here are more advanced in age, the insulin resistance/diabetes is starting to rear its ugly head (or gut in this case LOL). Bear in mind that the majority of people with insulin resistance (pre-diabetes) are undiagnosed and by the time they are diagnosed they are far along the diabetic path of destruction.

Normal insulin metabolism + too many calories (any source) = predominantly subcutaneous fat.

Impaired insulin metabolism (insulin resistance) + too many carbs = big gut.

If a person does have insulin resistance, the high blood sugar levels are more of a concern though, as that causes cellular damage and accelerated aging. The fat is merely an indicator or symptom.

When my blood sugar levels are under control, a calorie is a calorie no matter the source. When I let things slide and my insulin resistance goes up carbs become my biggest enemy.

(Note: I am not presenting this as scientific fact but rather as personal opinion derived from my own research and personal experience as a pre-diabetic)

I bow before your knowledge on this field, but tropo do you think that if your eating at a deficit and you have an impaired insulin metabolism you still get fat ? Or because its a deficit you don't ? I can understand carbs being turned to fat if you have a surplus and impaired insulin metabolism.

I bow before your knowledge on this field, but tropo do you think that if your eating at a deficit and you have an impaired insulin metabolism you still get fat ? Or because its a deficit you don't ? I can understand carbs being turned to fat if you have a surplus and impaired insulin metabolism.

That's a very good question and to be honest, I hadn't given it any thought.

Maybe even a deficit can be turned into visceral fat as I've seen quite a few skinny guys with proportionately big guts.

The fact that I can display abs with fairly low subcutaneous body fat (under 10% on a pinch test) yet sport a big midsection gives me a clue it is possible.

Right now I'm happy that my gut is slowly reducing in size. I believe it is because I am being meticulous about my blood sugar levels. Right now my body can handle carbs and they're being used efficiently.

Edited by tropo

That's a very good question and to be honest, I hadn't given it any thought.

Maybe even a deficit can be turned into visceral fat as I've seen quite a few skinny guys with proportionately big guts.

The fact that I can display abs with fairly low subcutaneous body fat (under 10% on a pinch test) yet sport a big midsection gives me a clue it is possible.

Right now I'm happy that my gut is slowly reducing in size. I believe it is because I am being meticulous about my blood sugar levels. Right now my body can handle carbs and they're being used efficiently.

From what I know, if you are insulin resistant, you can still get fat on a deficit. In the case of insulin resistance, the calories do matter but also where you get them from ie your macro split. In such cases, a low carb diet works to alleviate blood sugar abnormalities in the day to day, but it won't "cure" the underlying insulin resistance, so whenever the person does increase their carbohydrate intake, they will inevitably gain some fat (along with water weight). I was reading Lyle McDonald's book (The Ketogenic Diet) yesterday where he talks about this pretty extensively. In fact he also mentions that doing the Ketogenic Diet long-term can actually lead to insulin sensitivity since the carb intake is very limited, therefore it's important to only do such a diet for a little while, or cycle carbs (either 1-2 days of the week or post-workout only). Even then one shouldn't be on it for more than 12 weeks.

The reality of "metabolic damage" is very real and even more research is coming out these days about it. It's important to switch over from eating in a deficit to eating in maintenance mode for a little while. This is why you'll see a lot of athletes or lifters do a "cut" (deficit) then a "recomp" (maintenance).

It's more complicated the more you go into the specifics but it's not impossible to learn about these things. The folks who are caught up in the low carb fad don't understand this and say "I lost weight on low carb, then I ate some carbs the other day and felt miserable so I'm going back to low carb." It's a vicious cycle where they're just giving themselves insulin resistance. Any diet long-term will have diminishing returns as the body will adjust to the deficit. It's very important to cycle calories (as well as macronutrients) rather than constantly restricting them.