Petrol Sales And Deliveries In Bangkok Suspended

webfact

Anyone going to the rally is within their rights to have 50 litres of gas in the back of their pickup so they can get home. Talk about pouring petrol on the fire!

From what I've seen, the red morons would be quite capable of putting a drum of petrol on the back on a diesel powered truck and trying to argue that they need it to fill the tank in order to get home.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The story is attributed to "Thai Visa News" with no other news agency link. A blanket ban on petrol sales seems unlikely considering that the majority of car-owning Bangkokians support the current government. And what about businesses, or emergencies? A move like this would upset the whole city population.

This was definately on the Thai Business Channel as soon as I heard it I started post in the General Topics section looks like one of the admin followed up on it, to confirm it.

My wife just came back from filling up her car and asked the owner at the ESSO station in Tungkruh (BKK) about this rumour.

He said there has been no order to close any stations but if things get bad delivery of fuel to some stations may be disrupted which could cause shortages and some stations may want to close.

opalhort

Edited by opalhort

My wife just came back from filling up her car and asked the owner at the ESSO station in Tungkruh (BKK) about this rumor.

He said there has been no order to close any stations but if things get bad delivery of fuel to some stations may be disrupted which could cause shortages and some stations may want to close.

opalhort

ESSO is not PTT.

My wife just came back from filling up her car and asked the owner at the ESSO station in Tungkruh (BKK) about this rumor.

opalhort

ESSO is not PTT.

So this isn't a government order then.

This is just a commercial company deciding not to send out deliveries that will probably spend most of their time stuck in traffic (and maybe used by protestors for other purposes).

I think this story may have originated from an alleged threat by red shirts to blockade the PTT depot and offices in Bangkok.

So the government wants to close down all the filling stations....brilliant. I can drive my 3.0 liter Automatic..4x4 pickup truck from Khonkaen to BKK and back without filling up.

..and even if I did need to refuel there must be a thousand places outside of BKK to do it...going in or out. I could also carry a few spare cans of fuel anyway...now that it has been announced to the world. The only people inconvenienced by closing the fillings stations will be---residents of Bankok.. :) I wonder how many more bits of tactical genius they can come up with..........

:) crazy, how the hel_l do they expect legit businesses to function trying to make normal deliveries when they shut down the fuel stations. If the protestors are trying to bring the country to a standstill then they are doing a dam_n good job of it already, before the rally starts. And the powers that be are playing right into their hands.

Do you think anyone really cares in this country about legit business? This whole thing is self centered around one man, a convicted criminal who is on the run with a pocket full of change. He cares nought about Thailand or its people. Megalomaniacs and narcissist are like that! :D

asiawatcher. You hit the nail on the head. Well said.

Like him or not Taksin was ousted by a military coup not the electorate nor his own party and he wasn't impeached while holding office. In a true democray he'd have been allowed to serve his term and the people would have decided his fate at the ballot box.

Taksin obviously has his own agenda but name me a polititian of high status that doesn't? The man who "cares nought" about the Thai people still gave them free education, basic healthcare for all, cleared the debt to the IMF, kept the Baht at a reasonable rate, gave tax concessions on gas so the poor could afford it and uped the salaries of all civil servants amounting to much more than the billions of dollars he "apparently" stole. Who wouldn't vote for him in a country where for most people moneys tight as even Mr Obama can't push a healthcare plan through.

Is he really the devil?

Oh come on...can we at least have ONE thread that keeps on topic without veering off on political criticism? This thread is entitled "Petrol Sales and Deliveries in Bangkok Suspended". A lot of us would like to keep up on that subject without wading through all the trash and rants that seem to hijack each and every thread now.

To the mods: I for one would be very pleased if you stated deleting posts such as these that have nothing whatsoever with the subject topic. That would certainly make things more useful for readers who are actually looking for on-topic information.

Hi.

Can i still get gas (95 petrol) in the evening today, around 9 pm? I can't get out of the office earlier and i'm half empty (my bike, that is).

Best regards.....

Thanh

They say petrol deliveries. I am sure you can still get gas if your car runs on it but I have not seen to many gas stations in Thailand.

Hi.

Can i still get gas (95 petrol) in the evening today, around 9 pm? I can't get out of the office earlier and i'm half empty (my bike, that is).

