Nana 1975

Lammbock

^ is that the landmark in that second photo ?

Looks like the Landmark, with the enterance to soi 15 on the rh side just above the tuk tuk where the red car is pulling out.

First photo is the Bangkok bank building, was the bank open then?

Miama hotel LOL is that dump still going or did it go the way of the Crown up on soi 29?

Bangkok Bank building. That Bangkok bank was open when I first arrived in August 1967. Our company office, Philco-Ford, had offices on the 2nd floor.

Miami Hotel is still open. Also the Crown Hotel on Soi 29 is still open.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, very nice too.

Maybe you could tell us where are this photos was taken, please?????

Thought I would make it a guessing game. :) It was a long time ago - believe the top one is on Petchburi which was the main entertainment avenue at the time. The 2nd one shows the Manhattan hotel in the background, the 3rd also Petchburi and the last is the Giant Swing.

I thought the Topper Club was on Sukhumvit on the 2nd floor of the Nai Lert building, betreen Soi 3 & 5? Nice pics.

A couple of more recent ones on Sukumvit (I believe, as it is the label I put on it) in 1989. These are all scans from slides so quality is not great.

post-566-1269185428_thumb.jpg

post-566-1269185469_thumb.jpg

Tywais, great pic's but tell me how do you scan them from slides? I have hundreds of old slides I would like to turn in to photo's. Thanks for any info.

The Topper Club was still around when I first lived here 1980-1984. I remember they have pics of when Bob Hope visited or did his act there. I think that was in Ploenchit area? Anyone remember the Sani Chateau in Gaysorn and Mario's Pizza?

The thing I remember most about the Sani Chateau, apart from the late closing, was the table that seemed to be reserved for an older farang woman every night. She used to entice the shoe shine urchins under the tablecloth with lavish tips. I could never see what they did under there but they used to emerge, tip in hand, with disgusted looks on their faces and trying to clean out their mouths.

These are a few I took in 1968-1969 while stationed here.

post-566-1269183602_thumb.jpg

post-566-1269183789_thumb.jpg

Is the first photo the early stages of construction on the Chokchai Building? I think it and the Dusit Thani were the first of the tall buildings.

If I remember correctly, in the second picture the old British Dispensary was two doors down from the Copacabana Club on the left. This company has now grown into the BNH hospital. I hope you were not there for the same reason as my all too frequent visits. Dr Paddy Dickson used to claim he could identify the girl's badge number from the Copa when viewing the recently painfully extracted sample through the microscope.

Thanks for sharing.

I'm amazed at how open and airy Suk looks w/o the BTS overhead. Reminds me a lot of the main boulevards in a lot of other big cities. Michigan Ave. in Chicago, Calle Gran Via in Madrid, many others.

Yes i thought the same,really seems to be cleaner back then,you can just get that feeling from these wonderful pictures.

People pollution at its worst nowadays,On a recent visit to Vientiane reminds me a little of how Bangkok used to be.

Thanks for the pics and the link to that great website,cheers :)

Tywais, great pic's but tell me how do you scan them from slides? I have hundreds of old slides I would like to turn in to photo's. Thanks for any info.

I bought an Epson Perfection V300 scanner that does a brilliant job up to the limits of the quality of the slide. Even then, it can be set to "fix" slides automatically.

Great pics, wow I would have loved to been able to experience that as a young adult back then. Heh but since I was just Born in 1975 I guess no such luck :D

Thanks for posting :)

I was born 1984 but I would have prefer if i was borne in the year of 1947 :D

Just an idea:

Maybe a Mod could pin this thread and rename the Title into: "Thailand in the Old Days" or something like that????

And the sub title change from "3 pics for u" to something different. Any suggestion here welcome! :D

I remember my dad visit Pattaya and Bangkok in 1978 . He took some great pictures of the daily life there and showed us back home.

But my mom never understood why there were so many beautiful girls in them.... :)

Have you got anymore photos you could post? Would love to see more!!!

I will have to take a further look. Have more of Pattaya 1968 & 1989 but don't want to go off topic unless the OP has no problems with that. Will have to dig up the old topic that has Pattaya pics of the past and put a link here.

Have you got anymore photos you could post? Would love to see more!!!

unless the OP has no problems with that. Will have to dig up the old topic that has Pattaya pics of the past and put a link here.

Feel Free to post any pics of Thailand doing "the old days"

This is practically what i want. That this thread gets pinned and everybody share old pics of todays crowded places!

Thanks to everyone here!

Edit 4 good/

It would be nice to get a picture here of a former Massage House! :)

Edited by Lammbock

A few more. If I get the location/ID wrong I'm sure someone will correct me. :) These are not as interesting though.

post-566-1269255517_thumb.jpg

1969 - Lumpini? Park

post-566-1269255584_thumb.jpg

1969 - Wot Po?

post-566-1269255619_thumb.jpg

1968 - Top of the steps of Wat Arun (Temple of Dawn)

post-566-1269255694_thumb.jpg

1989 - Bangkok river

Great pics, wow I would have loved to been able to experience that as a young adult back then. Heh but since I was just Born in 1975 I guess no such luck :D

Thanks for posting :D

I was born 1984 but I would have prefer if i was borne in the year of 1947 :D

Just an idea:

Maybe a Mod could pin this thread and rename the Title into: "Thailand in the Old Days" or something like that????

And the sub title change from "3 pics for u" to something different. Any suggestion here welcome! :D

Hey! Maybe we can work a trade? I was born 1944 - would that work? :)

My first trip to Bangkok was in 1963 at the tender age of 19. I truly wish I had been more a tourist instead of a GI. I used the electric trolleys back then - they were gone when I came back two years later.

Thanks to the posters for the pictures. I really enjoy the old photo's. Polaroid was the latest thing in 1963 and all the pictures I took have deteriorated over the years - another good idea gone bad. A pin of the "old days" is a good idea.

A good friend of mine is the photographer and copyright holder of the images in the OP. I published the images a few years ago on my now defunct website and now they keep on popping up all over the place :) I have informed him about this post, so maybe he will be along later to add a comment. He might even take the time to upload some more images, I know that he has many from that era.