2009 Yaris Liftback

mhortig

After one year we took our new Yaris into Toyota for service. They convinced my Thai wife to spend 2,000 baht to have the air conditioner serviced. They said it was recommended. Unfortunately they could not give me an English service manual so I don't know if its recommended or just a good idea so they could sell some service. I suspect the latter. I have had cars in hotter climates than this, and never had the air conditioner serviced, nor did I ever have any problems. Can one of you car experts out there shed some light on this. I really do not want to spend 2,000 baht every year as they recommend, if its not really necessary. I do not object to spending the bucks for legitimately necessary preventative maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

Toyota can supply you with an english manual if requested, for a price of course.

Normally the A/C is checked at each service for leaks etc.

If you see fluid marks around the connections of your A/C it usually means a rubber seal/gasket is blown and needs to be replaced.

You can check it yourself, if it is not cold enough by having it running and there will be a glass inspection bubble to see if any fluid is running through it. If you cant see any fluid, usually means have a leak and needs repair and re gassing.