Best regards.....

Thanh

They say petrol deliveries. I am sure you can still get gas if your car runs on it but I have not seen to many gas stations in Thailand.

Hi :)

Yeah the stuff that i need is 95 octane petrol, otherwise known as "gasoline" or "benzene" or "John Smith". And the places where they sell that precious liquid are commonly known as either "gas stations" or "petrol stations", depending which side of the pond you were born. Where i come from they are called "Tankstelle" and the stuff i need is called "Super Bleifrei" :D

And i need it for a bike as mentioned in my first post.... my car (pickup truck) runs on Diesel fuel, has a full tank - and won't be moved during this weekend anyway because my location (just beside Bangna intersection) will be blocked by the red idiots.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Hi.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Yeah the stuff that i need is 95 octane petrol, otherwise known as "gasoline" or "benzene" or "John Smith". And the places where they sell that precious liquid are commonly known as either "gas stations" or "petrol stations", depending which side of the pond you were born. Where i come from they are called "Tankstelle" and the stuff i need is called "Super Bleifrei" :D

And i need it for a bike as mentioned in my first post.... my car (pickup truck) runs on Diesel fuel, has a full tank - and won't be moved during this weekend anyway because my location (just beside Bangna intersection) will be blocked by the red idiots.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Thanh, I don't think you'll have a problem gassing up that great bike- I filled up with Shell 95 a couple of hours ago on SriNakarin between Pattanakan and On Nut and I was the only one in the station. There also doesn't seem to be a run at ATM machines - no lines at Lotus Seacon. :D

Why announce you are closing the petrol stations so far in advance? Surely this just p!sses of the locals, the protectors will (as they said they have) stockpile ready. Where's the benefit?

I wonder if there are any laws about transporting fuel here that could cause pick-ups carrying barrels to have their 'cargo' confiscated on the way down?

All it says is that it will cease deliveries during that period - not sales.

Anyone who remembers Songkran will remember that at least 1 tanker was seized and driven to an apartment block where the red shirts threatened to blow it up.

Hi.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Is it half empty or is it half full? That is the question... :) surrounding areas??

Thanh, I don't think you'll have a problem gassing up that great bike- I filled up with Shell 95 a couple of hours ago on SriNakarin between Pattanakan and On Nut and I was the only one in the station. There also doesn't seem to be a run at ATM machines - no lines at Lotus Seacon. :D

Thanks. I am in that same area now (Pattanakan) and will have to go to Sukhumvit soi 70, i usually fill at the Caltex right opposite my soi because they have petrol 95 (no gasohol as my bike, a two-stroke, doesn't like that stuff) and it's got some additive in it that makes the bike run somewhat better than Shell or Esso. There is another Caltex in Udomsuk, too, which i pass on the way home.

I just want to make sure i have enough petrol to get through the weekend, in case i have to go somewhere other than work since my second bike is also quite empty - and i don't want to be misunderstood by some people as that second bike is red :D

Kind regards.....

Thanh

Why announce you are closing the petrol stations so far in advance? Surely this just p!sses of the locals, the protectors will (as they said they have) stockpile ready. Where's the benefit?

I wonder if there are any laws about transporting fuel here that could cause pick-ups carrying barrels to have their 'cargo' confiscated on the way down?

All it says is that it will cease deliveries during that period - not sales.

Anyone who remembers Songkran will remember that at least 1 tanker was seized and driven to an apartment block where the red shirts threatened to blow it up.

That was actually a liquified petroleum gas tanker, not petrol. The Reds hijacked it and took it to the Din Daeng public housing flats where they threatened to detonate it. This is a very densely populated area and had the Reds actually blown the tanker, loss of life would have been tremendous. The Reds even demonstrated their madness at one point by opening the valve on the tanker and letting gas out. They eventually ran away when they found themselves outnumbered by local residents armed with sticks and also by army troops. The reds also hijacked another LPG tanker and blocked Sri Ayuthaya road with it. Army troops were able to take control of that one as well.

I think this might explain the rationale behind halting fuel deliveries commencing tomorrow. I would guess that this would include not only petrol deliveries, but also gas.

A gentle reminder of what a red shirt leader said before...

