Isaan Life Is Great

Rigger

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lampard10, Neeranam and lopburi3.

Thanks for your replies. This is good news indeed. Looks like if worst comes to worst, it won't be the worst.

You have piqued my interest with regards to the larger Isaan towns and villages.

Must go to the "Best city to live in Isaan" thread. Maybe even head up that way to have a look myself when I get back from offshore. Again, thanks guys.

You don't know where I live? I thought everyone on Thai Visa knows where I live.

have a look on http://www.farangconnection.awebspace.com and look at the past news section. There's some pictures of Isaan life there.

Looks like a good set-up lampard10.

Get a snooker table there and I will surely pay a visit.

There are about 10 snooker clubs in Surin. All my daily regulars play every day between 3 and 6. I am thinking of getting one upstairs when we expand later in the year.

Looks like a good set-up lampard10.

Get a snooker table there and I will surely pay a visit.

There are about 10 snooker clubs in Surin. All my daily regulars play every day between 3 and 6. I am thinking of getting one upstairs when we expand later in the year.

I'll be there when you do. how far is Surin from Khon Kaen, do you have any idea?

I have never been therefrom here.

I'll be there when you do. how far is Surin from Khon Kaen, do you have any idea?

Ask Bronco how far Surin is from Khon Kaen. I think he said it was a 2 six pack ride (of Heiniken). :o I know you don't drink (alcohol), but maybe 2 six packs of your favorite beverage would be the same. :D

How do you pass your time in Phuket then? When I was in Phuket and Pattaya, THAT'S what I did all day. Get drunk. OK that was in my relative youth,but as I said in my previous post,Isaan is a wonderful place to come when you're fed up of everything else. Being with my wife is enough for me,wherever we are.

Fishing, swimming, hanging out on the beach, going to fitness club, cinemas, bowling, golf, bar-hopping, going to BBQs and parties. Having friends round for good conversations, shopping, wind-surfing, sailing, going to a spa, dining at different restaurants etc. etc.

I don't do all of the above, but, at least I have the choice.

So, what are the choices if you live in a village in Isaan?

Am really not trying to say one life-style is better than another. I am truly interested in how you fill your days, because if the money situation goes t1ts-up, I might have to live in the village. So far, nobody has answered the question.

I also like hanging out with the wife, but that is not the type of answer I'm looking for.

With the exception of Wind surfing you can do all of that in Khan Kean, Udon or Korat all of which are Issan, there is more then just small villages.

I live in Korat (well, very near Korat). Here's how I fill my day:

Get up at 6 AM and have a couple of cups of coffee. Run at 7 AM and get back about 7:40. Have a couple of more cups of coffee while having breakfast and watching CNN or BBC.

Log on to the Internet about 8:30 or so. Read e-mail, do correspondence with family and friends, read a bunch of news and computer web pages, read Thai Visa. By the time I'm done with all that it's 11 AM. Time for a snack.

Newspaper arrives about then. Read that for an hour.

Take a shower and shave. This rarely happens before Noon.

Now for the big afternoon: Maybe watch a DVD or something on HBO or some other UBC channel. Maybe read a book. Maybe go The Mall and have a meal, buy something or just walk around enjoying the scenery. Stop at Lotus on the way home. Maybe go into Korat central and walk around, visit the GF's parents. Maybe take a long walk. Maybe take a nap.

Pretty soon it's time for dinner. Maybe go out. Maybe just walk out and get something to bring home.

Soon the sun sets and it's time for a beer or two in the rocker on the front porch.

Maybe watch some more TV.

Take a shower. Crawl into bed. Read until 9 or 10. Fall asleep.

Start over.

It's lovely. I learned from my Dad. He's been retired for 25 years and pretty much does the same thing. Nothing.

(I spent 26 years living on a tropical resort island, so I don't really need to do those sorts of things any more. A quiet life is fine with me.)

And, for a real adventure, I can drive over to Surin and have a breakfast, or two....

Get up at 6 AM and have a couple of cups of coffee. Run at 7 AM and get back about 7:40. Have a couple of more cups of coffee while having breakfast and watching CNN or BBC.

Log on to the Internet about 8:30 or so. Read e-mail, do correspondence with family and friends, read a bunch of news and computer web pages, read Thai Visa. By the time I'm done with all that it's 11 AM. Time for a snack.

Now for the big afternoon: Maybe watch a DVD or something on HBO or some other UBC channel. Maybe read a book. Maybe go The Mall and have a meal, buy something or just walk around enjoying the scenery. Stop at Lotus on the way home. Maybe go into Korat central and walk around, visit the GF's parents. Maybe take a long walk. Maybe take a nap.

