Isaan Life Is Great

Rigger

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2005-05-28 14:23:19)

I'll be there when you do. how far is Surin from Khon Kaen, do you have any idea?

I have never been therefrom here.

Ask Bronco how far Surin is from Khon Kaen. I think he said it was a 2 six pack ride (of Heiniken).  I know you don't drink (alcohol), but maybe 2 six packs of your favorite beverage would be the same. 

That's pretty funny, Ken. I used to finish off a six pack in about 1 hour. Not quite the same with Coke. 1 large bottle lasts about 3 hours. That would be about 200km. Maybe Bronco can give me a lift one day if I supply the beverages.

when did I say it was a six pack to surin??? at least 2 for sure.

villiage life is about fitting in, admittedly I only do it part time but that's the way it is for me and this is in the wrong section so will move to the issarn section.

Bronco, re-read the above post. I said, you said a 2 six pack ride. Then Neeranam said he use to finish off a six pack in about an hour, so......now just curious, is the trip from Khon Kaen to Surin about a 2 hour ride?

And Rigger, your last post confused me just a little bit concerning the "no one has had a bad experience", "afraid to get flamed"....., so ok, here is one bad experience....my first marriage up here in Isaan ended in divorce after 10 years (she had acquired a Thai boyfriend while I was away at work). Now I have a new wife, live in a new small village and still in Isaan. :D

But you're right, there are certainly people out there who have had bad experiences and never came back. I've seen it happen. But they probably don't post on TV either so you're not going to hear from them and for that matter it happens anywhere in Thailand or the world, not just Isaan. :o

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lived in Phuket for 20 years or so, and have been with my Isaan missus for eight years now. Am busy saving for my retirement. You need an aweful lot of money to retire in Phuket, as it is probably the most expensive place to live in the Kingdom. If for any reason my funds look like running out in Phuket, my plan would be to move somewhere cheaper, more than likely, a city in Isaan.

Have been to my wife's village (about an hour and a halfs drive from Khon Kaen) and have always been made to feel welcome. The people are very kind. The missus usually goes back once or twice a year and I am always invited by the family to come along. I find myself making excuses to stay in Phuket because after only a day in the village, I am completely numbed by boredom. There is absolutely nothing to do except read a book, or, get drunk.

I guess my question is (to the people that live in the villages), just how the h3ll do you fill your days? Sitting at a computer, surfing the net all day, is not my idea of having a good time.

How do I fill my days in Isaan?

Taking care of and training (handler protection work) five dogs, taking care of over 300 aviary birds, one flock of Chinese Geese, Indian Runner Ducks, Muscovy Ducks, Pekin Ducks, 500,000 Pla Duc (Catfish), rides on the bike, 3 kids, fishing, football etc etc etc - when the p**s do I have the time to chug beer chang - about once a month. But that's cool. If anyone is at a loose end with 10 rai, they must be mental, have no imagination and a glass back IMHO! :o

Have just stayed for a month in a small village between sisa ket 30 km away, and rasi sali(sari?) about 7 km away.

People are absolutely fantastic, even had a book running in one shop, and cleared it once a week.

Songkram was out of this world, stayed in koh samui for it last year and though it was good, but village life was so much better.

Songkram holiday photos.

Got a bit lonely because the girl friend was the only person to speak English. The main problem I had was communication as I only speak a very little Thai, and most people spoke Laos, and suay (hope I spelled it right).

The English word I hear most was "you", quite often could walk do the road and people would shout "you" and raise a beer for me to go and have a drink.

The worst thing I encountered was the most disgusting smelling food ever, it was sort of baby (very small) fish mixed with chilli's into some sort of paste. I was told it could be months old and they all loved it, yet it is hardly ever eaten in Bangkok. Even the cats and dogs wouldn’t eat it!

Also what is with the Thai’s wanting to know how many times you have sex, and how big your manhood is.

Village life is the friendliest ever, will never go back to Bangkok again except to watch muay Thai at the two main stadiums.

PS

I live in the UK, 33 years old and cant wait to retire.

