White - What's Up With That?

Forethat

Over and over again I notice that a lot of people here appears to have a craving for white vehicles. Fortuner, Camry, Honda or Mitsubishi - it doesn't matter; every time someone asks for advice regarding a car the reply includes "you want white".

If you like white you should get one, but globally the number of white cars sold is more or less exactly the same as black and silver.

In Europe, black is by far the most popular colour. White is not even top five.

Am I missing something here? Is there an obvious reason for buying a white car ?

Edited by Forethat

maybe something to do with about 10% saving on fuel, you know white reflects the sun and black doesn't

Or white might be safer at night and you can save money by driving with your lights off

:)

Edited by Slaps

Black is beautiful........when it is clean, and that is for about 30 minutes after you drive it out of the car wash shop :)

Seriously, for LOS white or silver makes a lot of practical sense, doesn't show the dirt as much as a dark colored car and try leaving your black car in the sun for an hour, you will see why we go for white.

White started becoming "vogue" in Thailand back in 2007 with the release of some special edition models in the color, and has been slowly gaining popularity since..

If you don't like it, just wait for the next color fad - pinks and reds!

The 2010 VIOS minor change has recently been released with "Blackish Red Mica" as the launch color (which looks more pink'ish in the promo material BTW), and rumour has it that Ford will be using "Hot Magenta" as the launch color for the new Fiesta.

Black is beautiful........when it is clean, and that is for about 30 minutes after you drive it out of the car wash shop :)

Seriously, for LOS white or silver makes a lot of practical sense, doesn't show the dirt as much as a dark colored car and try leaving your black car in the sun for an hour, you will see why we go for white.

Couple of really good reasons right there.

White started becoming "vogue" in Thailand back in 2007 with the release of some special edition models in the color, and has been slowly gaining popularity since..

If you don't like it, just wait for the next color fad - pinks and reds!

The 2010 VIOS minor change has recently been released with "Blackish Red Mica" as the launch color (which looks more pink'ish in the promo material BTW), and rumour has it that Ford will be using "Hot Magenta" as the launch color for the new Fiesta.

I d say it started vogue in 2006 with New Camry pearl white, Yaris white with spoilerkit and Vigo was made white special edition 4x4 auto 4 door. Thats Toyota. I bought both white yaris and white pearl camry this year.

Jazz was initially promoted in only 2 colors, white and red

When it comes to climate adapt, white and silver are the only colors I consider in LOS. dust, and heat from sunshine

Not sure what the exact stats are but I think white is a great colour, especially in warmer climates. In Australia white is very popular. In Thailand I don't see so many white cars. Silver and greys seem to be more prevelant. Some cars do look good in black, but man it's hot and hard to keep clean.

As far as car colour fashion goes, white is the new black, which is the reason Thais are clamouring for 'exclusive' white cars.

Precisely!

White pearl/mica is the new black - marketed as "prestige" color, while regular white is the new red - used to market "sporty" variants.

From a more global POV, blue is gaining popularity to market "green" (read environmentally friendly) cars, while green/orange/pink (all in mica finishes) are the colors used to attract the youth market, and matt finishes are the new supercar standard..

Probably a face/status thing also as white cars cost more, at least on the camrys and accords.

Yes, you do pay a little more for white pearl/mica on the Camry, Accord and the Pajero Sport, however it's the same price as other options on the Teana, and regular white is actually a little cheaper than the other standard colors on some models.

whites a great colour maintance wise. :D

is white a colour?

even as i was typing it i knew someone would pick up this ball and run with it :)

congrads, you get knob of the post award. :D

for the purpose of buying a car, yes, white is a colour, when you order, the sales person says, what colour do you want? You don't reply, "I dont want any colour" :D

for the purpose of buying a car, yes, white is a colour, when you order, the sales person says, what colour do you want? You don't reply, "I dont want any colour" :)

Technically speaking, if you order a car without color you've just ordered a black one.

for the purpose of buying a car, yes, white is a colour, when you order, the sales person says, what colour do you want? You don't reply, "I dont want any colour" :)

Technically speaking, if you order a car without color you've just ordered a black one.

Don't know whats sillier, replying to this or the blood thread cos that's never gona happen

but I think Technically speaking, if you order a car without color you've just ordered one with only primer

:D

Don't know whats sillier, replying to this or the blood thread cos that's never gona happen

but I think Technically speaking, if you order a car without color you've just ordered one with only primer

What is the colour of the primer??

Primer gray (flat), perfect for overhere!

What is the colour of the primer??

Gray or red normally depending on what colour you top coat is going to be, so what do you fancy?

No, any substans or material that doesn't have a color is black. (technically speaking, black is by definition the absence of color (and therefore not a color) (colormatters).

So, technically speaking, if you order a car without color you should get a black one. However, since all material reflects some light, what is percieved as black isn't really black.

The result is that, techically speaking, if you order a black car you dont actually get a black one.

White, on the other hand, is a mix of all existing colors (and is therefore a color) (colormatters)

And, paint, is not a color, but any liquid, liquifiable, or mastic composition which after application to a substrate in a thin layer is converted to an opaque solid film. (wikipedia)

Edited by Forethat

No, any substans or material that doesn't have a color is black. (technically speaking, black is by definition the absence of color (and therefore not a color) (colormatters).

White, on the other hand, is a mix of all existing colors (and is therefore a color) (colormatters)

And, paint, is not a color, but any liquid, liquifiable, or mastic composition which after application to a substrate in a thin layer is converted to an opaque solid film. (wikipedia)

I knew I should have gone for blood.. :D

Well done, But my response was to..(if you order a car without color you've just ordered a black one)

Meaning they would not deliver one without paint on it, It would go rusty wouldn't it?

Hence the primer, any colour you like if you want But never Black

I can sing a rainbow

I knew I should have gone for blood.. :)

Well done, But my response was to..(if you order a car without color you've just ordered a black one)

Meaning they would not deliver one without paint on it, It would go rusty wouldn't it?

Hence the primer, any colour you like if you want But never Black

I can sing a rainbow

Maybe, this isn't black and white, there's a huge grey area surrounding this topic.