Isaan Life Is Great

Rigger

I have heard a lot of people say negative things about rural Isaan not so much on this site but on other sites and in public. I was talking to one guy in Big C Khon Khen when out of the blue he comes out with all people that live in villages are stupid and anyone that listen to them are the same. I told him i live in a small village and he shut up real quick. I find rural Isaan great fresh food, nice people, no polution, no whining expats, except my mate John but he is a old pommy barsted so you got to expect that. I have lived in many places Phuket, Bangkok, Khon khen, and have to say Isaan is the best for me. If you go to rural Isaan and dont have a good time it proberly because of one of the following. Your not man anough for Isaan. Not orgnized. You wife is not looking after you and is no good. Your wifes faimly is no good

ISAAN I LOVE IT :o

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to agree with you on that one. I also live in a small village and will be moving to an even smaller one when I finish the house. I really enjoy it. I get to the big smoke every now and then but I really enjoy being back in the sticks where life is a bit slower and quieter.

Have to agree with you on that one.  I also live in  a small village and will be moving to an even smaller one when I finish the house.  I really enjoy it.  I get to the big smoke every now and then but I really enjoy being back in the sticks where life is a bit slower and quieter.

I think enjoying living in rural Isaan is "Up To You".

Before committing yourself to it longterm I think you must make several visits at different times of year to make sure it's what you like. Don't be forced by your GFs demands of it's here or nowhere.

I for one love it!!! :D

For me the two greatest things are....

the freedom that the kids have to just wander off and play. I'm from England where sadly that is just not possible anymore.

and the fact that my wife is surrounded by her family and with her mum. And of course we all know that a Thai girl and her mum should never be parted!!! :D

Mind you if your wife's/GF's family are not good people you may have BIG BIG problems. Luckily for me my in-laws are great and want nothing from me other than I keep my wife happy! :o

I think it's a wonderful place to live.

Yeah, Isaan is great....alot better than the north. Isaan people are friendlier, the food is better, the weather is better, even the foreigners who live there are better. All in all I'd say all you foreigners coming to Thaland should go see Isaan and forget the north...definitely not the north...definitely.....

I live in a small village but not in Issan, althought I dont really think it makes any differance, small village life is much the same all over Thailand. I love it here but its the sort of thing you either love or hate. A lot of people would find it difficult to adjust to the lack of amenities, shops, public transport ect

Just to add my tuppence, I have lived all over Thailand and think Isaan is the best, I love it. I live in central Khon Kaen, I don't like the village life, too isolated.

Why would anyone want to live in a village, unless their wife/gf was from one?

I have never visited the Issan myself but I plan to someday. I would like for my wife and I to spend some time traveling around the Mekong River area and some of the rural provinces. I have heard mixed stories regarding life in the Issan but that's to be expected anywhere. There are some advantages to life in those quieter areas as opposed to big, smoky Bangkok but there are also some disadvantages: lack of jobs and lack of good schools

Being a teacher, I would need to to find a decent school to work for if my wife and I lived up there. In addition to this I would want our kids to attend good schools (especially primary school). Big C, Makro and other stores like that are becomming more common so it's probably not too difficult to stock up on supplies here and there.

Hi Ho to Isaan and away......unicornrearmdclrd8ep.gif

I live in a small Isaan village and love it. And for "Neeranam", indeed if my wife wasn't from there, it definitely would not be the same and I wouldn't like it. No wife, I would probably live in Korat. :o

I have heard a lot of people say negative things about rural Isaan not so much on this site but on other sites and in public. I was talking to one guy in Big C Khon Khen when out of the blue he comes out with all people that live in villages are stupid and anyone that listen to them are the same. I told him i live in a small village and he shut up real quick. I find rural Isaan great fresh food, nice people, no polution, no whining expats, except my mate John but he is a old pommy barsted so you got to expect that. I have lived in many places Phuket, Bangkok, Khon khen, and have to say Isaan is the best for me. If you go to rural Isaan and dont have a good time it proberly because of one of the following. Your not man anough for Isaan. Not orgnized. You wife is not looking after you and is no good. Your wifes faimly is no good

