Red Shirts Plan To Paralyse Bangkok, Topple Thai Government

webfact

Yet another diatribe repeated incessantly here on TV to distract from that fact that the majority of Thais want Democracy and equality for all Thais and not just the chosen elites. The rabid words are always the same, almost as if an automated note writer were producing them.

We should all reject this kind of propoganda. We need to re-establish a civil discourse.

Yes ... civil discourse like that from Sae Daeng who is meeting frequently with Thaksin. Or maybe civil discourse like K. Thong, who is closely associated with Sae Daeng, is advocating?

Your "Majority of Thais" seem to believe that Thailand is currently democratic because there is an elected government in place. It appears only to be the Thaksin led minority that has the issue at this point.

Polls are not suggesting that the "majority of Thais" are wanting a change right now :)

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The red-shirt movement, in its last ditch effort to topple Abhisit Vejjajiva's government

So do you think the red shirts will stop after this weekend?

i seriously doubt it

Right. this 'last ditch' stuff is silly and/or an attempt by Nation writers to use Eng.lang idioms here and there. The only 'last ditch' is when Thaksin turns off the money spigot.

Until then, all these shenanigans for Red Shirts is a way for them to get some easy money coming in (or a whole lot of money, if you're one of their leaders).

If I were willing to pay 300 baht per head, I could get 1,000 locals to go out and rally to support earthworm rights to burrow under crop circles.

By the way, why aren't there any crop circles in Thailand? Rice paddies make excellent venue to that. Another way to attract tourists! Take note, TAT. note to self: get 1.5 meter long 2X6 with rope handles ready for late night secret crop circle fabrication.

why do non thai posters seem to be negative about the supporters of thaksin, like him or not these are ordinary people for whom the previous regime was of benefit so they like and support him and his policy.

i really dont know if he was good or bad when compared to others but i do know that those wearing yellow shirts are anti democracy as they have stated so the question is, if the choice is to have a vote or not to have a vote, who would you vote for?

Obviously your house is in your wifes name also...Get a brain... sometimes better to keep your mouth shut and just let people think you are an idiot, than to open it and give them proof...

good reply, very constructive.

Perhaps you should go back and see what Thaksin has said about Democracy not being his goal, and how Thaksin actively dismantled the checks and balanced that were put in place to control the executive branch of the government.

You'll need more than 300 Baht/day this time, I heard that a factory owner on Bangna Trad had 600 of his staff apply for annual leave this Friday because they were promised 2000 Baht a piece to join the rally this weekend.

It's not going to work as planned.

Ok, maybe a bunch of people will show up, but the existing government will be fine after the dust settles. Have there been reports of payments for attending?

The Abhisit government is legit and decent. There's no real groundswell against him and his administration. It's another last-ditch and desperate means for an extremely selfish man to try and put his hands back on big money and absolute power.

I see the OP photo of Thaksin with the words "Thailand needs change" He's trying to copy Obama's success with that line. Yes, Thailand needs change, it needs to get good people in leadership roles, and get away from the ugly patterns of having people like Thaksin in the driver's seat. Thailand needs to change being so tolerable to treasonous people like Thaksin. It needs to change being so forgiving to Thaksin's puppets, like Sae Daeng, who toss explosives here and there.

The sooner Thailand changes from being harassed from Thaksin and his followers, the sooner Thailand can get moving forward to improving quality of life and cleaning up the environment and doing the many other things that have been put off because of the incessant hassling from Thaksin and his paid intimidators.

Yet another diatribe repeated incessantly here on TV to distract from that fact that the majority of Thais want Democracy and equality for all Thais and not just the chosen elites. The rabid words are always the same, almost as if an automated note writer were producing them.

We should all reject this kind of propoganda. We need to re-establish a civil discourse.

Sorry your counter-diatribe didn't work.

That dog don't hunt.

By the way Bramburger is a regular, good hearted, human being, and not a propagandist.

why do non thai posters seem to be negative about the supporters of thaksin, like him or not these are ordinary people for whom the previous regime was of benefit so they like and support him and his policy.

i really dont know if he was good or bad when compared to others but i do know that those wearing yellow shirts are anti democracy as they have stated so the question is, if the choice is to have a vote or not to have a vote, who would you vote for?

Obviously your house is in your wifes name also...Get a brain... sometimes better to keep your mouth shut and just let people think you are an idiot, than to open it and give them proof...

quote: "....but i do know that those wearing yellow shirts are anti democracy ...."