Pretty soon it's time for dinner. Maybe go out. Maybe just walk out and get something to bring home.

Soon the sun sets and it's time for a beer or two in the rocker on the front porch.

Start over.

It's lovely. I learned from my Dad. He's been retired for 25 years and pretty much does the same thing. Nothing.

(I spent 26 years living on a tropical resort island, so I don't really need to do those sorts of things any more. A quiet life is fine with me.)

And, for a real adventure, I can drive over to Surin and have a breakfast, or two....

That's it................................................................I'm gonna start issuing tickets

Start over.

Almost the same lifestyle for me, when living not far from Sukkothai.

Although, having no Internet connection or TV, I substitute reading in the hammock whilst watching the goats for the Internet (for some reason this reminds me of Thaivisa), and burning rubbish (my main job on the farm) for the TV.

Apart from what you have outlined – who needs anything more?

Edited by Thomas_Merton

Start over.

Know what you mean Mike. And actually, sometimes it seems we are so busy doing "nothing", there isn't time for anything else. :o

Start over.

Know what you mean Mike. And actually, sometimes it seems we are so busy doing "nothing", there isn't time for anything else. :o

I know something lads...........we had such a good time on the 19th, with the free beer and thast,I've decided to do it all again...........................................................................

................................................................................

19th may 2006 alright for you lot?

Start over.

Know what you mean Mike. And actually, sometimes it seems we are so busy doing "nothing", there isn't time for anything else. :D

I know something lads...........we had such a good time on the 19th, with the free beer and thast,I've decided to do it all again...........................................................................

................................................................................

19th may 2006 alright for you lot?

"19th may 2006"

See that OP. Now there is just one example of how much there is to do....we have to plan a year in advance to fit so much in our busy schedules here in Isaan. :o

I spend the week days in Bangkok and the weekends in a house we built in a small village in Petchabun province. I know Petchabun's not Isan but it's considered the boundary between the northern and north eastern cultures. Village life however does seem pretty similar. Entertainment is mostly of our own making. Relaxation is pretty important but as i'm thirty i need more activities to fill my time. Apart from Chang, hammocks and gambling we like to get out into the mountains, go mountain biking or spend time landscaping and designing our land. It's a perfect escape from Bangkok. Unfortunately the schools aren't up to scratch for our children otherwise we would be there full time.

I absolutely love living in my wifes village near Kalasin. I work all the hours for 6 months in the UK so that I can spend 6 months in Thailand. Living in the village is the perfect way to unwind and de-stress.

Some say it's boring, but I disagree. Almost everyday is different. We spend our days wandering around the village, talking and chatting to others, touring around on my mountain bike (wife sits on the seat on the back). About three times a week we get on the motorbike and travel into Kalasin, get the BKK Post, walk around the market, do some shopping, have lunch etc..

In the evening we usually all sit around for the evening meal, usually a lively affair with all the kids, pretty good laugh sometimes... and then sometimes I choose to sit out the back with a couple of beers, just thinking, enjoying the quiet, staring at the stars... fantastic, If I want some company, I can pop down the local store and sit in there and drink, or go to someones house...(never a problem finding someone to drink with :o )

We don't have UBC, but sometimes there is a program in English (with the Dual thingy) and I've always got a supply of rented VCD's mainly for me and my wife to watch in the evening, that's all I need. I also like reading,

What do I miss ? - Well I sometimes miss interaction with fellow farang, you know a good in depth conversation in English, sometimes there is a dutch guy who stays in the village, it's not so bad then... But that's it I miss nothing else.

When I first decided i would like to live (well half the year anyway) in Thailand I thought I would prefer to be by the beach, but after living in Isaan it's not something I miss, I can always pop to the Rimpao Hotel and use the pool if needed... and then there is always the canal... :D

All the people I have met and know in the village have always been nothing but nice to me, always inviting me to drink with them or eat with them, happy smiles and always taking the time to ask if I am ok, and when I'm a bit quiet, worrying for me... it's all these small things that make the difference.

I think everything was made slightly easier because my wife/interpreter is held in high regard in the village, I honestly think this makes a diiference.

Outside the village in Isaan i've always received smiles and "good vibes" from everyone, never really thought "uh-oh.. I don't like this situation", I have elsewhere in Thailand.

Having only really spent any length of time in Isaan, i'm not really qualified to compare it to living elsewhere in Thailand, however in my travels around Thailand I can't think of anywhere else I would rather live.

The village life really appeals to me.... I have always wanted to live simply and out of the way... I've got that and no complaints here, to me living in the city with all the traffic and hustle and bustle is just not what I want.

