Us Visa Situation For Thai Gf

Hi guys. I've been reading some of the threads here the past few weeks and gotten some great insight and info. Thanks for your generosity with advice and suggestions. I’d like to get some opinions on my own situation.

I’m a US citizen who used to live and work in Thailand. I’m now in the US working. My Thai GF still lives and works in BKK, and I’ve visited her often for the past few years. Now she will be applying for a non-immigrant tourist visa to visit me and my folks here in the US later this year. We do currently plan to get married but not for another year or so. What do you think is her likelihood of getting a visa?

1. She is a mid-level government official with the Ministry of Education, and has been an official for almost 12 years. She has an “official’s passport” in addition to a normal one (she says she heard that the official’s passport and her status as a govt official will help her, though we have no idea if this is true or just some “urban myth”).

2. Her boss is in the process of writing a letter for her to support her visa application process (but I have no idea what will be in it).

3. She has a master’s degree from Chula.

4. She owns a car but has paid it off.

5. She and her dad are both the legal owners of the condo she lives in in BKK (though only her dad pays the bills).

6. She makes about 20k baht a month. She doesn’t have a whole lot of money in the bank, but her parents are going to basically give her a lot of money to put in her account temporarily.

7. She’s been abroad several times to other Asian nations, but she has never been to the west.

8. I’ve also written a “letter of support” for her basically stating that she plans to come and visit me, and then return to Thailand, and stated my home address and all the usual language (but I have no idea if this is even helpful or not).

I could go on but it seems like this is most of the relevant information. What do you guys think? Thank you in advance.

Sounds pretty close to mine .... They just want to make sure she comes back is all. The most important thing is really the job and roots to Thailand as in the condo. It pretty much depends if the interviewer believes she will come back is all. Just go for it. Having the other visa stamps will help a lot to.

Did the other Asian countries she went to require visas? (i.e. japan?) What's the age difference between you guys? I think she he has a very good chance, especially considering the similar success thread now up on this forum, and my own experience a few months ago where my jobless, uneducated gf got a 10 year tourist visa no problem. I think thaivisa sometimes makes the process seem harder than it actually is. :)

Thanks for the positive replies guys. It makes me feel a little better. I'm actually quite worried about this.

One other question - how up front should she be about the purpose of her visit being to visit me? I realize its key that she convinces the consulate officer that she intends to return to Thailand (which she does) of course. Just wondering to what extent they will worry that she will stay in the states after arriving.

Thanks for the positive replies guys. It makes me feel a little better. I'm actually quite worried about this.

One other question - how up front should she be about the purpose of her visit being to visit me? I realize its key that she convinces the consulate officer that she intends to return to Thailand (which she does) of course. Just wondering to what extent they will worry that she will stay in the states after arriving.

Some members will tell you that this is NOT a good idea. my wife got her 10 year tourist visa largely being married to me plus I live here. Member "svenn" GF was able to get a 10 year visa, but not sure what reason was given for the visit. You might want to think about sending him a PM.

The important thing is for her to be honest, and not try to deceit even just a little, since they (Conoff) interview everyday and have a 'feel" when a person is not being totally up front. the last thing you want to see happen is for your GF to blow her chances of ever stepping foot into the US.

There is nothing wrong with saying that she wants to tour the US, since, this is what a tourist visa is intended for. Stating the reason solely on "visiting my BF" may send up "red flags". I am sure other members will be around with more sound advice.

Edited by mizzi39

Some members will tell you that this is NOT a good idea. my wife got her 10 year tourist visa largely being married to me plus I live here. Member "svenn" GF was able to get a 10 year visa, but not sure what reason was given for the visit. You might want to think about sending him a PM.

I just wrote on the application that she wanted to visit me after my graduation and tour around a bit. I honestly dont think they're that worried about what you state as the purpose. My gf was able to skirt around a lot of the hurdles like having a job (she's unemployed), being educated (never finished junior school), or money in the bank (we had 60k baht i believe), AND the damning fact I lived permanently in the U.S. simply because, I believe, she had such an extensive travel record to other asian and farang countries requiring visas. plus we'd been together 3 years and were the same age. Thus I always try to tell people that a travel record can save an otherwise failing application. Obviously no one knows what really changes the mind of the consular officers, but it's my opinion that that was it. Honestly from what my gf says, the lady reviewing her application quickly scanned over it, asked her if she really loved me and remarked we were the same age, and said she'd get the visa soon with a smile. It took like 3 minutes. Could have been just blind luck i guess?