ISAAN I LOVE IT :o

I honestly think you have been listening to people that have never been to Isaan. 90%+ of posters that live in Isaan, love Isaan. Basically I would say Isaan is for people that have done everything there is to do, and want something completely different. Somewhere nice and quiet with hoards of friendly people to retire to, or if you live in the big city, a coutry retreat an hours flying time, but a million miles away. Of course you're going to get Isaan knockers,but not very many of them. Of course the people are a little bit on the ' not so intelligent side' in Western terms of thinking,but if you went to the African equivelent, a mud hut in the middle of the jungle,how would you get on trying to start a conversation about computor science. Or in a little hick town in the backwoods of Kentucky where the only chance a young man has to have sex is with his sister or cousin,and talk about the politics of Europe. Even in America a lot of them have never heard of Europe. As the old adage goes 'You pays yer money,and take yer chances'

Well I've paid my money,took my chances and have never been happier in my life. ISAAN I love you.

I went to Khon Kaen about 7 years ago (the first girlfriend was from there) and I thought it was a great place to be. The people were very friendly, the food cheap and I felt very safe.

I have also contemplated the rural life, but cannot get over the fact that I would be living completely Thai, with no farangs around me to have a chat. Obviously many places rural have farangs living there, but the place where my wife comes from is completely Thai and I have never seen a foreigner.

Anyway hats off to you guys who can do it.

Been here 11 years, visited nearly everytown in LOS.

My best memories are in Isaan.

If ever you go to Sisaket, try and find the Sugar Brazil Bar.

Its a live music bar not a girlie bar. One of the best nights I have ever had in my life.

Nothing like it up north.

I have also contemplated the rural life, but cannot get over the fact that I would be living completely Thai, with no farangs around me to have a chat. Obviously many places rural have farangs living there, but the place where my wife comes from is completely Thai and I have never seen a foreigner.

I can handle staying in my wife's village (outside of Korat) in small doses but I would have a hard time living there permanently. That's why I opted for resort property that's still within reasonable driving distance for building a house. But I don't mind crashing there after chugging Chang with the in-laws! :o

I went to Khon Kaen about 7 years ago (the first girlfriend was from there) and I thought it was a great place to be. The people were very friendly, the food cheap and I felt very safe.

You would be very surprised to know the amount of Farangs that do live/visit more than 3 months a year, in Isaan. Surin province has about 3,000, the same estimate as Buriram. I would say on past experiences,talking to people and knowing Khon kaen a bit that there are between 8,000-10,000 Farangs residing part of the year in KK province. It has been said, that, in every village in every remote corner of Isaan,somone knows or has contact with a Farang.

I have never visited the Issan myself but I plan to someday. I would like for my wife and I to spend some time traveling around the Mekong River area and some of the rural provinces. I have heard mixed stories regarding life in the Issan but that's to be expected anywhere. There are some advantages to life in those quieter areas as opposed to big, smoky Bangkok but there are also some disadvantages: lack of jobs and lack of good schools

Being a teacher, I would need to to find a decent school to work for if my wife and I lived up there. In addition to this I would want our kids to attend good schools (especially primary school). Big C, Makro and other stores like that are becomming more common so it's probably not too difficult to stock up on supplies here and there.

It can be very difficult to settle in in Isarn if you don't know anyone. I have know couples from outside(Bangkok), Thai/farang who were rejected by the locals. Some of the people in Isarn do not regard themselves as Thai. My wife comes from Central Thailand, and if it weren't for her contacts in Isarn, it would be very hard and we probably wouldn't be here. Business would be impossible.

I know many teachers and could easily find you a great job in many places around Isarn. Sounds like you are looking for somewher like Khon Kaen in the heart of Isarn, the best place to live in Thailand, IMO. PM me if you would like more info. I think the best thing to do would be to work for one of the international ot bi-lingual schools and get your kids in there free, would save a fortune.

