Buddhist "blessing" In The Roof

Forethat

I have noticed that a lot of second hand cars have the Buddhist "blessing" in the roof in shape of white scribbling and three gold leafs, normally found on vehicles owned by Thais. I think they call it "djeum" or something similar.

A seller of a car claims that he can remove it, but I doubt it can be taken care of without leaving substantial traces of the operation.

Anyone with experiences of this? Can it be removed?

If it's a vinyl top, you can use a whet brush with soap. If it's a velour headliner, you could whet brush it too, but the glue gonna be lose and the top will hang down, i guess it's better to replace the top. Cost about 2'500 to 3'000 Baht for a new one.

First car I bought in Thailand was second-hand (never again, BTW!) and the blessing had been done with some gold leaf, white paint/powder and a piece of red cloth. I have never been at all superstitious and so I cleaned it all off and the car was actually stolen the following month, so that gave me pause for thought. The thief was probably Thai and rationally could have selected my car because it lacked the 'blessing'. On the plus side I'm happy to report that removing it left no trace on the vinyl headliner so I think it's going to be unnecessary to replace the entire thing!

I hold that superstitious and nonsense beliefs are far more commonly held amongst Westerners than anyone will comfortably admit. It's really common for people to believe that their car actually drives better after they wash and wax it (lots of people think that), people think their car can 'feel' and be 'pushed', and most people think their car is human-like or has human qualities; half of drivers think of their cars as being a particular sex and around a fifth name their cars. So if Thai's only stick with the blessing, who am I to argue.

• Haha 1