Quality Beef In Udon Thani

bdenner

There breeding program is to come up with a quality marbled steak which originally the japanese market wanted ,ok if you like marbling,personally I dont.

Do you know if the 'quality marbled steak' is what they usually sell in good quality steak houses in the US?

Also you mentioned them using live weight to determine when to slaughter. I've looked a bit at university web sites in the US and there they mostly talk about what to feed cows at different weights. They often estimate the age a cow will be at that weight but it seems like the feed regimen is determined by weight more than age. They take a cows breed and frame size into account in determining the weight at which changes are made. I've never raised cows before and my interest is coming from wanting a convenient manure source for my gardening...but if I'm going to have a couple of cows then I might as well try to do it full on.

ha ha

There breeding program is to come up with a quality marbled steak which originally the japanese market wanted ,ok if you like marbling,personally I dont.

Do you know if the 'quality marbled steak' is what they usually sell in good quality steak houses in the US?

Also you mentioned them using live weight to determine when to slaughter. I've looked a bit at university web sites in the US and there they mostly talk about what to feed cows at different weights. They often estimate the age a cow will be at that weight but it seems like the feed regimen is determined by weight more than age. They take a cows breed and frame size into account in determining the weight at which changes are made. I've never raised cows before and my interest is coming from wanting a convenient manure source for my gardening...but if I'm going to have a couple of cows then I might as well try to do it full on.

ha ha plenty of manure around these forums :o dont know about septics steak preferences but aussies tend to prefer lean steak . japanese were and are the big market for marble steak .as well as breeding, marbling is excess fat which the beast puts on through intensive feeding and inactivity,. bit like some of us.

most cattle in feed lots in oz are range reared (called store cattle ) then put into feed lots for 50-300 days to put on the excess fat. (called finishing )

ha ha

ha ha plenty of manure around these forums :o dont know about septics steak preferences but aussies tend to prefer lean steak . japanese were and are the big market for marble steak .as well as breeding, marbling is excess fat which the beast puts on through intensive feeding and inactivity,. bit like some of us.

most cattle in feed lots in oz are range reared (called store cattle ) then put into feed lots for 50-300 days to put on the excess fat. (called finishing )

I'm with you there.Marbled steak is not a patch on lean steak IMO. Personally prefer grazed animals than grain fed...more flavour.

here's an interesting link about a relativley new breed that could do well here.

South Poll

I

ha ha

I'm with you there.Marbled steak is not a patch on lean steak IMO. Personally prefer grazed animals than grain fed...more flavour.

here's an interesting link about a relativley new breed that could do well here.

South Poll

Interesting breed line chuchok, only thing is for the tropics as in Nth. Q or LoS tick resistancy is vital which is why brahman is in most tropical lines.

same same Ray,I,m still weighing up the pro,s and con,s, the small amount of land required is a big plus as the beasts are stabled all the time,you only need room for stable,food storeage shed and haystack,a fair bit of water is required as they clean and wash down the floor daily

One particular thing I noticed is that the co-op goes for an optimum live weight for slaughter and not age of beast as we do in oz >ie.weaner or yearling, the optimum weight of 750-800kg live weight probably gives the best reclaim ratio.

I believe the co-op now supplies their beef through Macro outlets as well . I to come from farming background but I can still make the best cut of beef taste like buffalo when it comes to cooking. :o

That would be great to talk to him at least I could find if this is something possible for me to gte involved in.

The other thing that I looke at heavily was rubber trees, my guess is the turn around time on the money would be better in this, less then seven years.

I wonder under those conditions what the turn around time is for 750 Kilos?

I think it really depends on feed costs and what the purchase and sale price if it is going to be possible.

Oh well hopefully it will be better then just sinking money in a house that you will never recover.

Land is a key also it has gone sky high around here, witnin 10Kms of Udon you can figure around 400 K a rai. truth is that is a lot more then you pay for farm land in the states, I think around $35,000 an acre. You can still buy farm land in California for about $10,000 an acre. Back east it is even cheaper.

