One Armed Guy

The Dan Sai Kid

Does anyone know if the psycho one-armed guy still live in Changers? He jumped out at me when I was on my bike one night. I found out the next day was that he is a full-time resident and has a wee bit of a drinking problem.

I've noticed a few posts saying that they found some of the ex-pat community in Chiang Mai pretty strange, but in 3 years I never experienced much of that - except the experience above.

Grant

Does anyone know if the psycho one-armed guy still live in Changers?  He jumped out at me when I was on my bike one night.  I found out the next day was that he is a full-time resident and has a wee bit of a drinking problem.

I've noticed a few posts saying that they found some of the ex-pat community in Chiang Mai pretty strange, but in 3 years I never experienced much of that - except the experience above.

Grant

are you talking about a farang guy? If so, yeah I know him. Got a bit of a mental problem but only when drinking. He's got a wife and kid there also. He tried to kill himself years back in Germany by throwing himself in front of a train. Obviously didn't work, so yeah, he's got some issues. Best not to get into a discussion with him while he's on the piss as he can get quite violent and really doesn't care what happens to you or him. On the other hand, you could kick his a5s but you would look pretty stupid beating on a one armed bandit. There's a lot of people like that in Chiang Mai and for some reason, I just so happen to know most of them. He1l, I may one of them! Cheers :o

Does anyone know if the psycho one-armed guy still live in Changers?  He jumped out at me when I was on my bike one night.  I found out the next day was that he is a full-time resident and has a wee bit of a drinking problem.

Grant

are you talking about a farang guy? If so, yeah I know him. Got a bit of a mental problem but only when drinking. He's got a wife and kid there also. He tried to kill himself years back in Germany by throwing himself in front of a train. Obviously didn't work, so yeah, he's got some issues. Best not to get into a discussion with him while he's on the piss as he can get quite violent and really doesn't care what happens to you or him. On the other hand, you could kick his a5s but you would look pretty stupid beating on a one armed bandit. There's a lot of people like that in Chiang Mai and for some reason, I just so happen to know most of them. He1l, I may one of them! Cheers :D

Yeah, he was a farang - I'm moving back at the end of the year - so he'd better watch out! :o

Don't want to sound sanctimonious but here goes...

It's unfair to attack a particular individual when he doesn't have the right to reply. No doubt someone will tell him in due time that he's been slagged off on this forum.

Speaking of which...(oh where this thread could go...)

Is the "pink lady" still around? The one who was always wandering up and down the superhighway in the pink dress? She was sort of a legend--everyone seemed to have some story about what she was up to...

Is the "pink lady" still around?

Well she was at the weekend, pink dress white socks.

Might make it easier for her when the road works are completed.

Sounds like Judy, and she's been walking around town longer than I've been here. I figure she's one of the fittest nuts around here. I'm glad she's still around...

Or are you talking about the katoey in fancy dress and parasol around downtown?

There was another old guy, not a nut, who used to ride around all day, and often late into the night, on an old bike with a basket on the back selling small cakes, cookies, and banana bread. He was most recognizable by his straw farmers hat. He was one of the first Thai people I met in CM when I was living at Nat GH on Prapoklao rd. One of the nicest, kindest Thais I've ever met, and certainly among the hardest-working.

Haven't seen him around on his bike for at least 2 years now. He was in his late sixties, so maybe he's retired. Whenever I saw him, I'd always stop him for a chat. He was a reminder to me of the best of Thailand, and one of the reasons I call CM home.

Has anyone seen him lately?

Edited by Ajarn

A Thai told me the pink lady lost a child and then lost the plot??

Anyone seen the fat old Budda-looking tramp who walks around the 2-way stretch of changklan Rd.? He'as always got a poysian stick up his nose!!

A Thai told me the pink lady lost a child and then lost the plot??

Anyone seen the fat old Budda-looking tramp who walks around the 2-way stretch of changklan Rd.? He'as always got a poysian stick up his nose!!

I haven't seen him in about a year or so...I always called him "noseman" because he walked around with a filter that could have come from a lawnmower or something on a tube stuck up his nose. Likes to wear PCV pipe bracelets.

I also remeber the one-armed guy. He scared me for some reason even though he has only one arm; just that creepy, I guess.

And then there was the katoey who paraded up and down Moon Muang in matching color outfit and umbrella. You could almost set your watch by her arrival each evening.

Grant

Is that the guy Dr Richard Kimble was after?

Grant

Is that the guy Dr Richard Kimble was after?

