What Is Your Internet Connection ?

Kanos

Hi,

What internet connection do you guys use and where are you located ? For what usage ? (downloading, surfing, gaming, ...) and are you happy with it ?

I'll move in a village near Chaiyaphum and need to know what options I have. If I can't find a good internet connection to play online games on international servers (need low latency connection) well then I'll just settle for another connection enough to download movies (unlimited?) and if that's not available too (I'll be damned :)) then just something enough to surf and chat with the family. I'll need to find a new hobby if I don't find a good connection :D

Thanks

Not sure whats available in your area. Here in Korat where I live there is a choice of TOT or TT&T. I have tried both and TT&T works the best in this area. I have the 3Mb Indy package for 595 baht per month and can download movies and watch streaming video. When I was in Lotus the other day there is a True booth there and they had a banner that read "True+3G+WiFi" so maybe Issan will be getting 3G which would be good for all who do not have telephone land line service.

Not sure whats available in your area. Here in Korat where I live there is a choice of TOT or TT&T. I have tried both and TT&T works the best in this area. I have the 3Mb Indy package for 595 baht per month and can download movies and watch streaming video. When I was in Lotus the other day there is a True booth there and they had a banner that read "True+3G+WiFi" so maybe Issan will be getting 3G which would be good for all who do not have telephone land line service.

What can you tell me about your connection ? Is it unlimited and do they throttle torrents ?

I know that the Chaiyaphum Lotus has a 3BB shop. Is that your connection?

I'll be living in a village +- 80 KM from Chaiyaphum so not sure about ADSL. My wife told me there is a phonebooth in the village and I think I saw the landline. I don't know if it is TOT or TT&T.

I have CAT CDMA, 3G which really means nothing. In Surin several are having problems with the connection, but most in villages have no choice. The phonebooth means nothing, they may not have internet available on that line. (my village is that way) CAT is now putting fiber into the village schools, I don't know the cost, it is a 1mb connection, so should be reasonable.

What can you tell me about your connection ? Is it unlimited and do they throttle torrents ?

I've had the TOT 4 meg package for about 3 months. I'm about 10k outside Khon Kaen city.

The first couple of weeks were relatively great considering where I am. Well seeded torrents were downloading at 300kB/s. Since then I've never seen over 180 on any torrent with most good ones averaging 130-140. :)

Unfortunately living in the sticks outside Si Sa Ket the phone line connections are very poor, so for the last few years I have had to use IP Star and connect to the web via the satellite. First using CS Loxinfo and then via TOT. TOT was cheaper and had better upload / download bandwidth than CS Loxinfo.

I recently changed to CAT CDMA 3G because i) no need to install a large dish in the garden and ii) its cheaper. TOT IP Star was coming in at about 3000 THB a month.

So far CAT CDMA has been ok with better upload / download bandwidth.

I have read in this forum that other CAT CDMA users are having problems due to oversubscription of the service. This seems indicative of most Thai telecom providers who promise the earth, take your money and then sit back (guess Western providers do this as well).

With the CAT CDMA (small USB modem stick which I stick in my router) I have been able to run normal web things on the PC as well as go online via my PS3 and Wii. Online gaming is possible and I've only experienced minor drop outs / delays.

To compare, today (Sunday 28/02/10), using broadband speedtest available on this forum my Download speed was 1699 kbps, my Upload speed was 323 kbps with an average ping time of 393 ms to the server in Singapore.

Hope it helps

Edited by Monkey Boy

I have Maxnet and my download is 0,22 Mbps, upload 0,13 Mbps and pingtime 104 ms.

I live about 4 km from the nearest adsl system. A slow landline.

So movies and online games ? I know what they are but looking and playing....forget it.

So it seems there a bunch of different providers that offers different stuff but in the end it's all the same. The school in the village has a satellite dish for internet. So I guess there is no ADSL otherwise they would use that.

So my only solution if no ADSL seems to be CAT CDMA or AIS. I already have that GPRS USB modem from a few years back but the internet was so slow ...

I heard that CAT CDMA is really better but a bigger investment ? And can you download how much you want or is their a monthly limit ?

Seems I'll have to forget play online games on my computer and find a new hobby then :)

So it seems there a bunch of different providers that offers different stuff but in the end it's all the same. The school in the village has a satellite dish for internet. So I guess there is no ADSL otherwise they would use that.

So my only solution if no ADSL seems to be CAT CDMA or AIS. I already have that GPRS USB modem from a few years back but the internet was so slow ...

I heard that CAT CDMA is really better but a bigger investment ? And can you download how much you want or is their a monthly limit ?

Seems I'll have to forget play online games on my computer and find a new hobby then :)

Your school is running IP star I would guess. Again, talk with CAT, they are going around and running fiber to the schools and replacing the IP star. don't know the cost but I would guess it is reasonable.

Yes it is unlimited and they do not throttle torrents. Here is an example of my speed.

732046314.png

When I was in Lotus the other day there is a True booth there and they had a banner that read "True+3G+WiFi" so maybe Issan will be getting 3G which would be good for all who do not have telephone land line service.

Isaan already has good coverage from CAT CDMA with speeds around 1.5 - 2 meg. The 3G services seem to be imposing a data restriction, which makes it expensive IMO

If you don't have a phone line, then get CAT CDMA, you may have to purchase an antenna to get a signal, but it's worth it. I have had little problem with this service so far, and it beats the crap out of the Ipstar system I had previously, on speed and cost.

totster :)

Edited by Totster

I hope the village has ADSL but if not then I'll definitely check out CAT CDMA. What kind of connection is that btw?

It works by using a USB dongle, and picks up a signal from the nearest CAT tower - pretty much the same as a 3G connection in the UK

totster :)