Petrol Sales And Deliveries In Bangkok Suspended

webfact

I don't understand this government. They say they want to prevent violence, but seem to mainly do things that incite anger (and thus violence).

And I start to wonder if that's not what they are really after, so they have an excuse to crush it (violently).

Maybe they're trying to prevent extreme violence. After all UDD leader Arisiman did tell protesters to fill up containers with petrol once they arrived in Bangkok. Really, who wants thousands of hot heads carrying containers full of petrol which can be used for nefarious ways. Preventive medicine perhaps?

They'll probably get them mixed up with their Lao Khao :)

:D

Again, preventive medicine. The last thing the hospitals need is a million petrol poisonings.

The Red Necks will have nothing to sniff!!! :D

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) crazy, how the hel_l do they expect legit businesses to function trying to make normal deliveries when they shut down the fuel stations. If the protestors are trying to bring the country to a standstill then they are doing a dam_n good job of it already, before the rally starts. And the powers that be are playing right into their hands.

I don't understand this government. They say they want to prevent violence, but seem to mainly do things that incite anger (and thus violence).

And I start to wonder if that's not what they are really after, so they have an excuse to crush it (violently).

Maybe they're trying to prevent extreme violence. After all UDD leader Arisiman did tell protesters to fill up containers with petrol once they arrived in Bangkok. Really, who wants thousands of hot heads carrying containers full of petrol which can be used for nefarious ways. Preventive medicine perhaps?

from previous experience/action it could be a setup to shoot anyone holding a bottle of pop !

stay inside the killer B's are coming ...

////

Closed Radio Stations (there is nothing worth listening to anyway)

Hobbled TV Stations (at last - get rid of the dumb as* game shows)

Closed Petrol/Diesel outlets - ulp... well maybe that is a good thing - use taxis, run them out of petrol and gas and then they can't support Takky! Run the buses out and they will park them so they can't burn them - apart from preventing the use of petrol bombs and so on.

Closed roads and so on, why not call Songkran early and splash water and throw powder. Then we would have excuses to carry 44 gal drums of water to dampen their spirits and put out any fires!

Sounds like a plan? :)

:) crazy, how the hel_l do they expect legit businesses to function trying to make normal deliveries when they shut down the fuel stations. If the protestors are trying to bring the country to a standstill then they are doing a dam_n good job of it already, before the rally starts. And the powers that be are playing right into their hands.

Do you think anyone really cares in this country about legit business? This whole thing is self centered around one man, a convicted criminal who is on the run with a pocket full of change. He cares nought about Thailand or its people. Megalomaniacs and narcissist are like that! :D

The story is attributed to "Thai Visa News" with no other news agency link. A blanket ban on petrol sales seems unlikely considering that the majority of car-owning Bangkokians support the current government. And what about businesses, or emergencies? A move like this would upset the whole city population.

Yes the government is over reacting, very likely make the situation from bad to worse.

What's next, closing down banks? :)

I don't think they are overreacting. I think they just don't want to be caught with their pants down, like the previous Somchai government.

I think, they should come down hard on these clowns, who want to bring down the government...then deal with the international "outrage" for a week. After, everyone in the rest of the World will forget it happened, (except for a few Granolas) and life will go on normal, without a bunch of agitators around.

There are times, when democracy is truly overrated ;-)

An example of how hypocrisy is present on both sides of the argument.

The story is attributed to "Thai Visa News" with no other news agency link. A blanket ban on petrol sales seems unlikely considering that the majority of car-owning Bangkokians support the current government. And what about businesses, or emergencies? A move like this would upset the whole city population.

Just a guess, but one reason might be that service stations are in themselves rather volatile sorts of places when people are running around shooting guns or thropwing grenades or lighting torches or fires or whatever. A closed petrol station is probably quite a bit safer for running amok around than one in operation at the time, particularly if there are no customers there at the time.

I'm not sure that I believe this news. How can they just stop selling fuel? Then there should be a public holiday also as how can people drive to work, meetings, etc. What about ambulances?

I think perhaps there's a translation problem. Perhaps only PTT will not deliver new fuel over the weekend in case their trucks are hijacked.....However, other oil companies are not involved and garages that still have inventories at PTT can continue to sell....Am I right?

I'm not sure that I believe this news. How can they just stop selling fuel? Then there should be a public holiday also as how can people drive to work, meetings, etc. What about ambulances?

I think perhaps there's a translation problem. Perhaps only PTT will not deliver new fuel over the weekend in case their trucks are hijacked.....However, other oil companies are not involved and garages that still have inventories at PTT can continue to sell....Am I right?

I think you might be. PTT is a company, not the government (at least I think it is). A company has decided not to risk it's assets by delivering to dangerous areas.

Just a guess, but one reason might be that service stations are in themselves rather volatile sorts of places when people are running around shooting guns or thropwing grenades or lighting torches or fires or whatever. A closed petrol station is probably quite a bit safer for running amok around than one in operation at the time, particularly if there are no customers there at the time.

I can see the logic of that for pumps in areas that might be affected, but a blanket closure over the whole city and its surrounding provinces? If its true, its overkill. Many suburban areas have never seen any kind of trouble throughout the history of coups and demonstrations in and around Bangkok.

as I have said before, there is no petrol at the stations, don't expect it for sometimes.