I reviewed a site FBI realty I saw 17 Ria in a farm town about 40 Kms from Udon they wanted 8 mil Baht. Of course with the information that it wa great for a development. At those kind of prices believe me I will rent for 3500 a month for a very long time.

On the other hand, we have found land for 20K a ria about 15 KMS from Nung Bua lampu. But at this juncture it is hard to tell what will be needed to do this. How close you need to be to the coop ect.

At the moment it's a dream but wiht some work and a bit of luck

same same Ray,I,m still weighing up the pro,s and con,s, the small amount of land required is a big plus as the beasts are stabled all the time,you only need room for stable,food storeage shed and haystack,a fair bit of water is required as they clean and wash down the floor daily

One particular thing I noticed is that the co-op goes for an optimum live weight for slaughter and not age of beast as we do in oz >ie.weaner or yearling, the optimum weight of 750-800kg live weight probably gives the best reclaim ratio.

I believe the co-op now supplies their beef through Macro outlets as well . I to come from farming background but I can still make the best cut of beef taste like buffalo when it comes to cooking. :o

That would be great to talk to him at least I could find if this is something possible for me to gte involved in.

The other thing that I looke at heavily was rubber trees, my guess is the turn around time on the money would be better in this, less then seven years.

I wonder under those conditions what the turn around time is for 750 Kilos?

I think it really depends on feed costs and what the purchase and sale price if it is going to be possible.

Oh well hopefully it will be better then just sinking money in a house that you will never recover.

Land is a key also it has gone sky high around here, witnin 10Kms of Udon you can figure around 400 K a rai. truth is that is a lot more then you pay for farm land in the states, I think around $35,000 an acre. You can still buy farm land in California for about $10,000 an acre. Back east it is even cheaper.

I reviewed a site FBI realty I saw 17 Ria in a farm town about 40 Kms from Udon they wanted 8 mil Baht. Of course with the information that it wa great for a development. At those kind of prices believe me I will rent for 3500 a month for a very long time.

On the other hand, we have found land for 20K a ria about 15 KMS from Nung Bua lampu. But at this juncture it is hard to tell what will be needed to do this. How close you need to be to the coop ect.

At the moment it's a dream but wiht some work and a bit of luck

Ray,I got some more figures from mate yesterday and been cross-referencing with feed-lot data from oz. The food the co-op supplies is 5.5 bt per kg,the cattle are fed about 5kg twice aday plus supplementary bulk food like rice hay with mollasses.or 50/50 greens when available. oz feedlot data shows av conversion of food to body weight is 15kg food ==wt gain of 1.3 kg per day which realises a return of 29% over C>O>P. Mate has 10 beasts in a compound of just over 1/4 acre and still room for a garden.also the co-op at S/N sells stock

I'm always amazed that the Aussies think their beef is true world class. I won't argue that but I will say that the Thai French beef is every bit as good or better besides being considerably cheaper. The range beef here in Thailand requires a pressure cooker to get it tender enough to even eat.

I'm always amazed that the Aussies think their beef is true world class. I won't argue that but I will say that the Thai French beef is every bit as good or better besides being considerably cheaper. The range beef here in Thailand requires a pressure cooker to get it tender enough to even eat.

Aussie beef is crap,but better than Thai.The yanks put out some tender stuff, but the Kiwi stuff is best. :o

Aussie beef is crap,but better than Thai.The yanks put out some tender stuff, but the Kiwi stuff is best. :D

Thought the kiwi,s preferred a bitta EWE to a bitta cow. :o

Aussie beef is crap,but better than Thai.The yanks put out some tender stuff, but the Kiwi stuff is best. :D

Thought the kiwi,s preferred a bitta EWE to a bitta cow. :o

what about abitta roo..... :D

They are cross bred with Senepols, that are ment to be great tropical cattle.They are breeding them in Aussie as well.Dunno about ticks though.