I have to agree with you there Bilko. I enjoyed your pictures...Dang do I sure miss being back in the village. The wife and I spent 2 months in her village and a couple of neighboring villages with her grandmothers family. For the past year I have asked myself daily why on earth did I come back to the states?

One more year and I'll be one of those wacky villagers too! Roof overhead, clothes on back and food in the belly, no Jones's to keep up with, no race card being pulled left and right, what else could one want?

Eric

I have lived in Phuket for 20 years or so, and have been with my Isaan missus for eight years now. Am busy saving for my retirement. You need an aweful lot of money to retire in Phuket, as it is probably the most expensive place to live in the Kingdom. If for any reason my funds look like running out in Phuket, my plan would be to move somewhere cheaper, more than likely, a city in Isaan.

Have been to my wife's village (about an hour and a halfs drive from Khon Kaen) and have always been made to feel welcome. The people are very kind. The missus usually goes back once or twice a year and I am always invited by the family to come along. I find myself making excuses to stay in Phuket because after only a day in the village, I am completely numbed by boredom. There is absolutely nothing to do except read a book, or, get drunk.

I guess my question is (to the people that live in the villages), just how the h3ll do you fill your days? Sitting at a computer, surfing the net all day, is not my idea of having a good time.

Taking care of and training (handler protection work) five dogs, taking care of over 300 aviary birds, one flock of Chinese Geese, Indian Runner Ducks, Muscovy Ducks, Pekin Ducks, 500,000 Pla Duc (Catfish), rides on the bike, 3 kids, fishing, football etc etc etc - when the p**s do I have the time to chug beer chang - about once a month. But that's cool. If anyone is at a loose end with 10 rai, they must be mental, have no imagination and a glass back IMHO! :o

Are you raising all these on only 10 rai?!!

Dogs- 1 rai

Ducks- 2 rai

Geese- 1 rai

Fish- 2 rai

All clean as a whistle, happy and producing. It's all in the equipment. The aviary birds are in a building that allows natural light in dry weather but with 5% UV strips, heating/cooling system managed by Microclimate Magic Eye Stats and dehumidifiers.

nothing beats the village life. simple is better for me and my wife, less worries and more peaceful then the city, and Surin is only an hour away if we want to go to a movie or shopping. wish i was in isaan with her now.........

One thing I will never forget. When I first moved to Isaan and brought my ' Yellow Peril' (see Pattaya mail eight years ago for stories) up with me,I used to ride around the villages surrounding my good lady's home. Upon seeing me coming, the local kids would rush out and line the streets waving and shouting 'Hello' the only word of English they probably knew. I used to imagine myself as a Prince of the Realm, riding a stallion through my subjects, whereas the truth was they probably had never seen a big, fat, half-pissed falang negotiating his way round tight corners and potholes, trying not to fall off. Still, I had my moment, and they had theirs.

Edited by lampard10

One thing I will never forget. When I first moved to Isaan and brought my ' Yellow Peril'  (see Pattaya mail eight years ago for stories) up with me,I used to ride around the villages surrounding my good lady's home. Upon seeing me coming, the local kids would rush out and line the streets waving and shouting 'Hello' the only word of English they probably knew. I used to imagine myself as a Prince of the Realm, riding a stallion through my subjects, whereas the truth was they probably had never seen a big, fat, half-pissed  falang negotiating his way round tight corners and potholes, trying not to fall off. Still, I had my moment, and they had theirs.

Well we are finally going to get to check out Roi Et, heading up there tomorow, will spend at least tow days and maybe more depending on how things go. Does anyone know if they have a bowling alley?

We will be meeting Ozziedom amd his wife and check out a friend of his place that raises beef in the area.

If anyone wants to meet while we are there, PM me and I'll give you my phone number.