I have spoken to my stepson, who was trying to fill his bike at several stations - to no avail.

some shops are stopping to sell foods, hoping for the better price within days.

now people are trying to withdraw their savings, even to have some cash on hand during the troubled times - without work there won't be wages. I would think that cash mashines would run out of notes and nobody will fill them up again. Even bank cards might stop working if the internet is disrupted

Edited by londonthai

Red shirts in Ayudhya was told there will be no/little fuel for them in Bangkok. So they have to store up enough gas for return trip. This is a very scary tactic of the enrgy ministry to close gas stations in Bangkok ahead of the rally. Now, people have to stay put at home, but the tanker lorries will be running amok in the capital instead.

I can see the logic of that for pumps in areas that might be affected, but a blanket closure over the whole city and its surrounding provinces? If its true, its overkill. Many suburban areas have never seen any kind of trouble throughout the history of coups and demonstrations in and around Bangkok.

IMHO it might only be part of the total reasons, for the average diesel ute would probably make it from Khorat to Bangkok and back on one tank, and anyone with pyromanic molotov tendencies would be likely to BYO benzine from somewhere closer to home, especially if they've had advanced warning.

I vaguely remember sometime in the past year or two, there was a benzine station blown up somewhere in Bangkok or Nonthaburi, although I've not got the archives on hand to clarify the details. If I recall, it was attributed to Southern insurgents, that one. It might be a little overcautious, and we've yet to see the actual results of this pending ban, and how far out of Dusit it extends, thus the reasons cannot be all that solidly recognised yet, but most cars are likely to get at least 500km or more like 800-1,000 or more on a full tank, so it might pay to plan ahead, because it's better to be safe than sorrowfully incinerated.

I am arriving back on the 13th will there be any cabs running?

there would be everyting - at the price. I wouldn't expect any of the taxi drivers at the airport to turn on the meter - they are the first to take any opportunity to make some money on foreigners. Try to count on the public transport, it would be running, but overloaded

:D crazy, how the hel_l do they expect legit businesses to function trying to make normal deliveries when they shut down the fuel stations. If the protestors are trying to bring the country to a standstill then they are doing a dam_n good job of it already, before the rally starts. And the powers that be are playing right into their hands.

Do you think anyone really cares in this country about legit business? This whole thing is self centered around one man, a convicted criminal who is on the run with a pocket full of change. He cares nought about Thailand or its people. Megalomaniacs and narcissist are like that! :D

not a truer word spoken Asiawatcher, how silly of me not to think of that :)

wow "Early this morning government lawyers applied to the Thailand Supreme Court for an order closing all radio and television stations affiliated with the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD). "

Supressing their voice?

Does anyone know the basis on which the request was made, and whether it was granted?

I think they might be playing right into Bangkok heads, Don't you just hate the red shirts a little more now that gas sales are off.

They do make Than Shwe proud! Thailand is a ordinary police state in which there is only place for ONE voice, that of the ruling clique. Good to see that petrol deliveries are suspended, that is a strategic blunder from the government it is very easy now to disrupt general life you just up the pressure and after a few days Bangkok runs out of juice.

Unfortunately for the government they cannot stop Twitter, email, SMS, internet broadcasts and so on. Prem does nor know yet, he has never seen a computer and have no clue what the net can do.

If it is true, suspending fuel sales is not a smart move to reduce any tension in this situation. Nothing has even happened yet, and this will intensely p**s off the Bangkok people. I don't think this will go down well if there is no confrontation. Then as someone mentions, there will be the ridiculous problem of the out of towners not being able to get home.

They have the ISA, why the apparent pre-emption of everything before anything happens.

Is this part of some disaster mitigation risk assessment created by the Pooyai who probably never even drives let alone pays for their own petrol or gas? If so, it isn't being handled very well, but then risk assessments aren't a Thai strong point. There isn't even a way or any announcements of where you can legitimately go and buy petrol outside the exclusion area.

So does this mean that all the reds have to do is sit still for a few days and EVERYTHING grinds to a halt. At least with the PAD life kept moving.

Had a late lunch and topped off my tank at around 2:30PM. No queues or shortages at my usual Caltex. Didn't see any queues anywhere else, and everything seemed normal. That might be different during rush hour tonight when everyone else wants to top up for the weekend.

By the way, it's not just Thai Visa news that is reporting this. My Thai staff all had heard that petrol sales and deliveries would be halted commencing tomorrow. Gas sales and deliveries as well, to preclude a replay of the red shirts' hijacking of a gas tanker last year and threatening to blow it up at the Din Daeng housing project, presumably with complete disregard for the thousands of people who live in that concentrated area.

Yes indeed I also want to know where this news comes from .... very irresponsible if it proves to be not true ....

all the cousins knew about the petrol, before I have even called them - they got it from the local news (radio,tv), for the papers you will have to wait till tomorrow. News agencies (thai and foreign) might still be waiting for the official government confirmation, before they will broadcast it

Edited by londonthai

Agreed.

Is the PTT a government organization or a commercial company?

I know this isn't expected to happen until tomorrow, I just walked past the Shell service station at the end of Sukhumvit Soi 23 and it's open for business, no long lines either, there were only a couple of bikes in there being refuelled. I walked past it 10 minutes ago at 15:55.