Here's the Aussie site.Seneopls

Cattle breeding is about continually adding a breed into the line to add some attribute thats missing or can be improved .most cross breeds start out using BOS or domestic cattle because they are acclimatised to a particular area and have resistance to vermin of that area.Senepols are bred from the native cow of Senegal and a Limey Red Poll. Most popular cross breeds for the tropics have brahman,zebu or other BOS in their lines, evidentally you can get down to 1/8 cross and still retain their original resistance to vermin like ticks,tsetse flies etc.

but try as they might they cant breed a kiwi sheep with handle bars :o

They are cross bred with Senepols, that are ment to be great tropical cattle.They are breeding them in Aussie as well.Dunno about ticks though.

Cattle breeding is about continually adding a breed into the line to add some attribute thats missing or can be improved .most cross breeds start out using BOS or domestic cattle because they are acclimatised to a particular area and have resistance to vermin of that area.Senepols are bred from the native cow of Senegal and a Limey Red Poll. Most popular cross breeds for the tropics have brahman,zebu or other BOS in their lines, evidentally you can get down to 1/8 cross and still retain their original resistance to vermin like ticks,tsetse flies etc.

but try as they might they cant breed a kiwi sheep with handle bars :o

Yep i do understand that, except the part about the sheep...I mean you guys actually shag an animal that fights back...you're special. :D

Here is the part about Senepol..us Kiwis can read you know.

"Senepol cattle have evolved over 200 years in the Virgin Islands in the West Indies.

They are a two-breed re-coated poll composite, blending N’Dama (a naturally-adapted 100pc bos Taurus animal imported into the West Indies from West Africa during the slave trade days) with British Red Poll cattle.

The original N’Dama imports into the Virgin Islands self-selected for about 130 years in an environment with very high tick and parasite challenge, before British Red Polls were introduced into the local herd in 1918.

The descendants, Senepols, have been closely managed and selected for over the past 50 years, and the first Senepol cattle exports were made to the US in 1977."

I am just going to add a bit here. Ever hear of the King Ranch in Texas. If not it is one of the premier ranches or the world. They developed the Santa Gertrudis breed of cattle there but that is not the point. It seems land is the point for you guys and this is something that I have told tomy wife. I will not do this this but someone will and that is have enough pioneer spirit to do as the founderers of the King Ranch did. They went and got some scrub land (a whold bunch of it) used cheap Mexican labor and developed an empire.

Now that I have rambled Go to Loas where you can homestead land and open your ranch with you cattle that are already bread for you by the folks in Sakon Korn. The labor in Loas is cheap and you will be on your way. Even as a foreigner you can lease land for 100 years renewable. Thought about it but back injuries just can't do it physically. Have been around the cattle industry most of my life. Family raised Beefmasters. LOts of work. Lots of work. Please don't go into this just thinking that if i turn this animal out to eat and shit and grow, I will make money cause it won't work. Working cattle is a whole lot of work but is very enjoyable work and can be very satisfying.

Thought I would add two cents worth and it is really on a penys worth.

thanks and later.

but try as they might they cant breed a kiwi sheep with handle bars :D

Yep i do understand that, except the part about the sheep...I mean you guys actually shag an animal that fights back...you're special. :D

Here is the part about Senepol..us Kiwis can read you know.

"Senepol cattle have evolved over 200 years in the Virgin Islands in the West Indies.

They are a two-breed re-coated poll composite, blending N’Dama (a naturally-adapted 100pc bos Taurus animal imported into the West Indies from West Africa during the slave trade days) with British Red Poll cattle.

The original N’Dama imports into the Virgin Islands self-selected for about 130 years in an environment with very high tick and parasite challenge, before British Red Polls were introduced into the local herd in 1918.

The descendants, Senepols, have been closely managed and selected for over the past 50 years, and the first Senepol cattle exports were made to the US in 1977."

I knew that someone who comes from south of latitude 40degrees south must be ok :o

I am just going to add a bit here.  Ever hear of the King Ranch in Texas.  If not it is one of the premier ranches or the world.  They developed the Santa Gertrudis breed of cattle there but that is not the point.  It seems land is the point for you guys and this is something that I have told tomy wife.  I will not do this this but someone will and that is have enough pioneer spirit  to do as the founderers of the King Ranch did.  They went and got some scrub land (a whold bunch of it) used cheap Mexican labor and developed an empire.