At this point we are planning Friday and Saturday in Khan Kean, this time we are taking the pickup, now that is scarry LOL

Edited by ray23

But you're right, there are certainly people out there who have had bad experiences and never came back.  I've seen it happen.  But they probably don't post on TV either so you're not going to hear from them and for that matter it happens anywhere in Thailand or the world, not just Isaan. :D

well put, very well put :o

I have heard a lot of people say negative things about rural Isaan not so much on this site but on other sites and in public. I was talking to one guy in Big C Khon Khen when out of the blue he comes out with all people that live in villages are stupid and anyone that listen to them are the same. I told him i live in a small village and he shut up real quick. I find rural Isaan great fresh food, nice people, no polution, no whining expats, except my mate John but he is a old pommy barsted so you got to expect that. I have lived in many places Phuket, Bangkok, Khon khen, and have to say Isaan is the best for me. If you go to rural Isaan and dont have a good time it proberly because of one of the following. Your not man anough for Isaan. Not orgnized. You wife is not looking after you and is no good. Your wifes faimly is no good

ISAAN I LOVE IT :o

but if you went to the African equivelent, a mud hut in the middle of the jungle,how would you get on trying to start a conversation about computor science. Or in a little hick town in the backwoods of Kentucky where the only chance a young man has to have sex is with his sister or cousin,and talk about the politics of Europe. Even in America a lot of them have never heard of Europe. As the old adage goes 'You pays yer money,and take yer chances'

Well I've paid my money,took my chances and have never been happier in my life. ISAAN I love you.

I had sex with my ex wifes sister, does that count? My current wife does not have a sister and her brother is ugly. The only danger is the mother.......... My saving grace is that she lives an hours drive from me, so I should be OK :D

One thing I will never forget. When I first moved to Isaan and brought my ' Yellow Peril'  (see Pattaya mail eight years ago for stories) up with me,I used to ride around the villages surrounding my good lady's home. Upon seeing me coming, the local kids would rush out and line the streets waving and shouting 'Hello' the only word of English they probably knew. I used to imagine myself as a Prince of the Realm, riding a stallion through my subjects, whereas the truth was they probably had never seen a big, fat, half-pissed  falang negotiating his way round tight corners and potholes, trying not to fall off. Still, I had my moment, and they had theirs.

Well we are finally going to get to check out Roi Et, heading up there tomorow, will spend at least tow days and maybe more depending on how things go. Does anyone know if they have a bowling alley?

We will be meeting Ozziedom amd his wife and check out a friend of his place that raises beef in the area.

If anyone wants to meet while we are there, PM me and I'll give you my phone number.

At this point we are planning Friday and Saturday in Khan Kean, this time we are taking the pickup, now that is scarry LOL

if you mean Khon Kaen Ray PM me for a meet friday or saturday.

God! He's off again....the man's got an engagments diary bigger than the Times Atlas of the World in the FC.

Wasn't it the philospher Will Durant who said,

" nothing is a good thing to do "

I cant think of a better place to do nothing.... than in Isaan.

Me neither, I am so busy doing nothing in Isaan that I rarely have time to do anything else! :D

Since my son was born last December my desire to continue doing nothing has increased ten-fold...........I just love spending my days with him! :D

Sadly every couple of months I still have to return to the UK for a month or so to pay for this "do nothing" lifestyle. :o

I just love my life in rural Isaan! :D !

God! He's off again....the man's got an engagments diary bigger than the Times Atlas of the World in the FC.

off to Sakhon Nakhon tomorrow any one up for a beer :o:D:D

Dogs- 1 rai

Ducks- 2 rai

Geese- 1 rai

Fish- 2 rai

All clean as a whistle, happy and producing. It's all in the equipment. The aviary birds are in a building that allows natural light in dry weather but with 5% UV strips, heating/cooling system managed by Microclimate Magic Eye Stats and dehumidifiers.

500,000 catfish in 2 rai, what are you using for feed?

• 3 years later...

I found when I moved to Issan with my wife, that I was bored, but you just find interests to fill your day. I play guitar for a couple of hours, go to a gym in Udon, which also gives me the opportunity to talk with other ferangs, with out getting drunk at a bar although this is not a bad thing now and then, after all, I am on holiday, albeit, a long one. I also have been known to BBQ some mean ribs on a spare day. I think you can be bored anywhere, a small village or a big city, you only get out of anything what what you put in. I stayed in Samui for a couple of years before - with all the amenities of a 'Holiday Destination' and was pretty jaded with it by the time we left.

most of you guys and girls whoops ,have had some heavy hits around the noggin in yous past , either that or im missing something, living in issarn is relaxing sure so is waiting for the bus. we need to find a place where we can drink beer together whithout family.

