Rice Bran Oil

sceadugenga

I tried this a year or two back and started using it for stir frying, I don't deep fry much any more, that mainly went out the door with the beer.

I've found it a clean, neutral flavoured oil which is claimed to reduce cholesterol levels.

I was in town the other day and the wife asked me to pick up some oil for her general kitchen use and I went into Big C and found that rice bran oil is now available in 1.9 litre bottles at 88B, which compares favourably to the Maizola oil she usually buys at 340B for.... dunno? 4 litre bottles?

So my point is, the rice bran oil isn't only a much better buy, it's better for you. Any opinions on the quality? Anyone else tried it?

i love the rice barn oil but only for stir frying, for deep frying though it doesn't reach the screaming temperature of palm oil. so as a rule of thumb.

deep fry in palm oil

stir fry in rice barn oil.

cheers

Hmmm, the top quality rice bran oil (Kings) sells for about 90 baht a litre but I have noticed cheaper brands, in larger bottles AND I think they are of inferior quality or have been "refined" in some way or another...........can anyone throw any light on this??

I originally bought it in nice glass bottle at 90-120 baht a litre.

I don't doubt the oil I mentioned in the OP is inferior quality to this, but still good enough for my Mrs to deep fry in, considering what she was already using.

Having said that, I've used the "cheap stuff" for stir frying with no discernable loss of flavour.

The cheap bottles I bought this week were also Kings brand.

• 8 years later...

Yes, I and my family members use Rice Bran Oil in my regular diet. This oil contains a lot of nutritional facts and health benefits. I am mentioning some of the benefits of the Rice Bran Oil:

• It is heart friendly.
  • It is neutral in taste.

• It is good for skin health.

• It helps to lower cholesterol level.

It's becoming very popular oil in the market and after all, it's up to your preference which oil needs to be used in regular cooking.