Why Bother With Tefl?

• 4 weeks later...

I can attest to the program offered by SEE TEFL explained by John Quinn in an earlier post. I am a graduate of SEE who just finished his first year of teaching and even though THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT IN THAILAND to complete such training in order to teach, you would be providing a disservice to your school, your students and to yourself if you had no teaching experienced and decided not to take TEFL training. My school's administrator required (I already planned to do training, my future students deserved as much) I bring a TEFL certificate when I reported for my job or I would be turned away. This was a Thai EP director with many years of experience in the profession, so she knows what it takes.

I decided to forgo cheaper online classes because I knew in my heart that I would be better prepared if I attended a dedicated program that included real in-classroom teaching practices. I chose SEE TEFL after personally visiting and interviewing directors of programs. I have no regret whatsoever for choosing SEE. John and his organization prepared me for what I was about to do and I had a great 1st year, largely due to the training I received.

If I wasn't happy with the TEFL training that I received (it was no "walk in the park"), believe me...you would be hearing about it.

Regards

Edited by Martian

A TEFL certificate is by no means necessary. It does offer a few advantages for some people.

1. If you have not spent a lot of time living in Thailand, or you have not sat through a class in Thailand, the better courses will provide evaluated teaching practice in a comparable setting. My TEFL provider had me teach two classes in a hospital, which was good practice for my future corporate work. I also taught a government school class, which at least exposed me to teaching Thai children. An online class would not provide this important experience. Those who seek online TEFL certificates may be doing themselves a disservice.

2. Some language schools, and a few private schools, require a TEFL certificate, or at least strongly prefer a candidate who has one. So, without a TEFL certificate, you might restrict your choice of possible employers. Most government schools don't require a TEFL, but a few prefer a candidate who has passed a course with a reputable TEFL school.

3. As mentioned by a poster above, most TEFL schools provide job assistance. This might help some, especially if you don't have a bachelor's degree.

4. I learned a lot of the basics from my TEFL course. When I became a TKT instructor, these basics helped me. You might become good at lesson planning through the TEFL instruction, but you should also learn the fundamentals if you are going to teach even medium-sized classes for at least one full term. You will need to learn how to structure lessons and the course, as well as evaluating students and writing exams. Only a boring/bored teacher just follows the student book.

5. A good TEFL instructor will also provide instruction as to Thai culture. What you can not and should not do at school. Moreover, they should explain how a Non-B visa works, the work permit process, and getting extensions to stay. Also, they should go over the contract negotiation process and give a general overview as to how schools in Thailand operate. Basically, some of the things you need to know to stay and survive in Thailand.

All of the above, at one time or another, has applied to me. I had a good TEFL experience, but I think if a TEFL course is good, you still have to put in a lot of time, and be serious about the 120 hours of instruction. It's a cram course, and for some who are doing a lot of playing, they miss an opportunity, and subsequently reflect negatively on their experience. I would point out that I have received 3 of my job leads from my TEFL school, and they were some of the best teaching jobs I've had in Thailand.