Excellent Car Repair Experience In Chiang Mai ...

orang37

Sawasdee Khrup, TV CM friends,

Note : if you don't speak Thai, you should probably be sure and have someone with you who does if you use this garage.

Recently we decided the car should be sold (we violated our "no have car" oath made twelve years ago when we got cancer a few years ago).

But the car, alas, had multiple dings from unknown hit-and-run friends, including one savage deep dent in the right front bumper, a busted left headlight and signal light, damage to the rear right corner of the car, needed a new rear bumper, etc.

The car registration had also expired six months ago (no, we were not driving the car).

Through a farang (who does not use ThaiVisa), we heard about Khun Somkhot's garage not far from the railway station.

Khun Somkhot promised everything fixed within one week for 11,500 baht which included the cost of getting a new registration sticker for this year (2553 BE). The Honda dealer's quote was over 40k baht !

The work was completed exactly one week later, the final price was the agreed upon price, and, to our surprise and joy, the car looked like it almost had a brand new paint job. All the lights and signals working properly.

So, we're happy to recommend Khun Somkhot's garage to you with the disclaimer, of course, given TIT, that "your mileage may vary," and "this offer may be void in your state."

Directions :

1. cross the River Ping on the main (Nawarat) bridge heading east out of town on to the main road Thanon Charoen Muang.

2. At the third red light, after you have passed a 7/11 on your left : make a left turn (go north) : that street is Thanon Tee Vee Utit.

3. proceed down Tee Vee Utit (about 100 meters) looking for a small soi on your left where a faded sign tells you "Bumrungrad Soi 3" : turn left (you are now heading west) and proceed down that soi past rows of stacked up wrecked vehicles about fifty meters and look for the opening to Khum Somkhot's shop on your right.

Is it against the rules to post a phone number for his shop ? : well, please PM us if you want the number, and if the Mods tell us we can post the phone number, we'll add it on this thread.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37
  • Thanks 1

great to hear a good tradesmen story for a change

To add another 'good tradesman story'--my clutch went yesterday and dumped me on the entry road to Airport Plaza--I called a Thai friend, who is a car dealer [ yes, I know, not the most respected breed on the planet, but this guy is pure gold] my friend arrived within 30 mins with his mechanic who then negotiated driving my clutch-less car all the way back to Hang Dong, with a somewhat scared 'me' as passenger; we arrived at the mechanic's garage at 4.p.m.--he then moved back onto the job that he had abandoned to come and rescue me, and I walked home leaving him my phone number and hearing the usual 'I'll call you when the car is ready'--I expected this to be at best the following day--my phone rang at 6.10 p.m. and the mechanic told me that my car was repaired and I could collect it--total cost for replacement of broken clutch cable, collection from town, and all labour was 870 baht--I gave him 900 and he was chuffed.

I agree with Orang37--though not too common, there are some genuine, honest and very competent workpeople out there.

If anyone is keen to know where this guy works drop me a PM--I don't want hoardes of TV-ers ruining a good thing.

• Thanks 1

Sawasdee Khrup, TV CM Friends,

In the original message :

2. At the third red light, after you have passed a 7/11 on your left : make a left turn (go north) : that street is Thanon Tee Vee Utit.

For the sake of accuracy : the street name you turn left (north) on ... from Charoen Muang heading east ... is "Teewee Utit" (as listed in English on the street sign).

Edited by orang37

We have only had good experiences with mechanics in Thailand.

i wouldnt know of any personally,......I drive Toyota :D:D

The ones that "GO" when you don't want and don't "STOP" when you want :) .

the top man has apologized, but i feel i need to be re-imbursed as i have lost face now :D

• 3 months later...

After reading this post, I went to look for Khun Somkhot's garage. We met him and told him our problem - our old car does not shift out of 1st gear (auto trans). We'd been quoted 10-20,000 THB repairs by 2 other mechanics.

Khun Somkhot suggested that he come to our home to see what was wrong. He came today (Sunday!) with 2 of his men. They spent about 45 minutes, a short test drive, some tinkering below the car, and then another test drive. He said he needed to callibrate the throttle cable - something to that effect - and the problem was sorted! His charge was 200 THB.

He also said that if we needed to fix the transmission, it'd just be a few thousand baht to get an old spare, not the large figures we were quoted.

We are very happy and grateful, thanks for posting this O37.

Paul

• Like 1

I had a similarly positive experience with Khun Daychaa, whose shop is close to where Orang describes. His shop was apologetic about the amount he had to charge me, when I expected a bill twice as large! As I read this thread I think it is fortunate that the various mechanics will not do so, or they would probably all increase their rates (and still be cheap at the price).

• 10 years later...
On 2/24/2010 at 4:27 PM, orang37 said:

Sawasdee Khrup, TV CM friends,

Note : if you don't speak Thai, you should probably be sure and have someone with you who does if you use this garage.

Recently we decided the car should be sold (we violated our "no have car" oath made twelve years ago when we got cancer a few years ago).

But the car, alas, had multiple dings from unknown hit-and-run friends, including one savage deep dent in the right front bumper, a busted left headlight and signal light, damage to the rear right corner of the car, needed a new rear bumper, etc.

The car registration had also expired six months ago (no, we were not driving the car).

Through a farang (who does not use ThaiVisa), we heard about Khun Somkhot's garage not far from the railway station.

Khun Somkhot promised everything fixed within one week for 11,500 baht which included the cost of getting a new registration sticker for this year (2553 BE). The Honda dealer's quote was over 40k baht !

The work was completed exactly one week later, the final price was the agreed upon price, and, to our surprise and joy, the car looked like it almost had a brand new paint job. All the lights and signals working properly.

So, we're happy to recommend Khun Somkhot's garage to you with the disclaimer, of course, given TIT, that "your mileage may vary," and "this offer may be void in your state."

Directions :

1. cross the River Ping on the main (Nawarat) bridge heading east out of town on to the main road Thanon Charoen Muang.

3. proceed down Tee Vee Utit (about 100 meters) looking for a small soi on your left where a faded sign tells you "Bumrungrad Soi 3" : turn left (you are now heading west) and proceed down that soi past rows of stacked up wrecked vehicles about fifty meters and look for the opening to Khum Somkhot's shop on your right.

Is it against the rules to post a phone number for his shop ? : well, please PM us if you want the number, and if the Mods tell us we can post the phone number, we'll add it on this thread.

Sounds good, is he still there as this thread is 10 years old....