Residence visa? how

I am married to a Thai, have a seven year old son, a house and farmland in Thailand.

I work abroard in the oil industry and spend a lot time away from Thailand.

My question is, how can I apply for a residence visa. I have a non imigrant O visa at present, and have heard that if I have this visa for six years, I can then apply for residency.

Anyone know if this is true, or if there is another way to get a residents visa other than on retirement?

Fester,

In answer, this year will be the first year that I go back home with a non imigrant O visa. Up till now I have usually gone back on a tourist visa as I have never been back for more than a couple of weeks at a time.

So I take it that I will need to get the extensions on the original visa, and that I will need to get exit permits every time that I leave. Then after three years I should be able to apply for residency.

Is this correct?

Regards,

mjcl

Stick to a yearly retirment, support visa, residence permits have several pitfalls - any decent lawyer will explain.

Yes, please tell about these pitfalls as I am not going to be retiring for several more years yet. Also what is a 'support visa'?

• 2 months later...