1080 Vs 720: Interesting Test

klikster

I'm sure if you tested between black and white and colour you'd get a few people preferring the black and white. I can see 720p looking better with a poorer source but the writer doesn't go into specifics of how he set the test up exactly so it's hard to take anything away from the piece.

• 1 month later...

IMHO: Test done wrong. Are they trying to compare resolutions or TV's?

The best way should be testing identical TV's and adjusted the inputs or outputs to display 720 or 1080 resolutions, but even this is not correct, since it would deviate from the LCD's native resolutions. Though it would be better than testing two different models.

From a technical standpoint, 1080 is better than 720. But when was the last time anyone watched a movie on two TV's side by side???

Price wise... 1080 should not be too much of a difference now... infact, with all the hype of 1080, 720 would probably on the way out by now.

The article isn't a technical one, and missing a lot of other informations, such as source quality.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I would have to say 1080 is better than 720 no argument, if people can see or appreciate the difference....too hard to say.

If they did this in high res, large screen with fast g2g rates then it would stand out nicely. kinda like the aperture grille lines all over again.

Cheers

This argument is years old. It's not too much of a big deal any more, since almost all new TV sets support 1080p. This was a hot topic back when 720p was affordable and 1080p was completely out of reach in terms of price for the general consumer.

After 3 years of HD ready Tv both in my home and in my restaurants, I'm using a few months a full HD (but high quality) LG 42" 240 Hz

Believe me, you can feel the difference. Playing yje same MKV 1080p in the full HD and HD ready, you can see a lot of difference in quality, and you mostly appreciate it from a 3 meters distance. From a 5/6 meters you cannot feel it so much.