Maybe you'd like to recheck your facts on this point.

Or perhaps you follow the black or white appraoch - the reds claim to be democracy fighters (what a laugh) therefore the yellow are anti- democracy.

Suggest you expand your thinking quite a lot.

How about you go back to the videos, and listen to the speeches the yellows gave about not wanting to allow the rural poor to vote because they "are too stupid"... Suppressing votes based on status is NOT democratic...

But this is not YELLOW VS RED thread, this is a “REDS plan to cripple BKK” thread…

You'll need more than 300 Baht/day this time, I heard that a factory owner on Bangna Trad had 600 of his staff apply for annual leave this Friday because they were promised 2000 Baht a piece to join the rally this weekend.

300baht a day * 7 days = 2,100 baht

If they are really being paid, same was said about the yellow shirts. Same is said about elections. Same is said about everything that is political really.

How to paralyze such a large city? By Stopping food and water getting in?

As long as the somtam and Isaan sausage vendors are here I will be happy. And if not, well I have a big bag of rice and I have egs and bread in the fridge, coffee on the table, and some noodles, maybe I should pick up more on my way home today. :)

Suggest you do some more detailed reserach about the thaksin era, and also suggest you think more about the longer-term perspective of how to achieve a better quality of life for all Thais.

I agree with you...and saw this link on Wikipedia. Pretty good background info all of us should read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaksin_Shinawatra

The Wikipedia link does provide a lot of background but fails miserably in terms of details about rampant vote buying in the two elections which thaksins parties 'won', and fails miserably in terms of mentioning the banning from politics of hundreds of the members of the thaksin parties.

Additionally, I suggest that any person who reads things on Wikipedia should be well aware that anybody can post or change anything on the Wikipedia site, and it does not have authentication or validation processes.

Suggest you do some more detailed reserach about the thaksin era, and also suggest you think more about the longer-term perspective of how to achieve a better quality of life for all Thais.

I agree with you...and saw this link on Wikipedia. Pretty good background info all of us should read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaksin_Shinawatra

The Wikipedia link does provide a lot of background but fails miserably in terms of details about rampant vote buying in the two elections which thaksins parties 'won', and fails miserably in terms of mentioning the banning from politics of hundreds of the members of the thaksin parties.

Additionally, I suggest that any person who reads things on Wikipedia should be well aware that anybody can post or change anything on the Wikipedia site, and it does not have authentication or validation processes.

Agreed wikipedia can only be trusted as much as you trust some random person changing its content. But the vote buying seems to be the norm, the DEMS do have a current pending case for the same thing.

Ok, maybe a bunch of people will show up, but the existing government will be fine after the dust settles. Have there been reports of payments for attending?

The Abhisit government is legit and decent. There's no real groundswell against him and his administration. It's another last-ditch and desperate means for an extremely selfish man to try and put his hands back on big money and absolute power.

I see the OP photo of Thaksin with the words "Thailand needs change" He's trying to copy Obama's success with that line. Yes, Thailand needs change, it needs to get good people in leadership roles, and get away from the ugly patterns of having people like Thaksin in the driver's seat. Thailand needs to change being so tolerable to treasonous people like Thaksin. It needs to change being so forgiving to Thaksin's puppets, like Sae Daeng, who toss explosives here and there.

The sooner Thailand changes from being harassed from Thaksin and his followers, the sooner Thailand can get moving forward to improving quality of life and cleaning up the environment and doing the many other things that have been put off because of the incessant hassling from Thaksin and his paid intimidators.

I do not totally agree with your statement , especially with your statement Abhisit is legitimate .

Don't think anyone can disagree that this present government is having double standards ,

in such that the army created the scrutiny judge panel to judge mr T after those amendments of the constitution ,

meanwhile forgetting what all was done to topple him , all that was needed was illegal and so the judicial sysyem

is questionable in the least .

Another thing it would be more then legitimate if the democrats can get elected by themselves in a democratic way ,

that is the only way for PM Abhisit to dampen all the controversial difficulties regarding him leading the government .

I do agree that unless this rather complicated position this government is in , and got into power he himself is doing an excellent job and in my personal opinion the right person to be PM of Thailand .

The only thing I wonder is if we could imagine the problem Thailand faces was in fact the US for example , would many of you still say the current government is legitimate without being chosen by the people ?

Think I said enough on this one .

