How Do You Become A Tourist Police?

gravion

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the advantages of being a tourist police?

you mean the guys hanging in pattaya walking street in uniforms ?

or you mean real Tourist Police officers ?

as for the first ... the only advantage you may get is that you feel more protected ..

but the reality can shift rather quickly .. (see recent storrys about someone even trained them before) [do you really want that?]

as for the secound ... well known, educated, some relation to the country and the force is essential.

there is also another big difference between the 1st and 2nd group ... as the 2nd ones get paid with local currency and pay taxes too :)

I refuse to knock them anymore, but it seems that a requirement is time.

I would not give up my time to be a volunteer policeman in Thailand, I would rather help people in other ways.

But I have to wonder, if some do volunteer for the wrong reasons or have a hidden agenda.

Hopefully future screening of candidates will confirm the applicant's genuine altruism.

Edited by syd barrett

Notwithstanding the snarky replies, I too am really curious about the question of why somebody would choose to be a TP volunteer. There must be some advantage or satisfaction in the job as it seems like a lot of time and trouble and a lot of crap that these people subject themselves to dealing with.

Is it all about the "under the table" advantages of knowing some "big police"?

Or is it just the power trip of playing cop? (I'm sure true of some, but very hard to believe this one covers them all)

Ir is it the warm glow of satisfaction for helping others? (also hard to believe given the work, but I'm sure true of some)

Or are there some other hidden reasons for devoting so much time and effort into what appears to be a pretty mundane and thankless job?

Edited by bobo42

Go and see Howard in Pattaya the ' godfather ' of the tourist police :D . You have to go on 1 year assault course designed by Horward himself. The pass rate is 5 %. Ex Navy seals have been known to fail this course ! Most die within the first week. But if you can surive the year then you are in :) You can patrol the mean streets with Howard ' The Bald Eagle ' Miller. :D

Or are there some other hidden reasons for devoting so much time and effort into what appears to be a pretty mundane and thankless job?

Maybe the drinks for free in the bars?

That may well be a motivation... I never thought that the volunteers might get freebies from local businesses (I figured this would be reserved for the regular police), but it stands to reason, especially for foreign-operated places. Maybe the job allows somebody who is 'just scraping by' to live a more entertaining lifestyle in LOS.

Pure speculation, but I also wonder if there might be kickbacks from the police on the "fines" that the tpv bring to their doorstep? Of course nobody would ever admit to it (understandably), but this is Thailand, so its certainly possible. That would definitely be a good motivator to go to work every evening, and keep you from just sitting on your butt all night. Again, just speculation, and I'm sure you would never know about this unless you were "in".

Them "We want you to do Tourist Police in Ranong"

Me "I don't have a work permit or volunteer permit"

Them "You no need, we no pay you. Only Friday, Saturday night"

Me thinking <deleted>, I'm from Yorkshire, we don't do owt for now't. Friday and Saturday nights hmmm "Miaow krap, mai poot passer Thai dee krap."

The only people who have bad things to say about the tourist police are people who hang in dirty bars and cant stand seeing themselves reflected in the bad tourist police.

In phuket, a bunch of them help people at immigration and they are wonderfull.

Not pushy, gentle, extremely usefull even if you know your wait around visas.

..2 of my best friends in LOS are tourist police in Phuket.. stand up guys.. those that are dissing them may not know any well enough, or have had bad experiences..

signed: why overgeneralize?

Can't think of why one would want to do it because its such a thankless job and pain in the arse.

'Cause if they weren't doing it they'd be organising little residents' commitees, and setting little laws in their moo bahns, and going around making sure everyone's lawn was cut to the regulation height, and their laundry couldn't be seen from the street, and their car was parked exactly 6" from the curb, and all the other sad little self appointed tasks of the common pedantic busy body. You're right about them being a pain in the arse though.

We live in a country where people are closer to domestic animals than human being because of the lack of teachings and structure. People making ridiculous laws in their moobaans are just trying to keep them clean like in the west.

I wonder why you choose to live in a country run by domestic animals, rather than one run by human beings?

Nobody does it in my moo baan and theres rabid dogs, litter on the street, people throw their dog poo in the middle of the street, theres speed racers theres car parked sideways in the middle of the intersections and theres trees that block the views completely so if you wish to turn a corner you cannot ever know if you're gonna get hit by one of the speed racer. Also my moobaan isnt low class, i dont even wanna think what a low class moobaan would look like and i dont want to know whats its gonna look like when it turns 5-10 years old.

Well why not try doing what you would in the west and (politely) confront the dog turd throwers and speed racers? What is it about Thailand that people will put up with neighbours burning rubbish, driving unsafely and generally behaving in an unneighbourly fashion because they're too scared to upset them? And if you think they'll just tell you where to go, then I'd say they'd do the same to some clip board carrying dweeb.

What are the advantages of being a tourist police?

You get to star in pseudo docu-dramas on UK tv

Even better is for the free sex with foreign prostitutes:

PATTAYA VOLUNTEER POLICE INDULGE IN UZBEK STING OPERATION

Undercover Pattaya Tourist Police pretend to solicit sex from foreign women. Four women from Republic of Uzbekistan were arrested.

On the 22nd May 2007, at 02:30 am, Pol. Lt. Col. Withichart Luensukan, Tourist Police Inspector of Pattaya, and his team, planned an operation to nab Uzbek Prostitutes around the night time entertainment areas. The undercover Pattaya Tourist Police officers managed to arrest four ladies who were offering their services.

The foreign undercover officers made arrangements with the four Uzbek women for sexual services at the Pattaya Inn Hotel, Soi B.J., Walking Street, South Pattaya, Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi, Rooms 203, 206 and 207. When the love making sessions were concluded, the prostitutes asked for 2,000 baht each. The undercover representatives gave a total of 8,000 baht to the women, and the police placed them under arrest.

The four Uzbek women accused of prostitution, were: Mrs. HAMAROEVA DILBAR (23), Mrs. UMEDA KUVONDIKOVA (29), Mrs. GULHAN KURBANNBAEVA (23) and Mrs. LOLA ERGASHVA (31). All four ladies confessed that they have been coming to Pattaya as tourists. At night, they went to entertainment spots around Walking Street, South Pattaya, and approached foreign men offering sexual favors. They charged from 2,000 to 2,500 Baht. They have been doing this for quite a while. There are reportedly many women from Uzbekistan working as prostitutes in Pattaya.

The four ladies were arrested and charged with prostitution. South Pattaya Investigators will process the case according to the law.

- Pattaya Daily News

can you be framed? just like that rambo pattay dude with yellow hummer?

immigration officer comes in, hey u!!! no work permit!!!

tourist police told me no need.

tourist police tells the imm officer that me lied about having a work permit.

imm off: ok you bad boy, send you back home :D

me: sorry i pay you 1000 baht ok?

imm off: no you bad boy! you go home now

me: please!! 2000 baht ok?

police: bang bang put you in jail

me: :D:D:D:D:D:)

^no don't think to be a volunteer you need a work permit, well put it this way we have never gotten a straight answer if this or necessary or not. :D