Because.............. ???

Isaan life can be great.

I loved the time I spent in Isaan, with my GF & her family and have many good memories.

The downside was:

1. Need to travel many miles to access reasonable retail specialties.
  2. Sitting and eating on the floor played havoc with my back.
  3. Sleeping on a thin floor mattress resulted in sleepless nights.
  4. The burning off of the rice straw after the harvest destroyed my lungs for a number of days.
  5. The smoke from the kitchen fires choked out the whole house.
  6. Every dish was cooked in Plah Rar (homemade fish sauce) and became too much.
  7. The drunken uncles regularly asking for 200b for whiskey.
  8. The dusty pothole riddled dirt roads playing havoc with ones vehicles.
  9. The incessant nightly humidity during the summer.
  10. The need to get used to dishes such as frog, bugs, ant eggs, fish heads and other delicacies.
  11. Local food markets selling unrefrigerated perishables.
  12. Few and limited services.
  13. Villagers just walk in (even when you're trying to make love).

:o

On the positive, most things are cheap, the squat toilets are a treat, and everyone is welcoming.

BTW: What's this about "Isaan is good, but keep away from the North". I thought being North East, Isaan was the North??!

Pros

- Isaan people are probably among the most friendly in the world.

- Cheap to buy land

- Cheap to build

- Road network is good on the main highways

- Excellent place to learn to speak Thai (knowledge of basic Thai is a must in Isaan)

- Most towns have a good expat scene.

Cons

- Isaan food takes some getting used to (Personally I find the stalefish som tam offensive)

- In remote areas the locals constantly staring at you like you just arrived from a space ship

- Most of the scenery is quite boring - flat, flat flat. There are exceptions - Loei, Kho Yai etc.

- No beach

- Hot and dry in the summer

- Schools are bad in comparison with the rest of the country

- Hospitals are bad in comparison with the rest of the country

We're in a village about 40k from Chaiyaphum. Yes, it gets boring sometimes - but it also gets b-o-o-o-r-i-n-g in Sydney. I am aware of a few farang about the ampur (nice if they'd stop providing large 'tips' & pushing prices up), but don't see them. Acutally, I did see one once about 3 years back. A 'hello' got a grunt reply, so I didn't bother again.

Anyhow, life in the village is pretty good. I have a few locals that keep an eye out for me / on me. My Thai family is GREAT! Love them to bits. Next month sees the xth anniversiary of meeting the family, so I'm sending an anniversiary card to them - should get a smile or two. (yeah, Mrs thinks I'm crazy, too.)

Best parts: fruit & veggies are fresh, people are (mostly) friendly, air is relatively clean, buffalo are good listeners.

Not so good parts: buses are not always reliable (40k is a decent hike), the 5 or 6AM daily racket, not always easy to find a reasonable level of English for a chat, um, um, bugger - can't think of anything else.

Bad parts: Bit of a hike to the airport.

Humidity can get a bit much - but Sydney is the same at present.

Edited by pgs

I have heard a lot of people say negative things about rural Isaan not so much on this site but on other sites and in public. I was talking to one guy in Big C Khon Khen when out of the blue he comes out with all people that live in villages are stupid and anyone that listen to them are the same. I told him i live in a small village and he shut up real quick. I find rural Isaan great fresh food, nice people, no polution, no whining expats, except my mate John but he is a old pommy barsted so you got to expect that. I have lived in many places Phuket, Bangkok, Khon khen, and have to say Isaan is the best for me. If you go to rural Isaan and dont have a good time it proberly because of one of the following. Your not man anough for Isaan. Not orgnized. You wife is not looking after you and is no good. Your wifes faimly is no good

ISAAN I LOVE IT :o

"Nice people, no pollution". "ISAAN I LOVE IT". Stockholm Syndrome springs to mind.

Edited by coventry