I have lived in Phuket for 20 years or so, and have been with my Isaan missus for eight years now. Am busy saving for my retirement. You need an aweful lot of money to retire in Phuket, as it is probably the most expensive place to live in the Kingdom. If for any reason my funds look like running out in Phuket, my plan would be to move somewhere cheaper, more than likely, a city in Isaan.

Have been to my wife's village (about an hour and a halfs drive from Khon Kaen) and have always been made to feel welcome. The people are very kind. The missus usually goes back once or twice a year and I am always invited by the family to come along. I find myself making excuses to stay in Phuket because after only a day in the village, I am completely numbed by boredom. There is absolutely nothing to do except read a book, or, get drunk.

I guess my question is (to the people that live in the villages), just how the h3ll do you fill your days? Sitting at a computer, surfing the net all day, is not my idea of having a good time.

Edited by Sir Burr

Have been to my wife's village (about an hour and a halfs drive from Khon Kaen) and have always been made to feel welcome. The people are very kind. The missus usually goes back once or twice a year and I am always invited by the family to come along. I find myself making excuses to stay in Phuket because after only a day in the village, I am completely numbed by boredom. There is absolutely nothing to do except read a book, or, get drunk.

I guess my question is (to the people that live in the villages), just how the h3ll do you fill your days? Sitting at a computer, surfing the net all day, is not my idea of having a good time.

Only half an hour to the BIG CITY :o Lots to do in Khon Kaen.

I have lived in Phuket for 20 years or so, and have been with my Isaan missus for eight years now. Am busy saving for my retirement. You need an aweful lot of money to retire in Phuket, as it is probably the most expensive place to live in the Kingdom. If for any reason my funds look like running out in Phuket, my plan would be to move somewhere cheaper, more than likely, a city in Isaan.

How do you pass your time in Phuket then? When I was in Phuket and Pattaya, THAT'S what I did all day. Get drunk. OK that was in my relative youth,but as I said in my previous post,Isaan is a wonderful place to come when you're fed up of everything else. Being with my wife is enough for me,wherever we are.

How do you pass your time in Phuket then? When I was in Phuket and Pattaya, THAT'S what I did all day. Get drunk. OK that was in my relative youth,but as I said in my previous post,Isaan is a wonderful place to come when you're fed up of everything else. Being with my wife is enough for me,wherever we are.

Fishing, swimming, hanging out on the beach, going to fitness club, cinemas, bowling, golf, bar-hopping, going to BBQs and parties. Having friends round for good conversations, shopping, wind-surfing, sailing, going to a spa, dining at different restaurants etc. etc.

I don't do all of the above, but, at least I have the choice.

So, what are the choices if you live in a village in Isaan?

Am really not trying to say one life-style is better than another. I am truly interested in how you fill your days, because if the money situation goes t1ts-up, I might have to live in the village. So far, nobody has answered the question.

I also like hanging out with the wife, but that is not the type of answer I'm looking for.

bar-hopping

I would imagine a lot of us on this forum did the bar hopping when we first arrived but it's not an attractive long term life style for me.Love the rural life now and enjoy waking up not feeling like death.

So, just what does the rural life consist of?

All of the things you mention we can do it all in Isaan. OK the beach is a resovoir, lake or river beach. I too miss the sea,but all I hear about the seas around Thailand is pollution. But the fishing is great. Some of the restaurants are really fantastic,there are plenty of fitness clubs, bowling is confined to the cities,but most Isaanites live within 60-100 km's to a decent size town. Cinema's are not usually in English,but then again how many cinema's in UK or USA are in Thai? There are all the shops. We have in little old Surin, Big C,Tesco & Makro. There are golf courses here. There's wind surfing,paragliding,sailing. There are European bars and eateries scattered all over,maybe just two or three to each town,but they are there.There's also miles and miles of green countryside, splattered with ruins of previous civilisations. There is nearly everything that you get in the city, you just have to look a little harder. I'm afraid that the way you are talking, you imagine Isaan to be akin to the darkest depths of Africa. Too some people it might be,but we very rarely get people moving BACK to the Big Mango or various Fun-Towns or Sin-cities.

