BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Australian Teacher Held For Sex Abuse In Phuket

then not than

Questions to be asked:

"Why was he dismissed for?"

And than:

"Is that little boy - btw... 4 years old now... - the only one?

And than:

"Is the (smiling) accused the only one involved?"

and than... when the truth will be known, and if he is the culprit... I hope they'll keep him in one of their jails for a long long time...

Lets also remember that children in the UK start school as young as 4 years old. Are we suggesting that they won't retain anything taught to them, as they have no concept of time/date??

Ask the next kid near you about time and date now and you shall find out.

Lets make sure the guy is guilty as charged before you hang him high. Some of you characters sound like you're right out of the " Ox Bow Incident " at times.

Several Points to make

What kind of screening process do these guys get before landing a teaching job in this country?

The people i know who have gone into this industry tell me they had no screening at all, they were very surprised.

Unfortunately not all schools do it the same way. I know that PIA, like British and many other international schools receive the teaching credentials, a Thai police report and a police report form the teacher's home county for all new teachers.

He's been arrested. He's denied the charges. He's not been proven guilty.

However, If it's true, absolutely revolting.

What is it about people in positions of trust and kids - clergy, teachers etc.

It's about time that more thorough back-ground checks were made by the appropriate authorities, but especially by these schools that families entrust their children to. And you have to ask yourself - would you entrust your toddlers to a 51 year old man working in a day school - a kindergarden? That would set off an alarm bell immediately in my opinion. This guy is going to teach my toddler nursery rhymes?! I'm sorry, that doesn't compute well.

The school, I hope, is also held responsible if this case is proven in a court of law. It will be a lesson that all schools should be doing more thorough back-ground checks on people they employ to 'teach' children - regardless of their age.

This Teacher was not a teacher for this age group. He was a middle school teacher (think 10-12 yr olds)

Agreed the school needs some investigation into how the teacher had access to the child.

I don't know but the majority of those that would "abuse" are not going to be caught by background checks (sorry to say). I would prefer all those that go after kids (especially teachers, since they are suppose to be held to a higher standard) - be kept in Thai prisons, not transferred back to their home country to serve the sentence.

Cacruden Brings up a very good point Background checks do not uncover every thing, especially if it's a first time.

Lets all remember that Michael Jackson was accused. Found innocent. Then the father of the "victim" kills himslef. The "victim" goes on to say that "he's not sure if anything ever really happened or not, he was listening to what his parents said".

The boy may have mentioned that he was in the toilet and the teacher came in and used the toilet too. Since the teacher had already been dismissed the child was probably asked questions that he didin't fully understand and the ramifications of his answers.

BUT AS A TEACHER!!. I protect myself and all teachers should do the same. I do not use restrooms that students are allowed to use. I will walk the 150 meters to where the teachers restroom is AND I never never never allow myself to be left alone in a room with a student with a student there must be 2 or more students. If I need a student to come to my room and talk with me after school, I instruct them to bring a friend with him/her. Better safe, than falsely accused.

:) Well for a start this guy does not look like an Australian. As the Brits discovered it is easy to have your monica changed to an Anglo Saxon name. Whatsa the bet ???

Oh and for clarification he didnt teach the infants. He taught primary in a different school building.

thaifry, you're the mystery man. I think you can tell us more. C'mon, we're all ears.

The infants toilets at PIA are tiny children toilets that could not be used by an adult. The infants are always accompanied by a teacher and usually go to the toilet in groups. If a child needs to go during class, a teacher always accompanies them. And this teacher was in a different building with nothing to do with the infant classes.

This one has a very bad smell. He may or may not be guilty, but if he ends up with a long jail term based on the information from the 4 year old boy and noting else, I don't believe this offence is the real reason. As many have stated above: there must be much more to this case; either more evidence or something completely different, like money.

It's important also to remember that children will often tell adults what they expect the adult would like to hear. There was a big case in Norway some 20 years ago, the "Bjugn Incident", where many people, particularly teachers and others children knew about, were sent to jail for child abuse based on testimonies from children. Later, it was dicovered that the testimonies mostly were based on what therapists and police had asked if the children could confirm. The whole thing boiled down to nothing, but many people's lives were destroyed, and life in the little community in Bjugn was changed forever.

Edited by zakk9

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? If he did it then nothing would be too horrible to do to him but so far we don't know!

Your absolutely correct!At least someone thinks in here.

wow ohh wow...

If he's guilty I hope they fry him,.... But this seems suspect.

My cynical side finds this whole thing a little odd…

He is let go in DEC, then 2.5 months later accused of this. I really wonder if there is more to this story like a contract fight. I hope that he really is guilty and it’s not him being falsely accused to settle a score or something sinister as such.

The smirk on his face is strange, guilty or falsely accused, you would think he would be in a state of panic not smirking?

The "smirk" on his face is from a previous photo, probably a work permit or school id. are you that naive??

The Original Posting on the Phuket Gazette has been removed off their web site

I think that they might have been a little to giving with details as regarding the case.

I'm not saying it's bad journalism but i'm saying some privacy boundaries have been crossed for both parties involved.

The infants toilets at PIA are tiny children toilets that could not be used by an adult. The infants are always accompanied by a teacher and usually go to the toilet in groups. If a child needs to go during class, a teacher always accompanies them. And this teacher was in a different building with nothing to do with the infant classes.

more ... more, you seem to know more ... pleeeeease

The "smirk" on his face is from a previous photo, probably a work permit or school id. are you that naive??

Dude, i don't know about you but my WP photo didn't involve a height meter behind me and me holding a sign that had my name and DOB on it.