PM me for more details if you want, I'm glad to share, especially since Thaivisa put me in a pessimistic mood too before we applied

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, I just wanted to report back the results of my GF's visa interview - She got it! She had originally had her interview planned for mid-May. Well, the unrest threw a wrench into that appointment. She received subsequent emails from the US embassy canceling her interviews twice, before it was finally rescheduled for today.

Her interview was scheduled for 1pm, but she had to wait until about 3:30 pm for the actual interview. She said the place was packed. She had requested her interview be in Thai, but the interviewee was an American woman who (according to my GF) was not totally fluent in Thai. The interviewer looked over 2 documents mainly, the first being the letter from her employer, and the second being the one I wrote for her.

She said that the main questions asked were:

1) What was the purpose of her trip?

2) Where did she plan to go? (specifically, what EXACT places did she intend to visit)

3) What is the nature of her relationship with me?

Seems that the interviewer really wanted to get at the bottom of our relationship, and asked my GF what *I* did and if *I* had a gf! My gf said she was surprised because many of the questions were about me, and NOT her. Anyway, the whole thing was over in about 5 minutes.

Thanks all for the earlier insight.

Hey guys, I just wanted to report back the results of my GF's visa interview - She got it! She had originally had her interview planned for mid-May. Well, the unrest threw a wrench into that appointment. She received subsequent emails from the US embassy canceling her interviews twice, before it was finally rescheduled for today.

Her interview was scheduled for 1pm, but she had to wait until about 3:30 pm for the actual interview. She said the place was packed. She had requested her interview be in Thai, but the interviewee was an American woman who (according to my GF) was not totally fluent in Thai. The interviewer looked over 2 documents mainly, the first being the letter from her employer, and the second being the one I wrote for her.

She said that the main questions asked were:

1) What was the purpose of her trip?

2) Where did she plan to go? (specifically, what EXACT places did she intend to visit)

3) What is the nature of her relationship with me?

Seems that the interviewer really wanted to get at the bottom of our relationship, and asked my GF what *I* did and if *I* had a gf! My gf said she was surprised because many of the questions were about me, and NOT her. Anyway, the whole thing was over in about 5 minutes.

Thanks all for the earlier insight.

Just curious, how long a visa validity period did she get? Short term or the full 10-year visa?

Mac

good job duran! :)

three-month turnover from first asking about the process to getting the visa is very enviable- I waited 2 years before actually having my gf apply, since I was so concerned about making sure she'd look positive enough for a success.

I assume she got a 10-year visa?

yeah, my wife has been studying this US visa process for a while and she knew you'd get it due to your gf's education and work staus. Also she said that svenn's husband got his because he is a ladyboy and wont have kids and such in the USA. We will be trying for ours soon with high hopes. cheers

TMac, Svenn - she did indeed get the 10 year visa.

Duran

Well, good, she'll save the Consulate work for the next 10 years with that visa.

My now wife had one shot visas on her first two trips some years back, then since she demonstrated that she returned, got a 10-year one.

Mac

:D

Taking a quick look at her qualifications, and just off the top of my head, I would say if there ever was a person more likely to get a visa, I don't know who it would be.

The things they will like are:

Evidence of a permanent government job and time working in that job in Thailand.

Her education level.

She own's property in Thailand. (i.e. she's listed as legal owner irregardless of who pays the actual bills)

Evidence of other travel/return to Thailand in Asian countries.

Your verification letter (your job status and financial status make a big difference)

For those reasons I would assume she has a very good chance of getting a visa.

:D

P.S. Even if she did stay in the U.S., marry you and become a citizen...I'm just offering an hypothetical situation...she would be the kind of well educated applicant they would want. (Not even Arizona would disqualify her as a resident...just a satirical dig at Arizona and it's immigration laws for mexican-americans).

:)

Edited by IMA_FARANG