Now that I have rambled Go to Loas where you can homestead land and open your ranch with you cattle that are already bread for you by the folks in Sakon Korn.  The labor in Loas is cheap and you will be on your way.  Even as a foreigner you can lease land for 100 years renewable.  Thought about it but back injuries just can't do it physically.  Have been around the cattle industry most of my life.  Family raised Beefmasters.  LOts of work.  Lots of work.  Please don't go into this just thinking that if i turn this animal out to eat and shit and grow, I will make money cause it won't work.  Working cattle is a whole lot of work but is very enjoyable work and can be very satisfying.

thanks and later.

Foreigners can lease land in Laos for 100 years renewable? Tell me more or where I can find more...please.

I am just going to add a bit here.  Ever hear of the King Ranch in Texas.  If not it is one of the premier ranches or the world.  They developed the Santa Gertrudis breed of cattle there but that is not the point.  It seems land is the point for you guys and this is something that I have told tomy wife.  I will not do this this but someone will and that is have enough pioneer spirit  to do as the founderers of the King Ranch did.  They went and got some scrub land (a whold bunch of it) used cheap Mexican labor and developed an empire.

Now that I have rambled Go to Loas where you can homestead land and open your ranch with you cattle that are already bread for you by the folks in Sakon Korn.  The labor in Loas is cheap and you will be on your way.  Even as a foreigner you can lease land for 100 years renewable.  Thought about it but back injuries just can't do it physically.  Have been around the cattle industry most of my life.  Family raised Beefmasters.  LOts of work.  Lots of work.  Please don't go into this just thinking that if i turn this animal out to eat and shit and grow, I will make money cause it won't work.  Working cattle is a whole lot of work but is very enjoyable work and can be very satisfying.

thanks and later.

King ranch in oz was 1/2 the size of Texas , read their history recently ,he was a man with vision,nice to have a practical man put his two bob,s worth in banpaeng.

Chownah,

I wish I could tell you more. Got most of my info from the folks that run the bakery in Vientiene. They are Canadian. Also had my Wife do a bit of snooping. as she is Thai. It will not be an easy thing and you have to be able to build something there to live in and live in it to homestead it. As you know you will have lots of legal paperwork and lot of grease money but that is what drove the King Ranch. In the end I think if someone has the backbone and teh knowledge of cattle and the wherewithall to fool with the Govt.(King messed with the spanish and the Mixicans and Texans) you could stike it good. Up around the plane of Jars looked like some good pasture land.

AS stated this is only a suggestion as I did not followup and only a thought. It just came to mind as you started looking for cheap land for cattle.

Chownah,

I wish I could tell you more.  Got most of my info from the folks that run the bakery in Vientiene.  They are Canadian.  Also had my Wife do a bit of snooping. as she is Thai.  It will not be an easy thing and you have to be able to build something there to live in and live in it to homestead it.  As you know you will have lots of legal paperwork and lot of grease money but that is what drove the King Ranch.  In the end I think if someone has the backbone and teh knowledge of cattle and the wherewithall to fool with the Govt.(King messed with the spanish and the Mixicans and Texans) you could stike it good.  Up around the plane of Jars looked like some good pasture land.

AS stated this is only a suggestion as I did not followup and only a thought.  It just came to mind as you started looking for cheap land for cattle.

Who did your wife snoop with? Unless she had some special source I would say that this is all theoretic at best. Did you hear of any one actually doing it...even one person? Sounds like all you are saying is that the Lao Gov't could be bought..something which I kind of doubt. I think you know that the Plain of Jars is a hotbed of anti-gov't forces that the gov't labels as 'bandits'. Your first post sounded like this was something anyone could just go right ahead and do....now it sounds like an ill conceived plan which would mostly just waste peoples time. Can you provide us anything substantial that this is a real world possibility?

Unless you REALLY crave the old wild west adventures you would be best off to avoid Laos. In case you have forgotten Laos is still a communist country and as such the country has a lot of people who are not happy with the system. The Laos government is into extermination and if the soldiers can find rebels of any sort the rebels are simply eliminated. No publicity or reporters to document things like that.