My life when in Isaan is exactly how I like it.

totster :D

I've never been to the Isaan.

How does life in a village in Isaan differ from say a life in a village in other rural areas of Thailand?

I have no idea probably not much different small place living is small place living, the only thing I'm missing right now is the cool weather for bike touring but it will be back and I will be ready.

Here in Udon I have absoultely nothing to do and not enough time to get it done. It is rare that I stay home during the day. I always have errands to run, people to see and if time allows a little bowkling. Befoer my marriage I was out chasing women every night not much of chase but I would tell myself it was. LOL

I belong to a Issan bike riding club and I could be on an overnight campout tonight, with some farrangs and lot of Thai guys. I want to fish there are lots of lakes all around here, I don't so I don't.

I spend a lot of time exploring and learning how to live here even after three years. If you have nothing to do here it is because you don't want to do anything.

Pattaya and Bangkok are to much to do for my liking, if I'm up for a bit craziness I'm not land locked I can be in Pattaya in a matter of a few hours and be as silly as I care to be, knowing that in just couple of hours I can be back to the speed of life I like.

Several of the guys that I know who live hrer travel a lot, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam or the Philippines. They can afford to that becasue it inexpensive to live here. If you want to party hardy you can do that right in Udon, I know I did for about the first year I was here. A slower pace but it's here.

So I guess it really is what you want for a constant life, a vacation is a vacation, not a way of life for me. But to each his own.

I went to Khon Kaen about 7 years ago (the first girlfriend was from there) and I thought it was a great place to be. The people were very friendly, the food cheap and I felt very safe.

I have also contemplated the rural life, but cannot get over the fact that I would be living completely Thai, with no farangs around me to have a chat. Obviously many places rural have farangs living there, but the place where my wife comes from is completely Thai and I have never seen a foreigner.

Anyway hats off to you guys who can do it.

That's where I met my wife in 1998. I really liked Khon Kaen. I used to stay in Kasinkorntungsang Road - not far from the museum. I remember places like Ubon Rat dam, Fairy Plaza complex, the old cinema and some decent shops. Had a great time.

I also like Udon Thani. Bit busier now than back then. Shame they got rid of the beer garden next to Charoensi - I liked the live music in there. Good atmosphere. A very good DIY store in Udon now.

I too like Isaan mak-mak!

Issarn, great place, pretty girls, good life, great people always happy, and greet you with a great big smile, most of them have not got a lot, i respect the Issarn people, if they are ever in trouble, (my Family) i do my utmost to help, we are lucky guys to be in such a great place.

With myself i am from a rural background in the UK, so maybe thats why i like it so much.

Edited by Thaicoon

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2005-05-28 14:23:19)

Ask Bronco how far Surin is from Khon Kaen. I think he said it was a 2 six pack ride (of Heiniken).  I know you don't drink (alcohol), but maybe 2 six packs of your favorite beverage would be the same. 

That's pretty funny, Ken. I used to finish off a six pack in about 1 hour. Not quite the same with Coke. 1 large bottle lasts about 3 hours. That would be about 200km. Maybe Bronco can give me a lift one day if I supply the beverages.

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2005-05-28 14:23:19)

Ask Bronco how far Surin is from Khon Kaen. I think he said it was a 2 six pack ride (of Heiniken).  I know you don't drink (alcohol), but maybe 2 six packs of your favorite beverage would be the same. 

That's pretty funny, Ken. I used to finish off a six pack in about 1 hour. Not quite the same with Coke. 1 large bottle lasts about 3 hours. That would be about 200km. Maybe Bronco can give me a lift one day if I supply the beverages.

You're all welcome, whatever the length of the jouney. A single chang,a six pack or a whole case. :o

My better half is from Issan, Nakhon Phanom. Although we live in the central area due to work, when we go visit the "Out" laws it's always a pleasant experience. Great climate (hot days, cool nights), VERY spicy som tum, friendly people, although I can't get the hang of this Issan lingo..."Khao Jai U Bot...?"

I'm proud of my abilities to speak "normal" Thai, but this local dialect just drives me bonkers!

Example: If asking someone's name in Thai, "cheu ary kup?"

Issan linog has them all pronouncing "ch" as an "s", "seu ary kup" - to me that means "what have you bought/are buying?"

Mar bpen ding-dong layo!

LOVE IT!

For me the two greatest things are....

the freedom that the kids have to just wander off and play. I'm from England where sadly that is just not possible anymore.

Couldnt agree with you more derekley.

I have just recently returned (to the UK :D ) from a trip 'home' to Tha Bo (near Nong Khai), with the wife and 3 kids (6,5 and 2 yrs).

