Beware Of Being Shortchanged

brahmburgers

Truly a heartwarming end to a difficult thread....merchantilism at its finest :)

Buy that new coffee table book about Chiang Rai- and count your change.

I'll weigh in here with one little comment.

Whenever I offer other than exact, or close to exact change, and there is a 500 or 1000 B bill involved, I clearly state "nung phan baht" or the like, with full eye contact. Never been ripped off.

Once, at a Lemon Green petrol I had a most artful young man count my change for a purchase of ~80 B; a 1000 bill was tendered.

He made a big show of counting the change not once, but several times. I took it, and then in front of him, and 2 other attendants proceeded to count it out slooooowly. 100 B short change. I just laughed at him, and put out my hand. He put a 100 in my palm instantly. I didn't complain about him to the manager, but I noticed shortly thereafter that he was no longer employed there. :D

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truly a heartwarming end to a difficult thread....merchantilism at its finest :)

Buy that new coffee table book about Chiang Rai- and count your change.

I'll weigh in here with one little comment.

Whenever I offer other than exact, or close to exact change, and there is a 500 or 1000 B bill involved, I clearly state "nung phan baht" or the like, with full eye contact. Never been ripped off.

Once, at a Lemon Green petrol I had a most artful young man count my change for a purchase of ~80 B; a 1000 bill was tendered.

He made a big show of counting the change not once, but several times. I took it, and then in front of him, and 2 other attendants proceeded to count it out slooooowly. 100 B short change. I just laughed at him, and put out my hand. He put a 100 in my palm instantly. I didn't complain about him to the manager, but I noticed shortly thereafter that he was no longer employed there. :D

I had to PM him and ask what kind of business he had. There are several ads on the CM page and I didn't know which one was his. So, it is a book-store.

But back to the topic. I don't speak Thai. That's my fault. Your sense of humor is well-known even to us newbies. Are you setting me up? Does "nung phan baht" really mean "keep the change", and you are just dying to see my post here when I use that phrase for the first time?

I had better ask the wife.

I have a sense of humor, too.

Edited by kandahar

Naw, not funnin' you, kandahar.

Nung phan baht just means one thousand baht, no more, no less.

I was really having more fun with UG, who I know personally.

Great guy, and yes he's a sponsor, and yes he owns several bookshops here in Chiang Mai.

BTW, I was last in Kandahar in 1971.

I think it has changed since then, no? :)

Naw, not funnin' you, kandahar.

Nung phan baht just means one thousand baht, no more, no less.

I was really having more fun with UG, who I know personally.

Great guy, and yes he's a sponsor, and yes he owns several bookshops here in Chiang Mai.

BTW, I was last in Kandahar in 1971.

I think it has changed since then, no? :)

1971, huh? Yeah. I think you might find things a little different there now.

But back to the funnin'- you should have been. That would be a GREAT one! It would have still been funny even if I found out from the wife that it was a joke before I tried it.