No..they caught that guy in the States. This one arm guy is the brother of the notorious "Sum Dum Guy"

..........Anyone seen the fat old Budda-looking tramp who walks around the 2-way stretch of changklan Rd.? He'as always got a poysian stick up his nose!!

see him almost every day. he usually wears a robe type thing wrapped around him, but one day we saw him and it seemed as though he'd lost all his clothes. he was walking around with his shorts around his knees. kind of sad.... but this week he was walking up where the old sailom joy restaurant was and he had some newish clothes on. man does that guy stink. was buying somtam at the stall in front of the old department store on chang klan and he walked by. had to stifle a gag. don't seem to be many people sleeping on the streets here, so i wonder if he's got any family....

on another note, does anyone know the deal about the undercover cop who sells the Thai 5 baht ice cream at night in the old city? my neighbours, who've mostly lived here for years and years, say he started right after the Welsh girl was murdered at the Aree Guesthouse. I live around the corner from there and he walks by every night. They say he speaks excellent English - never spoken to him in English, but when my kids run out to buy ice cream from him and I speak to them in English, his eyes tell me that he's following the conversation. REally nice man. Long grey hair, big smile. And he knows EVERYONE's name in our area, and probably in all the other areas he sells ice cream.

^ Bizarrely enough, I do know the one legged farang guy zooming around on a rollerblade (assuming we are talking about the same person?). I have had a few conversations with him, we were staying in the same area once. Nice enough guy, do not know too much about him, except he will regularly take trips to places like Ban taawaii or other distant places on his "wheels"........

My understanding is that he is a fairly wealthy man, one day he just snapped. I was told he refuses any help from his family and lives as if he was homeless. When he is hungry he just walks into any restaurant, orders, eats and leaves without paying .. the owners call the family and they settle the bill. He is well known enough that everyone knows the drill.

/SM

..........Anyone seen the fat old Budda-looking tramp who walks around the 2-way stretch of changklan Rd.? He'as always got a poysian stick up his nose!!

see him almost every day.  he usually wears a robe type thing wrapped around him, but one day we saw him and it seemed as though he'd lost all his clothes.  he was walking around with his shorts around his knees.  kind of sad....  but this week he was walking up where the old sailom joy restaurant was and he had some newish clothes on.  man does that guy stink.  was buying somtam at the stall in front of the old department store on chang klan and he walked by.  had to stifle a gag.  don't seem to be many people sleeping on the streets here, so i wonder if he's got any family.... 

Is there something about the Chiang Mai area that attracts those missing a limb? There is my pal John, who I have not seen in years, an older guy with one arm who used to be a regular with the dinosaurs who comprised the breakfast club at the Stube. Seng, she who was voted nost beautiful at the ol' Karen Hut and whose sister married the crazy German now deported, married a guy with one arm, and John S., with a home above Chiang Rai has but one leg. All great guys with no known problems.

A note from my 'onimous undercover agent on the streets.

Beware the one armed man.............well, 2 of them, anyway!

I've counted 6 one armed men in Chiangmai over a period of 10-plus years, much of it (mis) spent on the bar scene.

Two Thais spring to mind, one sinister looking character with some English who approached an Irish bar owner many years ago, saying he had been paid to kill him. With no eddying around, the Irishman asked why he would openly admit this. The answer was simply that if the Irishman paid him more, he would leave him alone and leave town. The Irishman told him to leave town immediately - without pay - and I do not think he was seen again.

The other Thai is a sad, young-ish man, with a very bad dressing on what's left of one arm who goes around the bars begging at night.

Of the 4 one armed farangs I've met, 2 are indeed excellent pool players, one using a pool 'rest' held under one armpit, the other laying the cue across some 'grippy' cloth wrapped round his stump. I've never known either to be any problem whatever.

Two younger farangs can be total pains (quite literally) when drunk. One is the diminutive German aforementioned, friendly when sober but clearly looking for trouble when not. The other, American I think, with no warning or communication, suddenly hit a Thai woman in a Thapae Gate bar only a month ago and was immediately and professionally decked unconscious by a Thai waiter.

There's also a one legged Thai cyclist who runs part of the flower kid racket too, but he's another story..........

Judy the pink lady walking the supER looking for her lost child

One-arm crazy farang pool player, but there might be another 9

smelly, fat, mentholstick-up-nose tramp from a rich family

one-legged rollerblader

Just need a plot and I've got my first novel.

Any suggestions?

Judy the pink lady walking the supER looking for her lost child

One-arm crazy farang pool player, but there might be another 9

smelly, fat, mentholstick-up-nose tramp from a rich family

one-legged rollerblader

Just need a plot and I've got my first novel.

Any suggestions?

According to some, there are only a handful of basic stories and countless variations.

One is 'The Quest': someone searches for something (a person, understanding, a cheese Dorito)

Another is 'Overcoming the Odds': Noah's Ark etc

Choose one of those, stick in the Chiang Mai characters and, hey presto, Pixar will be buying the rights in roughly a week