Chownah,

I wish I could tell you more.  Got most of my info from the folks that run the bakery in Vientiene.  They are Canadian.  Also had my Wife do a bit of snooping. as she is Thai.  It will not be an easy thing and you have to be able to build something there to live in and live in it to homestead it.  As you know you will have lots of legal paperwork and lot of grease money but that is what drove the King Ranch.  In the end I think if someone has the backbone and teh knowledge of cattle and the wherewithall to fool with the Govt.(King messed with the spanish and the Mixicans and Texans) you could stike it good.  Up around the plane of Jars looked like some good pasture land.

AS stated this is only a suggestion as I did not followup and only a thought.  It just came to mind as you started looking for cheap land for cattle.

Who did your wife snoop with? Unless she had some special source I would say that this is all theoretic at best. Did you hear of any one actually doing it...even one person? Sounds like all you are saying is that the Lao Gov't could be bought..something which I kind of doubt. I think you know that the Plain of Jars is a hotbed of anti-gov't forces that the gov't labels as 'bandits'. Your first post sounded like this was something anyone could just go right ahead and do....now it sounds like an ill conceived plan which would mostly just waste peoples time. Can you provide us anything substantial that this is a real world possibility?

Chownah ,there is/was a regulation in LoS that allows the leasing of 50,000-100,000 rai of ex forest areas for 30 years at 5 bt per rai (one payment only) as long as it was planted with eucalypts, the object was/is to ensure a supply of timber for the pulp mills here in LoS. Will see if I can find it again.

Chownah,

Is there a market for two and three legged cows ? BOOM :o

Chownah,

Sorry if you are misled. I told you it is only a suggestion and needed a lot of investigation and lots of money and lots of guts. Do with this inof as you please and as far as I am concerned discard it. It makes me little but if all adventure started and ended with only supplied information with no investigation we would get nowhere. By the way King came to Texas to find a small farm and endeed up with a ranch. He did not come here to own most of south Texas.

goodbye

Chownah,

Sorry if you are misled.  I told you it is only a suggestion and needed a lot of investigation and lots of money and lots of guts.  Do with this inof as you please and as far as I am concerned discard it.  It makes me little but if all adventure started and ended with only supplied information with no investigation we would get nowhere.  By the way King came to Texas to find a small farm and endeed up with a ranch.  He did not come here to own most of south Texas.

goodbye

King Ranch is definetly a success story, But I'm not in a period of my life where I care to be a pioneer, did my thing already that is why I can live here now and not work. I have no visions of becoming wealthy I have enough now. Maybe not enough for others but for me enough.

But what I would like to do is to buid something for my own selfish motives, I.E. keeping busy and to leave my wife something more worthwhile then just a house.

Like you I can not pysically do the work, but I can afford $50.00 a week for workers. I would not consider range cattle, requires to much land. But I might be able to do a good feedlot opertion. I would much rather spend my time involved in something like that, then other activities that are a daily operation for some here.

Sounds like you have a adventerous sole, good for you. Myself I would be happy to see something grow from a thought of mine.

Chownah,

Made the run to Sakun Nakon yesterday the bottom end is a bit sore from the ride, out of practise I guess. But it was good to gte out again. That is infact a serious operation they have there. They were more then happy to sale us cut of meats and even hinted at selling calves at 55 baht a kilo live wieght. Especailly when they heard we were from Udon. When spoke of sitting up an opertion there they were much less helpful. Made it very clear that thye were not going to accept anymore members in thier co-op.

It appeared that thye had the expertise to raise the beef and to market it as well at good prices.

We bought some beef from them and intentionally picked out cheaper cuts to see what the flavor would be.

I look forward to meeting your friend in Roi Et, for the life of me I can not remember what area that is.

I have no idea if what I ran into at the Co Cp, it might have been a language problem, or it mihgt have bee that they want to protect thier market. Just don't know.

Ray,

Sound like you might be a little more like myself a little long in the tooth so here goes. As stated before this is anoter suggestion. Did not meat to offend chownah but seemed to. anyway.