Lampard10

Does this mean that you have to go to the nearest town or city to do most of these things?

I don't know where you live, but, in and around my missus's village, there is absolutely nothing to do. Went fishing once in a small lake close to the village, only caught these horrible cat-fish that weren't very big and put up no fight at all.

It seems to me that living in, or, very close to a city in Isaan is the way to go. Would you agree?

It seems to me that living in, or, very close to a city in Isaan is the way to go. Would you agree?

I would certainly agree. Don't stay too far from a major city - Udon, Khon Kaen, Korat. Near KK, there is the Ubon Ratana Reservoir, great for golf, the kids swimming, good food, views.

I spend a lot of time golfing, it can be done for 120 baht a round some places.

I like to escape to the farm, just 12 km from my house. There are lots of exciting things to do there like fishing, farming the veggies, watching the rice grow(I love the sound of it), jumping on a cross-country bike and exploring, learning the local language, reaading a book. I have to work and have other voluntary things to do. You need transport, IMO, and I love just touring about. I don't have UBC, but have a computer to stay in touch with the things that I feel are impoortant.

I need trips to bangkok oonce in a while to make me realise that I have got everything that I ever wanted where I am.

Isolation is dangerous for many people I know, and would be for myself. If you are a drinker, you can easily become a sad old drunk. There are plenty of expat bars in the larger towns, but I only go to them about once a month.

If I were retired, I could think of many manny things to occupy my time - museums, temples, meditating, exercise, reading, golf, fishing etc etc.

We live in Bangkok and the wife is central Thai but last week we had a 24 hour visit to a small city some 90km west of Khon Khen called Chumphae. During that time we had food the wife admits is better than she can cook (and she is a good cook) at about half the Bangkok price. Had breakfast of pork jok, coffee and Thai style donut for four and paid 90 baht (and it also was very good). In about two hours time noticed 6-8 other foreigners in town. Stayed at a very comfortable hotel for 500 baht, good beds, remote control air conditioner and cable TV. Visited medical clinic where sport shirts were worn and customer without enough cash to return home was told to visit some time later to pay. Visited a local shop with almost as much stock as a Foodland but in about 50 sq meters space - and price seemed to be at or below Bangkok for many items. Visited a drug store and bought Tylenol (bottle) for 100 baht rather than the 105-130 most places in Bangkok charge. And this was just on the main highway. Making a U-turn noticed a full size town with bus station, market and many shops and later check on the web find there are a total of eight hotels in this small city. Although a short ride north gets you into national park areas it is not the wild west that many seem to think.

If a person could be happy with a country life anywhere believe they could adjust - even contact with foreigners seems to be rather easy. If it were not for family reasons wife would be ready to move, she liked it that much, that fast.

wife is central Thai but last week we had a 24 hour visit to a small city some 90km west of Khon Khen called Chumphae. During that time we had food the wife admits is better than she can cook (and she is a good cook) at about half the Bangkok price.

Lopburi, my wife is from Khok Samrong, in central Thailand, and also an excellent cook. One of the only negative things about life around villages is that there is limiited Thai food. I think Isarn food is disgusting.

Lampard10

Does this mean that you have to go to the nearest town or city to do most of these things?

I don't know where you live, but, in and around my missus's village, there is absolutely nothing to do. Went fishing once in a small lake close to the village, only caught these horrible cat-fish that weren't very big and put up no fight at all.

You don't know where I live? I thought everyone on Thai Visa knows where I live.

have a look on http://www.farangconnection.awebspace.com and look at the past news section. There's some pictures of Isaan life there.