Trat

wedders

Never been that far east, and a web search doesn't produce anything much in the way of houses or land for sale on the mainland. Just curious, is it that the Trat province hasn't been developed as yet (except for the islands), or is there another reason?

I've just started looking for somewhere to buy, and have decided to head for the coast somewhere after three years in Chiang Mai where the air quality seems to be getting worse and worse each year. I've heard some bad things about pollution in Chon Buri and Rayong. Clean air is pretty important to me, as an asthmatic. Can't afford the islands... don't really want to be completely cut off anyway.

Just wondered if anyone on this forum knew anything about Trat, or anywhere else along the coast where the air quality is ok...

Why don't you try to find something in the area of Ban Phe. Is approx 20 km from Rayong - but in the opposite direction of the industrial area (which is the area of Mapthaput). It is still a quiet area and house/condo prices still acceptable.

:)

There are houses and land for sale in Trat. But there isn't a big expat community and no large housing developments or condos so no agents catering to farangs. If you search on the Thai sites you'll find plenty of land plots for sale. Or just spend time driving around and you'll see hand written signs on trees for farmland plots for sale.

I'd say the Chantaburi area is a better place to live than Trat - seems to have everything that an expat could want - from Tesco to good beaches to International Hospital , yet at the moment doesn't have that many expat residents. There are also a growing number of expats living up in the Soi Dao area just north of Chantburi, lots of fruit farms there, rolling hills, fresh air.

Why don't you try to find something in the area of Ban Phe. Is approx 20 km from Rayong - but in the opposite direction of the industrial area (which is the area of Mapthaput). It is still a quiet area and house/condo prices still acceptable.

Ban Phe its clean and affordable and opposite Koh Samet Island

good luck

There are houses and land for sale in Trat. But there isn't a big expat community and no large housing developments or condos so no agents catering to farangs. If you search on the Thai sites you'll find plenty of land plots for sale. Or just spend time driving around and you'll see hand written signs on trees for farmland plots for sale.

I'd say the Chantaburi area is a better place to live than Trat - seems to have everything that an expat could want - from Tesco to good beaches to International Hospital , yet at the moment doesn't have that many expat residents. There are also a growing number of expats living up in the Soi Dao area just north of Chantburi, lots of fruit farms there, rolling hills, fresh air.

I was down that way a year or two back, and as Changian says there's loads of signs in trees etc. The coast from Trat toward Cambodia is really nice and laid back, with opportunities for small bungalow developments (many old rundown, and some newer). A couple of major developments (low rise condos or estates) were just trying to get going, but not sure how last years crash would have affected things. It's a long way from civilisation though.. you'd really need to visit for a few days and look around.

Anywhere east of Rayong is clear of the industrialisation, and reasonable pricing (except right on the beach!!!!)

The wife and I have lived in Chanthaburi for 3 years now and find the area great. As stated in prior replies good qual. air close to the beach's, shopping, great locals, very nice hospitals and about 40% cheaper than the tourest areas to live. Good luck on your choice

The wife and I have lived in Chanthaburi for 3 years now and find the area great. As stated in prior replies good qual. air close to the beach's, shopping, great locals, very nice hospitals and about 40% cheaper than the tourest areas to live. Good luck on your choice

Thanks - again having some problems finding any properties for sale on the web in Chanthaburi... if you know of any agents with a website, that would be great, to help get an idea of prices in the region...

Thanks - again having some problems finding any properties for sale on the web in Chanthaburi... if you know of any agents with a website, that would be great, to help get an idea of prices in the region...

Anywhere outwith the established expat areas there's little in the way of agents. You could try the banks websites to look for repossesions, or just talks to the locals when you get there. BUT frarang MUST NOT BE SEEN....

I heard about a place near me. Old lady wanted to sell 4 rai & small house for 1million, to go to bangkok to live her last few years with her daughter. She saw me and she immediately asked for 3 million. I told her she'd die alone then. no matter what people say, if there's so much as a sniff or farang price is immediately doubled or more.

You need to get firm price agreed and then you go look, and even then be prepared to walk away from the inevitable sudden increased price.

Hope these links are of some use, all in Thai however, may have to get the mrs to translate.

http://www3.thailisting.com/default.aspx?a...=House&l=en

http://www.ddproperty.com/property/more/34038

http://www.ddproperty.com/property/show/31536

http://www.buyatsiam.com/APropertyDetail.html?id=226

http://www.buyatsiam.com/ASearch.html?cont...;orderForm=true

As mentioned by a previous poster, not many farangs down Chanthaburi way hence the lack of English language sites.

From my visits down to Chanthaburi I have always been impressed by the clean unpolluted air, some may consider it a bit remote, but thats one of the attractions to me, peace and quiet.

Steve73, dont know where you were looking, I was looking in the Tha Mai district and was quoted the same prices per rai as a Thai friend who bought property in the same area, I can honestly say I found the locals to be some of the most friendly I have ever seen in Thailand, and coming from a cynic like me its not a compliment I give easily.

Since looking in the area, the mrs and I have to go look again, some of the people we know in Bkk are from down that way and we have been offered various properties that will need investigating.

The problem is we dont want a 20 rai farm, just 2 or 3 rai is enough, thats the problem trying to find someone who only wants to sell 2 or 3 rai at most.

The 4 rai for 1 million sounds about right, I would have been interested myself, not even bothered about the house, knock it down and put up a new one.

