Northern Mine Bust Prompts Tighter Inspections

webfact

Northern Mine Bust Prompts Tighter Inspections

CHIANG MAI: -- Authorities are scrutinising a piece of land in Chiang Mai Province where a land owner is storing minerals, as well as examining the legality for obtaining the minerals. Wanchai Pipatsamutr, an industrial officer in the northern province of Chiang Mai, has asked officials to inspect a plot of land in Mae Taeng District of Chiang Mai Province, where a land owner is applying to build a mineral processing plant.

The officer said he must verify the owner's claim that he stores less than the 3,000 tons of ore allowed in the area.

Wanchai added the land owner will be fined up to five times of the value of ore if found guilty of exceeding the limit.

He added there is no report involving a mineral-related offence in Chiang Mai Province.

However, officials will continue to keep a close watch on the movement.

The move comes after border patrol police and the Department of Special Investigation joined hands earlier this week to bust an illegal fluoride mine in the northern province of Mae Hong Son and seized a total of 128,000 tons of fluoride valued at 411 million baht.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-03-05

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]