All I can say is, our kids had the best time ever and to see their faces every day was such a joy. The freedom they enjoyed in the village, even though they speak no Thai at all, was absolutely amazing. It didnt matter where they went or who they went with, they were always accepted as being one of the family.

The funny thing about this visit was that it was more difficult to drag the kids away from the village this time round than it usually is for me and the wife :o .

It's been 4 years since we was last able to visit, but we was plesantly surprised at the fact that very little had changed since the last time in town, except the amount of building work that seems to be happening as of late.

Anyway, back to the topic, OK so I have never done a 'serious' amount of time living in Issan in one , but I have stayed there for long enough over the years to say that I would never have a problem with keeping myself occupied.

As others have stated, there is plenty to do as long as you can be arsed to get up and do it :D

For me, when I am in my home in Nonsa-at, that’s between Unornthani & Nongkai

goes like this

Morning

7am Up make some bread (my home made bread is superb)

8am 2 slices of toast & fresh Orange juice on my balcony :D

9am watch the school children going to school all happy (all clean and pressed

in their school uniforms, the kids in the UK could take lessons)

9.15 Watch the Buffalos going out to the fields

9.30 Time for a swim in my pool (the water is nice and warm by then)

11am Shower dress watch TV just to make sure that World War 3 has not started.

12am Time for lunch :D

1pm Go for a drive into Udorn or Nongkai to do some retail therapy

5pm Back home watch the buffalos return & the ducks (funny really I never see

the Ducks leave in a morning)

6.30 Teatime with the family this takes hours

8pm TV or a video

10.30 Bed

GOD THE STRESS IS AWFUL :o

So there you have it Rigger. 53 replies and not one single ' Isaan Knocker' Answered a few questions hasit? Changed your mind a bit? I would think you are pleasently surprised about what REAL people of Isaan. Give us a visit mate.

For me, when I am in my home in Nonsa-at, that’s between Unornthani & Nongkai

goes like this

Morning 

7am  Up    make some bread (my home made bread is superb)

8am    2 slices of toast & fresh Orange juice on my balcony :D

9am  watch the school children going to school all happy (all clean and pressed   

in their school uniforms, the kids in the UK could take lessons)

9.15  Watch the Buffalos going out to the fields

9.30  Time for a swim in my pool (the water is nice and warm by then)

11am Shower dress watch TV just to make sure that World War 3 has not started.

12am Time for lunch  :D

1pm  Go for a drive into Udorn or Nongkai to do some retail therapy

5pm  Back home watch the buffalos return & the ducks (funny really I never see 

the Ducks leave in a morning)

6.30  Teatime with the family this takes hours 

8pm  TV or a video

10.30  Bed

GOD THE STRESS IS AWFUL  :o

Hey edd, I don't know how you cope with it all my friend...!

Livin' the dream baby, livin' the dream!

So there you have it Rigger. 53 replies and not one single ' Isaan Knocker' Answered a few questions hasit? Changed your mind a bit? I would think you are pleasently surprised about what REAL people of Isaan. Give us a visit mate.

SHHH!!!!! don't tell anyone Issan is the best kept secret in Thailand I wished LOL

Have to agree with you on that one.  I also live in  a small village and will be moving to an even smaller one when I finish the house.  I really enjoy it.  I get to the big smoke every now and then but I really enjoy being back in the sticks where life is a bit slower and quieter.

There is a saying 'Farangs building thier own prison' Meaning building a house especially in rural thailand. Be careful not for everyone. I love it. I have spent 6+ years living in the sticks. Takes a little getting used to, but you can always run to the smoke for a few days R&R when it all gets on top of you.

when did I say it was a six pack to surin??? at least 2 for sure.

villiage life is about fitting in, admittedly I only do it part time but that's the way it is for me and this is in the wrong section so will move to the issarn section.

I have been living in Isaan 40km out of nongbualampoo for a bit over 2 years. Most the posts are from people living in isaan all ready so off course they love it other wise we wouldn,t live here. So not one Isaan knocker hey I think that they are too scared to post as they will get flamed. So no one has had a bad experience while living or visting out back Isaan. I find that hard to belive :o

So no one has had a bad experience while living or visting out back Isaan. I find that hard to believe.

Well yes I had a bad experience tn Isan.

I had the lethal sh**s & had to go to the hospital in Amphur Phen, while the service was great and they were very helpful BUT being a falang I was over charged

Consultation with the doctor

Injections

Medicine for 2 weeks

Letter for my doctor in the UK

And you know they had the nerve to charge me 120 Bhat that’s £ 1.70p :D

Now how can they justify that sort of money. :o