BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Rigger

Isaan Life Is Great

My fiancee comes from a village just outside Khon Kaen (baht bus 12)

I love the tranquillity of the village, the friendliness, the family life, the food, the swimming in the dam on the farm, the sitting around talking about nothing, watching a bit of television, reading, internet.

If I want shopping for non-essentials, Khon Kaen is 15 minutes away, otherwise great food ingredients from the market or the farm, beer and petrol (by the 500ml) at any number of shops.

Don't need a fitness club - I walk and help on the farm.

Don't need newspapers - can read on net.

for non-home cooked meals, the noodle place near the market or go into KK for barbecue or lash out and go to a restaurant

Lotus Tesco is not far away

Life does not need to be stressful

Villagers brains were disparaged in an earlier post, however, if we had had villagers running the financial markets instead of the "Masters of the Universe" I am sure the Global Finance Crisis would not have eventuated!

sometimes we westerners want too much

I can't live anywhere for too long, I have a house in the UK but prefer Thailand so I have been living in Bangkok for the last few years, I enjoyed my frequent visits to the wifes village but never stayed too long as i like my comforts such as air conditioning and a real shower (the toilet also but luckilly my parents in law had a western one fitted before our wedding a few years ago so my family wouldn't fall down the hole). The solution was to build a house here as a holiday home and it was finished a couple of weeks ago, I know have a nice retreat here with all western comforts such as air and a real oven and I am very happy, in addition to our truck I just got a second hand dirt bike to tool around on for fun and I am liking it here very much, we are far enough away from the speakers so I can't hear them unless all the doors and windows are open (which they never are).

I love Bangkok and could never live up here in the country for ever, but then I could never live any one place for ever.

Isaan, I like it.

I can't live anywhere for too long, I have a house in the UK but prefer Thailand so I have been living in Bangkok for the last few years, Isaan, I like it.

Just wondering, ever been to Texas (not the DIY store BTW) :o:D:D

Edited by Dave the Dude

njpski,you say you have a pond.any chance i may come over in the future my friend.i am a advid fisherman and thats one thing i would like to do.i will be in thailand the latter of july.give me a buzz.thanks buffaloe

Villagers brains were disparaged in an earlier post, however, if we had had villagers running the financial markets instead of the "Masters of the Universe" I am sure the Global Finance Crisis would not have eventuated!

The global financial crisis started with irresponsible lending to people without the means to repay, yes this would never happen in a Thai village.

Nowhere is perfect and Isaan is no exception.

I like living in an Isaan village, many of the people are great, many are not.

Overall, I'm happier here than living in a city, but it's far from perfect. But where else would be better? I don't know of anywhere.

The global financial crisis started with irresponsible lending to people without the means to repay, yes this would never happen in a Thai village.

Nowhere is perfect and Isaan is no exception.

I like living in an Isaan village, many of the people are great, many are not.

Overall, I'm happier here than living in a city, but it's far from perfect. But where else would be better? I don't know of anywhere.

Agree

Isaan isn't in itself going to make you happy, just like anywhere else in the world. You have to make compromises, and enjoy what the area has to offer. I talked to an American, spending a couple of days in Mukdahan. He said he was going out of his mind with boredom, and couldn't wait to get back to Pattya, where he was thinking of opening a bar. I told him (not altogether seriously) that Mukdahan was where I went if I wanted some big city lights and action. He was appalled. Good luck to him and his bar in Pattya - I wouldn't change places with him. Thailand offers a huge variety of lifestyles, but it's a fair bet if your woman is from Isaan, that's where you'll finish up!

I'm not a great fan of the spicy Isaan diet, and I find the mix of languages here on the edge of Thailand a disincentive to learn any of them. My wife speaks Lao, Chinese, Thai, and English ... (a typical "uneducated" country girl). I get by on what she calls "body language" most of the time, which can be a lot of fun if the person you're trying to communicate with has any sense of humour at all. Nearly everyone I meet is friendly, but there are exceptions who will "take against you" for no other reason than you're a farang - we have Vietnamese neighbours who I'm sure hold me directly responsible for carpet-bombing their homelands.

The supposed quiet of the area is misleading - Thai rural family life is full of drama, and the Buddhist calendar means spectacular festivals every few days or so (it seems like that sometimes!). I've tried Bangkok, Phuket, and the north, and I can honestly say there's a more relaxed, easier, atmosphere out here, which if you let it will slowly ensnare you.

So far I've had nothing but good-humoured help from the authorities, too. The boys in brown like to flag the Frontier down for a chat sometimes, but they couldn't care less that my international license (helpfully in French) is out of date. Opening a bank account seemed like an impossibility until I followed this forum's advice - keep trying! The bank at the local Tesco's was more than happy to take my money.

As to boredom - if you're prone to it, you'll get bored here as much as anywhere. I found the hectic nightlife of Bangkok insufferably boring after I'd done it to death.

So what's great about Isaan? Where I live, the people (mostly), the river, the atmosphere, the weather, the local life ... but you have to be ready for it, and if opening a bar in Patts sounds like a good idea to you, you're probably not ready for the heart and soul of Thailand!

njpski,you say you have a pond.any chance i may come over in the future my friend.i am a advid fisherman and thats one thing i would like to do.i will be in thailand the latter of july.give me a buzz.thanks buffaloe

my father in law stocked the dam with fish for me, but the floods after august washed the fish away

I had so much fun, just look at the grin on my face!!!

post-50182-1235643191_thumb.jpg

post-50182-1235643206_thumb.jpg

Edited by njpski

farangissan,do you live in the khon kaen area.njpski ok thanks buddy.i do not drink much ,but maybe once i get to thailand you can come over and visit with me.i will be in khon kaen somewhere.

my father in law stocked the dam with fish for me, but the floods after august washed the fish away

I had so much fun, just look at the grin on my face!!!

Photos invoke an image of tranquility.

A hammock between a couple of trees and a good book would set it off nicely.

I'd say you're on to a good thing there mate.

As to boredom - if you're prone to it, you'll get bored here as much as anywhere. I found the hectic nightlife of Bangkok insufferably boring after I'd done it to death.

So what's great about Isaan? Where I live, the people (mostly), the river, the atmosphere, the weather, the local life ... but you have to be ready for it, and if opening a bar in Patts sounds like a good idea to you, you're probably not ready for the heart and soul of Thailand!

A well-balanced post that gives a fair assessment of living in Isaan. Nowhere is perfect and you have to find somewhere that suits YOUR personality and requirements - I agree that I, for one, would not find that by running a bar in Pattaya. Good luck to those who can.

I can't live anywhere for too long, I have a house in the UK but prefer Thailand so I have been living in Bangkok for the last few years, Isaan, I like it.

Just wondering, ever been to Texas (not the DIY store BTW) :o:D:D

Yeah, my office is in Houston.

You might find this website useful if you are considering to live in Isaan.

www.isaanthaiproperty.com

Mainly properties in Khon Kaen though

You might find this website useful if you are considering to live in Isaan.

www.isaanthaiproperty.com

Mainly properties in Khon Kaen though

..... and you will be the owner, or web designer ?