Vat Refund - Primer

FarangBuddha

I recently traveled out and back to Thailand and while at the airport, I spied a brochure pertaining to the procedures for claiming your VAT refunds for goods purchased in Thailand. I picked it up for my own benefit and post the information here so as to inform others. there is often confusion surrounding this whole matter so hopefully this will be helpful. This is "official" information from the brochure entitled "Get you VAT Refund" published by The Revenue Department of Thailand (www.rd.go.th/vrt).

Who Qualifies:

Any non-Thai visitor who is not an airline crew member and departs Thailand by air from an international airport. (These are Bangkok, Chiang Mai, U-Tapao, Hat Yai, and Phuket)

How to Shop and Get Your Refund:

1. Shop must display the "VAT Refund For Tourists" sign.

2. Total purchases must be at least B5000 per person (VAT included). [Not sure what they mean, if a family of 4 is traveling together, do they need at least B20,000 in purchases to qualify for refunds or if only one person in the group is claiming a refund on an item, he/she must have made at least B5000 in purchases during the trip?]

3. Spend minimum of B2000 (VAT included) per store per day.

4. Show passport and complete VAT Refund Application at the store on the date of purchase.

5. Attached the ORIGINAL TAX INVOICE

True...but if you are a tourist or a resident who can take advantage of the refund, it would be cumulative. So the discount would be 14%...unless the member card discount is in lieu of the VAT refund scheme.

worldfun said:
Many shops/retail groups like Central have free membership cards for foreigners allowing tax free purchases on the spot (7% off regular prices) & thus a more hassle free way to avoid Thai VAT

Have done this......pretty painless. Basically a 2 step process at the airport.

As stated you need to have the goods inspected and your VAT form stamped before going thru immigation.

Yes, you need to leave the Original Sales receipt with the refund office, so if you need a copy make one before hand.

The refund office is in the departures hall (where all the shops are), actually I think there may be at least 2 of them, the one I used was after a left turn leaving the immigration hall and security on my way to the gate.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is very important to do the VAT refund process especially yher customs inspection before checking in because they will need to see the goods.

If the goods are checked in the baggage and they ask to see the goods you can't get your bags back.

Also a VAT refund slip/invoice is a must. Can't just be a sales receipt but a VAT refund invoice which has to be asked for usually in customer service counters at bigger stores that have VAT refund available.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I just recently went thought this process and it took all of 2 minutes. I bought a computer and had the forms filled out by the sales clerk at the computer store, all ready to go upon arrival at the airport. I was not asked to show what I bought. There is a 100 baht "administration" fee.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How strict are they with the 60 day rule?

I've got the same question.

If I am leaving Thailand on 60th day, can I get Vat Refund?

For example I've bought notebook on 27 Jan and want to go abroad on 27 March, will I get Vat Refund in this case?

• 1 year later...

How strict are they with the 60 day rule?

I've got the same question.

If I am leaving Thailand on 60th day, can I get Vat Refund?

For example I've bought notebook on 27 Jan and want to go abroad on 27 March, will I get Vat Refund in this case?

They are very strict on the 60 day rule. I bought a watch and was under the (wrong) impression that the time limit was 90 days. When I made the cliam at the airport, I was 1 (one) day overdue; NO VAT refund.

This happened 8 months ago.

Frm-Bkk

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
On 26/10/2013 at 1:30 AM, hyperdimension said:

Well, I don't like it. Before the new policy, you'd get the total of said VAT refunded, which amounted to 7% of the purchase price.

I for one was not aware of this new policy when I purchased a laptop last week in Pantip Plaza, and had an unpleasant surprise:

Total Payment = 29000 Baht

Total VAT = 1956.07 Baht

Total VAT Refundable = 1500 Baht

Now I wonder whether the 100 Baht fee still apllies?

• 6 months later...

Anybody has experience claiming VAT refund while on another visa than tourist or visa exemption stamp? I got an ED at the moment and will spend 2 weeks at home over christmas, can I reclaim VAT or not?

For the others: Did they check your tourist visa and stuff or only the vat refund form and a look at the product?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 29/04/2014 at 9:58 PM, hegenious said:
On 26/10/2013 at 1:30 AM, hyperdimension said:

Well, I don't like it. Before the new policy, you'd get the total of said VAT refunded, which amounted to 7% of the purchase price.

I for one was not aware of this new policy when I purchased a laptop last week in Pantip Plaza, and had an unpleasant surprise:

Total Payment = 29000 Baht

Total VAT = 1956.07 Baht

Total VAT Refundable = 1500 Baht

Now I wonder whether the 100 Baht fee still apllies?

That explains my recent go at it.....

I thought I'd been short changed but as I shouldn't qualify I didn't query it despite noticing.

• 1 year later...

I am here on a retirement extension.

Can I claim VAT refund when I leave Bangkok next month?

Just bought a laptop,Will be taking it with me and have required forms.

Only about 1700 baht tax to reclaim if possible.

• 3 years later...

Archived