50% Thai & 50% English Schooling.

Hey all,

I'm from the UK, my wife is Thai and we have an incomparably wonderfueled little 6 year old daughter together.

Now without giving you our life stories, I am looking for what is truly a Bi-lingual school here. By that I mean a school that really does offer a 50/50 mix between thai and englsh education. Not just a place that offers Thai as "extra curricular" or as second place to english...

I'm not religious either, so I don't want her being spanked by nuns and friars if you know what I mean :o

I'm finding it very difficult finding a school that seems to show equal respect to the local language, culture and customs as it does to the european/american ones. Now I mean absolutely no offence to any of you that are teaching at International schools here (I did myself once upon a time, though not in this country), but I have just had some rather negative experiences with schools when enquiring about the level of importance given to thai...

If any of you have any advice, help or pointers I would really appreciate it...

Thanks,

W.

I believe what you are looking for has started just this term in selected goverment schools.

A friend is teaching English and Maths at a local school.

Another falang is teaching two other subjects.

It is a special course and the fees are doubled.

There are lots of different programs. EP means "English Program" and may teach English, math, science, history, geography in English, then all the Thai language & history and Buddhism in Thai. There is also -"MEP" or Mini-English, where typically English, math and science are the only courses taught in English (I did that last year). However, these programs are more likely offered in matayom schools rather than prathom.

It would seem that true bilingual schools should teach exactly 50% Thai and 50% English. I have yet to see a school that is set up that way despite what they all advertise. Even with a setup where they children received half their instruction in Thai and the other half in English, they are still spoken to in Thai by the Thai staff who outnumber the foreign staff plus their parents. As you would expect, the children often come out speaking little more English than they would pick up in a typical government school. A lot of their English skills or their desire to learn the language come from their own interests, their parents or both. I've had students in government school who were Thai but could speak English way better than kids from expensive private schools and vice versa.

I would say put your kid into a Thai school with an English programme or A "Bilingual School" but make sure yourself that the kid can speak English. Although I am sure it is easier said than done I think you can ensure that your child can speak English by trying to teach them it the natural way. If you play as active a part in your childs upbringing as your wife and her family and try to make sure that you try to immerse the kid in the English language as much as possible.

I've seen a few English teachers here who have Thai children that can speak hardly any English which I think is sad. However I've seen others who really stick to the theory of Mum and Dad speaking to their child in their own language and the kid soon works out the two languages seperately.

Like others have said you need to look for an English Program school. Some schools offer a higher English percentage then Thai because they are more focused on trying to immerse the kids in English so they can understand it. Thai language is crucial in this process because the child will fall behind in language development if this is not subsequently developed. Thats why Thai language is still an important part of the 'English Program'.

Many friends of mine have done it this way. If I return to Thailand and have kids I'll probably go this route.

Send the kids to a Thai primary school for the first 3 or 4 years. Gives them a grounding in the language. From then on, day to day usage outside the school will see them naturally up to speed in it fluently for the rest of their lives. By that stage they'll have the basic writing structures taught as well.

Aftet that, in year 4 send them to an English only language school, with predominantly farang kids. Remember, you are in Thailand, and it will be easy for the child to fall behind in the usage of English, as once they walk out the school gate, no one will speak it. They will then be in immersed in an environment where English is the primary language and they will learn to use it properly.

Remember, most children of migrants never learn to speak their parents language fluently if the only exposure is on a part time basis.

the difference between a thai primary school and an 'english only language school' (ie. international school) is vast. do you really want to put your kid in a class of 40, or worse. if language is your only concern then this might work but if you're concerned about quality of education then an EP school or international program is your only choice.

my kid is almost 3 and he's grown up in thailand. he can speak english perfectly well. its just a matter of spending time and talking to them.

lost_in_issan, I agree completely with what you're saying regarding spending time with your kids and immersing them in English at home. As far as international schools go, there is a huge dilemma: International schools will often surround Thai, Thai/farang and farang students with Western culture and ideas which basically cuts them off from the Thai community that surrounds them. As a result, your kids may have a hard time fitting in socially and culturally with the Thais which can cause all sorts of headaches. Perhaps the best choice, which is certainly less costly than an international school, is to find one of the better bilingual schools or one with an excellent/recognized EP program. That way your kids can get exposed to both the English language/Western culture as well as Thai/Thai culture. This will make them well rounded and they'll certainly have less trouble fitting in with either community.

Research into bilingual education has shown that although students are often better in the two languages of instruction, they generally do not perform so well in other subjects when educated in two languages, rather than one. You may wish to consider this.

Languages alone are not much use careerwise. They need to be combined with another skill or profession.

Edited by Rumpole

Research into bilingual education has shown that although students are often better in the two languages of instruction, they generally do not perform so well in other subjects when educated in two languages, rather than one. You may wish to consider this.

Languages alone are not much use careerwise. They need to be combined with another skill or profession.

Interesting point...their performance in other subjects can certainly make a difference in their chance to get into some universities/colleges. A lot of institutions are not concerned so much with what you know initially...they want to see your grades before letting you in.

Edited by Thaiboxer

A lot of institutions are not concerned so much with what you know initially...they want to see your grades before letting you in.

This is particularly true in Asia, TB. Here it is grades and only grades, to the exclusion of almost everything else. I think very few Asian universities consider the "whole" person.

Bilingual kindergartens were all the rage in Britain, and I believe also in the States and Canada a few years ago, but they rapidly decreased in popularity when it was discovered that except for an increased ability in the target (i.e. second or foreign) language itself, the kids were not as well-developed in other areas as their monolingual peers. Foreign language studies aside, it is fairly well-established that education is more effectively delivered in the students' mother tongue. The only exception to this is perhaps when the child is truly bilingual (i.e. has native fluency in both languages), due to having been raised using the two languages equally.

I think the the solution suggested above may be a better idea. Education in one language for a few years, then switching to the other for the later years, with each parent using their own language with the child at home.

Edited by Rumpole

I think look kleung (half Thai/half farang) kids have a great opportunity; the opportunity to become fluent in two or more languages and grow up learning about two or more cultures. One of the most important things you can do for your child or children is to make sure they are exposed to an equal amount (if possible) of each language the family can speak fluently. This is often easier said than done and certainly any look kleung growing up in Thailand will be better in Thai than in English (or other languages). However, there are plenty of look kleung who can switch back and forth between languages with ease and who fit in well with both cultures. I know some folks who are farang but speak Thai with their kids...not good in my book. I say give them a chance by speaking to them in your language and let the Thai family members take care of the Thai part. My aunt who lives in Mexico and speaks perfect Spanish has a simple household rule: only English is spoken at home. As a result my half cousins are all bilingual.

Hi Thaiboxer, a very good point there. My former neighbor at Samkampeng is an American, has a "look kerng" daughter. she is studying at one of the bilingual school in Chiengmai and speak fluent English with Amercan accent. It's definately a +plus to be bilingual.