Chiang Dao

RamdomChances

Me and the wife are thinking of getting away for a few days, she has been on about doing a "trek" in the mountains for a few nights so it looks like we'll combine a couple of days in a hotel and a 2 night treck. I came up with this place from an internet search Chinag Dao nest

http://nest.chiangdao.com/

Anyone been there or have any info. It looks a nice setting, just want a quiet couple of days, but the treks seem a bit pricey (not that I really know much about them). What sold it for me was the food looks really good http://www.chiangdao.com/nest/food.htm.

Probably going somewhere next week so if anyones got any ifo or suggestions......

Cheers RC

Chiang Dao is a great spot, very beautiful & powerful in my opinion. I stayed at Chiang Dao Nest about 1.5 years ago. The bungalow was comfortable & basic. The food was fantastic & certainly not what you'd expect to find in a jungle hut beneath a towering peak. There's lots of walking to do around there & right now shouldn't be too bad - not too wet or too dry (I've seen big fires up there in the past). Can't comment on prices since I''ve never done an organized trek in Thailand. If you can, time your visit over a Tuesday & check out the weekly hill tribe market.

A couple of years ago, I did the Chiang Dao mountain trek, spending one night on the top. Stayed at Malee's bungalows (next door to that Nest place). Malee's been there ages & is very helpful. Excellent meals. She organised a guide & porter for the 2 of us. We had our own tent, so didn't need an organised trek (I thought they were expensive, too). We wouldn't have needed a porter, but for the fact there is NO water on the mountain, everything has to be carried up. Great trek though. Do a google for malee chiang dao, she has a website.

I really like Chiang Dao, we have been there three times for a night away from Chiang Mai. It's quiet and I've never been on a trek or anything like that but it's a great place to get away from it all.

Have stayed at Chiang Dao nest 1 and 2. 1 has great western food cooked by Wicha the co owner who trained in Norwich some of the best western food available in Northern Thailand I think.

Nest 2 has Thai food and is run by Wicha's sister. That's great too. Book though as they are both often full.