That Chesty Cough

Belfastboy

Is it just me or every time i stay for more than 2 weeks in Thailand i develop a nasty chesty cough and sore throat...

Does anyone know what the air quality in Bangkok is...........???

Is there anything i can do to preent it...? eg..pure oxgyen rooms..?

Is it just me or every time i stay for more than 2 weeks in Thailand i develop a nasty chesty cough and sore throat...

Does anyone know what the air quality in Bangkok is...........???

Is there anything i can do to preent it...? eg..pure oxgyen rooms..?

To put it mildly, there is a lot of air pollution in Bangkok. I'm lucky if I can stay more than a couple of days without feeling the effect.

The air conditioning doesn't help either. On the contrary, my wife always ends up with a cold, as up-country we don't use such luxuries.

If you smoke, then I think you are really, really asking for trouble.

Ask yourself, why do the boys in brown wear face masks?

If you meet a friend after you arrive do any of them have the same symptoms - Amoxil 500's may be the answer to this and other upper respitorty chest infections- they are spread through areosl contamination - ie being close enough to be breathed on by a person or AC where the bugs may be waiting - the anti biotics are available over the counter - then again you may have an allergy - if you get it every time - don't overdo the amoxils you can build up a resistance to their effect and more serious conditions where they could help you later may be denigrated - your state of health in LOS is directly linked to those who you come close to - not meant as a preached lesson just a matter of fact.

This is an extract from a report made by Frank Murray associate professor, School of Environmental Science, Murdoch University, Perth, Australia, published on 15-Jul-2004 on the web at http://www.spiked-online.com/articles/0000000CA5EA.htm - a site sponsored by the Natural Environment Research Council and the Medical Research Council (of the UK):

“Bangkok is the capital of Thailand, with a population of 6.35million in 2000. Sources of emissions in Bangkok include transport, construction, industry, and power generation, with the transport sector being the largest single contributor. The most serious air pollution issue in Bangkok is particulate emissions, about 40 per cent of which come from diesel vehicles.

The ambient concentrations of NO2 and TSP in Bangkok have shown little variation within the past five years. Both the roadside concentrations of SO2 and the ambient concentrations of PM10 are decreasing, and there are no increasing trends for any of the major pollutants. But current levels of air pollution are impacting on health - for example, associations have been found between PM10 and PM2.5 and the occurrence of both upper and lower respiratory symptoms in schoolchildren, nurses, and adults. Another analysis indicated that a 10µg m3 increase in daily PM10 is associated with a 1-2 per cent increase in natural mortality, a 1-2 per cent increase in cardiovascular mortality, and a 3-6 per cent increase in respiratory mortality Bangkok residents. In these studies the relative risks are consistent with or greater than those reported in most US studies.

An economic evaluation of the health costs of air pollution in Bangkok estimated that it accounted for about 0.5 per cent of Thailand's GDP in 1999. It is estimated that a 10µg m3 decrease in PM10 concentrations in Bangkok could lead to 700-2000 fewer premature deaths, 3000-9300 fewer new cases of chronic respiratory diseases and 560-1570 fewer respiratory and cardiovascular related hospital admissions every year. A 20 µg m3 reduction in annual average PM10 concentrations in Bangkok could save 65-175 billion baht (about $1.5-4.5billion) every year.

Air quality in Bangkok has improved considerably recently as a result of air control measures, with command-and-control regulation being the principal instrument used. However, the strategies to improve air quality are being implemented with mixed success. For example, the new vehicle emission standards and fuel quality standards have been successful, despite rapidly increasing population and vehicle numbers. By contrast, strategies such as inspection and maintenance are failing to achieve their objectives.”

thanks for the info guys....

all a bit worrying really....

have u guys lived in bangkok long? has it had an impact on your health?

i will be moving to bkk in the next two years with my wife..the health side of things scares the shit out of me.....

anyone else feel the same?

thanks for the info guys....

all a bit worrying really....

have u guys lived in bangkok long? has it had an impact on your health?

i will be moving to bkk in the next two years with my wife..the health side of things scares the shit out of me.....

anyone else feel the same?

I stay in BKK 6 months UK Leicester the other 6. Before I used to work on the top of a mountain in saudi very clean air everytime - I went to BKK I got a chest infection. Now when I go from leicester I don't - mabey there is a similarity in the air quality. The chest infection rate is also much higher in the rainy season when all the Thais are coughing and sick. If you are getting it regualry be aware that Tb is also on the loose in LOS- if is bad and recurant get a chest x ray. i also know people you cannot live in BKK due to the air quality causing so many health problems. It effects everyone individually.

my folks and spent all vacation time in india and nepal (in the cities) with ventolin inhalors came home with pneomonia ... in singapore it was great they said.... my mother was a respiratory nurse and her summation: third world countries industrial cities= pollution = respiratory problems