Here is a YouTube clip uploaded at the end of January. From around the five minute to the six minute stage, we have one second-tier red shirt leader, Arisman, at a red shirt rally speaking on a stage who states:

พี่น้องนัดกันคราวหน้า ถ้ารู้ว่าเขาจะปราบปราม ไม่ต้องเตรียมอะไรมาก มาด้วยกัน ขวดแก้วคนละใบ มาเติมน้ำมันเอาข้างหน้าบรรจุให้ได้ 75 ซีซีคือหนึ่งลิตร ถ้าเรามาหนึ่งล้านคนในกรุงเทพมหานครมีน้ำมันหนึ่งล้านลิตร รับรองว่ากทมเป็น ทะเลเพลิงอย่างแน่นอน การสู้ของคนเสื้อแดงแบบง่ายๆอย่างนี้ บอกให้ทหารได้รับทราบ บอกให้ทหารสุนัขรับใช้อมาตย์ได้รู้ว่า ถ้าคุณทำร้ายคนเสื้อแดงแม้เลือดหยดแต่หยดเดียว นั่นหมายความว่ากรุงเทพฯ จะเป็นทะเลเพลิงทันที

"Fellow Thais, for the next time [we protest], if you know that we will crackdown, there is no need to prepare a lot. Just bring one bottle each. Then fill it with oil so it is filled to 75cc-1 litre. If there are one million of us in Bangkok, there will be one million litres. I guarantee you that Bangkok will be a sea of fire for sure. The way the red shirts will fight back/respond is simple like this. We need to tell the military, tell the military dogs who are serving the aristocrats so that know that if you injure the red shirts with just one drop of blood then Bangkok will be a sea of fire."

http://us.asiancorrespondent.com/bangkok-p...on-gandhi-style

Maybe banning petrol is a good move...

Hi.

Just a quick information... i got my petrol, black bike is full. My boyfriend asked the petrol boy and he said yes, they will close tomorrow. That is Caltex opposite Sukhumvit soi 70, which is within the area that is being blocked by either the reds or the police/army, so i guess they either close because without cars coming there won't be business or because the gas stations generally close tomorrow. My bet is on the first possibility.

That station was empty, too, i was the only customer at the time. But somehow surprisingly little traffic in the whole area, i rarely got home that fast.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Early this morning government lawyers applied to the Thailand Supreme Court for an order closing all radio and television stations affiliated with the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD).

GREAT idea, THATS DEMOCRACY at its best! Tumbs up Khun Abhisit :D

....reminds me of the interfering transmitters the Soviet Union or the East German Government used in cold war :)

I think the government is taking the appropriate measures to try to reduce the possibility of violence. You may recall, or maybe not that radio has been used on a number of occasion to incite violence here in Thailand - radio was certainly a medium that was used during the tragedies at Thammasat. I'd rather see a few computers confiscated, and broadcasts stopped and a few measures that might cause a bit of disruption than a repeat of last years Songkran events.

wow "Early this morning government lawyers applied to the Thailand Supreme Court for an order closing all radio and television stations affiliated with the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD). "

Supressing their voice?

This rally organizers have the stated aim of overthrowing the current democratically elected government. Are you sure you know the difference between "free" speech and seditious speech?

Edited by lannarebirth

Early this morning government lawyers applied to the Thailand Supreme Court for an order closing all radio and television stations affiliated with the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD).

GREAT idea, THATS DEMOCRACY at its best! Tumbs up Khun Abhisit :D

....reminds me of the interfering transmitters the Soviet Union or the East German Government used in cold war :)

I think the government is taking the appropriate measures to try to reduce the possibility of violence. You may recall, or maybe not that radio has been used on a number of occasion to incite violence here in Thailand - radio was certainly a medium that was used during the tragedies at Thammasat. I'd rather see a few computers confiscated, and broadcasts stopped and a few measures that might cause a bit of disruption than a repeat of last years Songkran events.

During the Thammasat massacre, the radio station the was inciting most of the violence was the military radio station, which certainly wasn't shut down. Nor is it now. And PPT reports that lately they've been playing the same "Scum of the Earth" song that they were during the Thammasat massacre. It isn't civilian radio stations that need closing. But they will be the ones closed.