Sometime within the last two years someone from Korat cam to Houston and loaded some beefmaster angus cross cows to take back for some breeding program. I personall think anything with the beefmaster cross would do fine as they thrive in South Texas like very hot/Acidic sandy land/scrub brush. I heard this on the news here and DO NOT have any more information on this and only hope Korat is correct. Am pretty positive an the breed selection

Too bad I could not find about 100 acres I could afford and start a bull riding operation over there. More money in that now than in raising beef. The Professional Bull Riders here in the states is big money now and with the Thais build and their since of adventure it is a natural. but then the age thing thing kicks in and like you Ray I ain't going to do that either. No money either. Will just watch it on television and enjoy life.

Feelots sound like the way to go. My last suggestion on this note is make sure you save your fertilizer for your garden. it will work good.

Chownah,

Made the run to Sakun Nakon yesterday the bottom end is a bit sore from the ride, out of practise I guess. But it was good to gte out again. That is infact a serious operation they have there. They were more then happy to sale us cut of meats and even hinted at selling calves at 55 baht a kilo live wieght. Especailly when they heard we were from Udon. When spoke of sitting up an opertion there they were much less helpful. Made it very clear that thye were not going to accept anymore members in thier co-op.

It appeared that thye had the expertise to raise the beef and to market it as well at good prices.

We bought some beef from them and intentionally picked out cheaper cuts to see what the flavor would be.

I look forward to meeting your friend in Roi Et, for the life of me I can not remember what area that is.

I have no idea if what I ran into at the Co Cp, it might have been a language problem, or it mihgt have bee that they want to protect thier market. Just don't know.

Spoke to brent about it mate and he confirmed, he has limit of 9 cattle, evidentally heaps of farangs with incomes jumped on the band wagon and bought so much land and stock that supply has exceeded demand, but there are thai co-op members around who cant keep up the outlay on feed till stock are slaughtered so want out .there is one near Roi-et who wants to lease out land and sell his membership and stock,ask brent about it.

meantime ,still have the fish farm idea on the stove, less cost for infrastructure and ready market for product. see ya next week..

Ray,

Sound like you might be a little more like myself a little long in the tooth so here goes.  As stated before this is anoter suggestion.  Did not meat to offend chownah but seemed to.  anyway. 

Sometime within the last two years someone from Korat cam to Houston and loaded some beefmaster angus cross cows to take back for some breeding program.  I personall think anything with the beefmaster cross would do fine as they thrive in South Texas like very hot/Acidic sandy land/scrub brush.  I heard this on the news here and DO NOT have any more information on this and only hope Korat is correct.  Am pretty positive an the breed selection

Too bad I could not find about 100 acres I could afford and start a bull riding operation over there.  More money in  that now than in raising beef.  The Professional Bull Riders here in the states is big money now and with the Thais build and their since of adventure it is a natural.  but then the age thing thing kicks in and like you Ray I ain't going to do that either.  No money either.  Will just watch it on television and enjoy life.

Feelots sound like the way to go.  My last suggestion on this note is make sure you save your fertilizer for your garden.  it will work good.

Not as long in tooth as you might think the youngest of seven boys, All Texans except me. My father was born just outside San Antone in 1884. I'm 58, I hope to stay a active as good old Dad Laughter.

I'm fortunate in that I retired as a Sgt of Police from a Southern California Department and my retirement is good. So I have a bit of money I can do this with, but I did retire with a spinal injury and I do I have my monents especially if I try to do things like I used to. Angus is the best beef I have ever had and I have wondered if it could make it in Texas why it couldn't here. But I think it's been tried.

Now for the taste test remember I said I bought the cheap cuts on purpose, didn't tenderize it and the only prep work was a bit of salt and pepper, cooked on an electric grill. I won't say it was the bet beef I've ever had but it was juicy and tender as could be, with a good flavor. Remember this beef isn't cheap, the inexpensive cuts that I got were 200 baht a kilo. The good Filet runs 750 a kilo, but if you want a good Thailand steak it is worth every baht.