The most I was quoted was 300,000 baht per rai for full chanote land, the more land purchased the cheaper it would have been.

Some old dear offered a 30 rai rubber tree farm, what the heck do I know about rubber trees? bless her.

Thanks for those links rgs, the Mrs has looked at them, interesting.

Some old dear offered a 30 rai rubber tree farm, what the heck do I know about rubber trees? bless her.

Me neither, but I imagine farangs need to grow bigger ones :)

Most people don't know Trat mainland well. To the West of Trat town for instance the landscape is hilly, very green with many fruit and rubber plantations, lakes surrounded by hilly forests, good streets with almost no traffic and very friendly people indeed. The area is clean, without pollution, laid back, secure and beautiful.

From there it's between 10-20 minutes by car to Trat town, about 25 minutes to the next nice beach and about 50 minutes to Chantaburi town. A good place to live for someone who likes that indeed.

Most people don't know Trat mainland well. To the West of Trat town for instance the landscape is hilly, very green with many fruit and rubber plantations, lakes surrounded by hilly forests, good streets with almost no traffic and very friendly people indeed. The area is clean, without pollution, laid back, secure and beautiful.

From there it's between 10-20 minutes by car to Trat town, about 25 minutes to the next nice beach and about 50 minutes to Chantaburi town. A good place to live for someone who likes that indeed.

Sounds like a wonderful place.

Hi Birdman

At last someone who knows about Trat mainland and its beaches.:):)

I would like to spend 4 or 5 nights in Trat (on my return from Cambodia via land) mainly to enjoy the pristne beaches there but dont find much info on Trat mainland beaches and accomodation.

If i stayed in Trat town and rented a motor bike would that option be better or to stay on one of the beaches which look very nice clean and pristine like Ban chaen beach and Had Kweo beach.

Also i have no idea about the distance from Trat town to these beaches. Irrespective where i stay i want to hire a motor bike if its available for rent in Trat.I enjoy local food and local prices.

For accomodation looking for something in the 400 to 500 range with aircon and hotwater.I dont mind spending more if its worth the room and the view.

Would deeply appreciate your advise

We plan on going in November.

Please email me on [email protected] and i also use msn messenger.

Many years ago i had stayed in Chantaburi had visited a national park there with a lovely waterfall and fish in a pool but wasnt aware of any nice beach close by.

Look forward to your detailed reply

Many thanks

Eddie

Hi Birdman

At last someone who knows about Trat mainland and its beaches.:):)

I would like to spend 4 or 5 nights in Trat (on my return from Cambodia via land) mainly to enjoy the pristne beaches there but dont find much info on Trat mainland beaches and accomodation.

If i stayed in Trat town and rented a motor bike would that option be better or to stay on one of the beaches which look very nice clean and pristine like Ban chaen beach and Had Kweo beach.

Also i have no idea about the distance from Trat town to these beaches. Irrespective where i stay i want to hire a motor bike if its available for rent in Trat.I enjoy local food and local prices.

For accomodation looking for something in the 400 to 500 range with aircon and hotwater.I dont mind spending more if its worth the room and the view.

Would deeply appreciate your advise

We plan on going in November.

Please email me on [email protected] and i also use msn messenger.

Many years ago i had stayed in Chantaburi had visited a national park there with a lovely waterfall and fish in a pool but wasnt aware of any nice beach close by.

Look forward to your detailed reply

Many thanks

Eddie

• 2 weeks later...

Best beaches at Trat/mainland are indeed on the way from/to Cambodia along # highway 31. There is one beach after another. Nice sand, clear water, like in the South.

There are accommodations with no or a few Farang here and there, prices between 400-1.000. Can't recommend one, because I have my own accommodation in Trat. There are no motorcycles rentals except private perhaps from the staff at these resorts over there.

The whole area is hardly developed. People can't speak English. Farangs are seldom on these beaches, more Thais during the weekend and holidays. Almost every Farang is passing by.

In Trat town near the market there is/was a motorcycle rental, don't know exactly because I have a car. It is appr 45 minutes from there to these beaches.

• 1 month later...

there r several motorbikerentals in trat (resp. trad). they r located 100 to 200 meter east of the mall which is in the beginning of the sukhumvit road in trat, around soi 1.

the rent is 200 baht a day. i just made the visarun to hat lek by motorbike rented in trad. then u have time to c the beaches and everything over there.

just plan a day for it - i started in trad at 10 am and arrived in hat lek at around 1 pm, with some stops at several beaches, some of them 100% undeveloped and not easy to find...

the pictures u can find on the koh chang section of allsiam.net

• 6 months later...

Dear Changian

After spending 24 nights in Laos i would like to relax and swim on a pristine white sand beach in Chantaburi or Trat for 3 nights.I also would like to hire a scooter.Can u recommend where i can stay for around 500 to 700 baht,in Chantaburi town or Chantaburi beach??? I dont know any name of pristine beautiful beach for swimming and will arrive by bus from Bangkok.

Deeply appreciate your advise.My email is [email protected]

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have info on Ao Tan Khu (Tan Khu Bay)? Never found the time to explore this area of Trat. I prefer bungalow type accommodations and usually don't have a problem with native foods. Tend to get along with the locals wherever I've traveled, be it remote islands in the South Pacific, country inns in Japan or fishing villages in Southeast Asia.