BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Lammbock

Nana 1975

^ is that the landmark in that second photo ?

Looks like the Landmark, with the enterance to soi 15 on the rh side just above the tuk tuk where the red car is pulling out.

First photo is the Bangkok bank building, was the bank open then?

Miama hotel LOL is that dump still going or did it go the way of the Crown up on soi 29?

Bangkok Bank building. That Bangkok bank was open when I first arrived in August 1967. Our company office, Philco-Ford, had offices on the 2nd floor.

Miami Hotel is still open. Also the Crown Hotel on Soi 29 is still open.

Wow, very nice too.

Maybe you could tell us where are this photos was taken, please?????

Thought I would make it a guessing game. :) It was a long time ago - believe the top one is on Petchburi which was the main entertainment avenue at the time. The 2nd one shows the Manhattan hotel in the background, the 3rd also Petchburi and the last is the Giant Swing.

I thought the Topper Club was on Sukhumvit on the 2nd floor of the Nai Lert building, betreen Soi 3 & 5? Nice pics.

Great thread.  More photos would be appreciated!  :)

A couple of more recent ones on Sukumvit (I believe, as it is the label I put on it) in 1989. These are all scans from slides so quality is not great.

post-566-1269185428_thumb.jpg

post-566-1269185469_thumb.jpg

Tywais, great pic's but tell me how do you scan them from slides? I have hundreds of old slides I would like to turn in to photo's. Thanks for any info.

The Topper Club was still around when I first lived here 1980-1984. I remember they have pics of when Bob Hope visited or did his act there. I think that was in Ploenchit area? Anyone remember the Sani Chateau in Gaysorn and Mario's Pizza?

The thing I remember most about the Sani Chateau, apart from the late closing, was the table that seemed to be reserved for an older farang woman every night. She used to entice the shoe shine urchins under the tablecloth with lavish tips. I could never see what they did under there but they used to emerge, tip in hand, with disgusted looks on their faces and trying to clean out their mouths.

These are brilliant mate! Get some more up! Amazing to see what BKK used to be like.

These are a few I took in 1968-1969 while stationed here.

post-566-1269183602_thumb.jpg

post-566-1269183789_thumb.jpg

Is the first photo the early stages of construction on the Chokchai Building? I think it and the Dusit Thani were the first of the tall buildings.

If I remember correctly, in the second picture the old British Dispensary was two doors down from the Copacabana Club on the left. This company has now grown into the BNH hospital. I hope you were not there for the same reason as my all too frequent visits. Dr Paddy Dickson used to claim he could identify the girl's badge number from the Copa when viewing the recently painfully extracted sample through the microscope.

Thanks for sharing.

I'm amazed at how open and airy Suk looks w/o the BTS overhead. Reminds me a lot of the main boulevards in a lot of other big cities. Michigan Ave. in Chicago, Calle Gran Via in Madrid, many others.

Yes i thought the same,really seems to be cleaner back then,you can just get that feeling from these wonderful pictures.

People pollution at its worst nowadays,On a recent visit to Vientiane reminds me a little of how Bangkok used to be.

Thanks for the pics and the link to that great website,cheers :)

Wow.  Just goes to show how much the Thais have allowed Bangkok (and probably all of Thailand) to deteriorate over the years.

and that Pattaya beach photo...

Tywais, great pic's but tell me how do you scan them from slides? I have hundreds of old slides I would like to turn in to photo's. Thanks for any info.

I bought an Epson Perfection V300 scanner that does a brilliant job up to the limits of the quality of the slide. Even then, it can be set to "fix" slides automatically.

Scary the changes thathave taken place in the last forty years.

Great pictures, love the black and white picture of the girls notice how much the body shapes have changed aka the introduction of fast food. Still love them though

Great pics, wow I would have loved to been able to experience that as a young adult back then. Heh but since I was just Born in 1975 I guess no such luck :D

Thanks for posting :)