I liked it a little better then the Thai French Market as it had never been frozen and that resulted in a better flavor I think. If I would care for anothe ride I would buy it there again, otherwise I would go with the local source here in Udon.

If I can get involved in this feed lot operation I will, I think it would be a great way to stay a bit active and maybe leave something for the wife that would take care of her for years.

Yep a 100 Acres out there and my cowboy thoughts when I was kid does sound like an adventure but I would say that I am too long in tooth for that.

• 4 months later...
If you want quality beef, then you will need to buy it from an importer.  Local beef is only Bhraman cross.. the worst you can get..

Let me know if you want the address of importers of some quality stuff..

:D

ray23 is correct. The beef is as good as I get in Perth and I believe it is grain fed. Have you tried it? :o

Yes.. you can get some pretty crap beef in Perth ... I have tried all types of beef throughout the world and I am very aware of what makes a good steak.. it definately isn't the stuff running around in the fields in Thailand.. It might be grain fed, but wouldn't be anything like the stuff in OZ or the States...

But then again if you like it then good on you... no need to waste money on good quality stuff ! :D

Your absolutley correct as to range fed cattle, but there are feed lot operation's in Thailand, they are grain fed in those operations just as they are any where else. The reason you don't find it often here is it raised for export and not local consumption. You will pay more for the beef mentioned in this thread. I was told that this beef was raised in Khan Kean. I had some interest in it myself as it was something you could do without a lot of land. I have not found anything in Khan Kean yet, but there is a feedlot association in Sukonakorn ( sorry about spelling)

So the beef industry is changing in Thailand you won't find it at the local market, nor Lotus, there is not enough to meet that kind of demand. You have to find a local butchershop, there is the one in Udon very small operation, Just like butchershops used to be, you go in pick you meat and have it sliced the way you want it.

I have no doubt that you know your beef and maybe this won't fit your taste as it does mine. But until you have tried it seems very unfair to me, to say negative things about a small business. There are not a lot of people who will not pay the price for this beef and a struggling business such as this saves me long drives to get what I want locally. I want them to succeed they go under and then I'm back to searching.

So buy a cut prepare it the way you like, taste it and then gives us your thoughts.

But don't put down a specific business unless you have tried it. that is only fair.

ray23.. I am not putting down that business.. just Thai beef in general.. :D

I have been involved with beef since birth and now I trade beef on a very large scale.. so trust me I know my beef very well..

The breeds of cattle in Thailand aren't conducive to producing good cuts of beef.. they are the same types that you will find in the NW of OZ.. (tough animals that can stand the hot temperatures)

Also the quality of beef also depends largely on the slaughtering and processing techniques used, of which Thailand is eons behind......

If you want to compare steaks... then maybe we should have a cook off in LOS one day! :D

TRT, sounds like you have a vested interest in bad mouthing Thai Beef. I have eaten beef all over the world and this July I had a T-Bone Steak in Mukdahan

and it was one of the best steaks I have had anywhere it was very tasty and almost mounted in my mouth. I asked where they got it and they said Thai French Beef Company, a definate threat to imported beef as the price was under 300 baht. Issangeorge

I have not eaten the French Beef but I will say that there is more than breed that goes into a good cut of beef.

1. The first thing is the selection of beef cattle you acquire.

2. It is the environment and quality of feed that the animal uses.

3. It is the up to the abitor and butvher. It can have perfect items 1and 2 and if not done right or aged right, the beef will not be good.

4. Actualy it is the same as 3 except now we deal with the preperation. It not done properly 1,2 and 3 make no difference.

the last factor that foes into this is personal taste. 1, 2, 3 and 4 can all be done perfectly but if you do not like the taste of that chef using, then all is for naught. Surely you have sat beside someone and they are just thrilled with a meal and you have the same thing and you wonder what planet they are on.

I do take recommendation from readers and plan to try the French Beef in Thailand. Most likely I will be in the love it catagory as I have read about this operation in Sakon Nakorn. Sounds like they do o good job on items 1, 2 and 3. Now it is up to the purchusar to do 4.