Agreed wikipedia can only be trusted as much as you trust some random person changing its content. But the vote buying seems to be the norm, the DEMS do have a current pending case for the same thing.

Ummm no

The Dems have a case pending involving possible illegal campaign contributions; NOT vote buying.

The preliminary findings suggest that the case will not be proven and that the Dems are safe for now. Of course, things could change and they could be disbanded but at the moment this seems unlikely from what I have read in both the Thai press and in English.

Having a new election won by the Democrats would not silence the Thaksin side one jot.

Not winning would just make them say it was bought by corruption, and it MUST be UNFAIR,

because their mindset doesn't allow anyone but them to be right.

Removing the Thaksin money/influence tentacles and propaganda machine from Issan politics,

Cutting more of the mercenary puyai middlemen from the food distibution / profit chain

and passing that profit back to the average Somchai farmer.

Allowing free and fair campaigning nationwide,

MUCH improving education.

Are the only ways to bring peace and proper fair elections.

All of these things can improve the national situation.

But PTP does want any of these things, because they would reduce their power and profits.

So they have their street wing cause trouble, in hopes of getting installed via their usual,

one sided propaganda up country and rigging the election apparatus and results.

Like in 2006 and 2007.

Edited by animatic

Don't forget it need brains to run a country and farmers to grow rice, not the other way round :)

Yeah kolonialism had also it's advantages hahaha... But it's not too late for that is it ? How many members does Thaivisa have ?? :D

They are using Maoist tactics. They wear red. They seek to crush the educated "elites" a la the tragic Maoist cultural revolution. Coincidence? Are they communist revolutionaries in thin disguise? Look at what happened to some other countries in the general region in the last century when forces like this prevailed.

Edited by Jingthing

The abhisit government is legit?

So you mean to say his party won the last elections, and that they did not get to power because yellow shirts blocked the airport, to dispose of the elected government?

Ummm no

The Dems have a case pending involving possible illegal campaign contributions; NOT vote buying.

The preliminary findings suggest that the case will not be proven and that the Dems are safe for now. Of course, things could change and they could be disbanded but at the moment this seems unlikely from what I have read in both the Thai press and in English.

Yes you are correct.

Don't forget it need brains to run a country and farmers to grow rice, not the other way round :)

Yeah kolonialism had also it's advantages hahaha... But it's not too late for that is it ? How many members does Thaivisa have ?? :D

'in its last ditch effort to topple Abhisit Vejjajiva's government'

does this mean if it doesn't work, they will give up and go away and let the country return to normal (whatever that is)? i doubt it.

this is one of the few times it pays to be a whitey around here, the police road blocks see a farang and usually just wave us though.

If you had read the news in Thailand over the last five years you'd know just how bad he is. Don't come in with "I really don't know if he was good or bad when compared to other." The big difference is that Thaksin flouted his corruption and he tried to crush any media that was critical of him or his projects. He cancelled a big land auction so that his wife could bid and he made sure she was the only bidder. He made sure his phone company didn't have to pay the same fees as its competitors, he hid assets even in his maid's name. 3,000 people were killed in his war on drugs.

Nothing but fodder for the farang doom-mongers and drama-queens who've been screaming civil war and national collapse ever since Mr. T. left the scene. I don't think anything close to the advertised million watermelons will ever materialize (I mean that'd cost 300million baht!), but do think that some of those who do show up will be looking for trouble.

They are using Maoist tactics. They wear red. They seek to crush the educated "elites" a la the tragic Maoist cultural revolution. Coincidence? Are they communist revolutionaries in thin disguise? Look at what happened to some other countries in the general region in the last century when forces like this prevailed.

Huh! I wish! But unfortunately real socialists are about as common in Thailand as water is on the moon- hence why we had the unusual situation of the rural poor looking to a super-capitalist to liberate them from poverty and oppression.

I do not understand the actions of the red shirts (nor did I understand the actions of the yellow), is it just me, or are some democratic policies getting lost in translation here?

For example, the right to protest....brilliant, that's how things got done in the west, but paralyzing and airport and a capital city? way to slash the worth off your economy.

The 'aristocrat-backed government' - errr,,,,name a developed country where the government is not aristocrat-backed???

And this whole Taksin ordeal.. Using this power to obtain wealth.... I thought that's what most people in governments all around the world do?

It makes one wonder where their anscestors stood during the Revolutions in America, France and England, huh?