Isaan Life Is Great

Rigger

The downside was:

1. Villagers just walk in (even when you're trying to make love).

:o

It's when they start to mark you out of 10 that you really need to worry.

Even more worrying is when having finished, the fat old bag in the patung with a red stained mouth says "OK - my turn now!"

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The downside was:

1. Villagers just walk in (even when you're trying to make love).

:D

It's when they start to mark you out of 10 that you really need to worry.

Even more worrying is when having finished, the fat old bag in the patung with a red stained mouth says "OK - my turn now!"

:o:D:D

Isaan life can be great.

I loved the time I spent in Isaan, with my GF & her family and have many good memories.

The downside was:

1. Need to travel many miles to access reasonable retail specialties.
  2. Sitting and eating on the floor played havoc with my back.
  3. Sleeping on a thin floor mattress resulted in sleepless nights.
  4. The burning off of the rice straw after the harvest destroyed my lungs for a number of days.
  5. The smoke from the kitchen fires choked out the whole house.
  6. Every dish was cooked in Plah Rar (homemade fish sauce) and became too much.
  7. The drunken uncles regularly asking for 200b for whiskey.
  8. The dusty pothole riddled dirt roads playing havoc with ones vehicles.
  9. The incessant nightly humidity during the summer.
  10. The need to get used to dishes such as frog, bugs, ant eggs, fish heads and other delicacies.
  11. Local food markets selling unrefrigerated perishables.
  12. Few and limited services.
  13. Villagers just walk in (even when you're trying to make love).

:o

On the positive, most things are cheap, the squat toilets are a treat, and everyone is welcoming.

BTW: What's this about "Isaan is good, but keep away from the North". I thought being North East, Isaan was the North??!

I have lived in Isaan for over a decade, and the downside list was pretty normal of people who stay out in the village. I live in a town and that's about as rural as I can get. One of things I found difficult in dealing with at first, with the locals can be the difference in education, and there attitude that ignorance, bad manners and their insistance that rudeness is Thai custom & culture. We are taught about action and reaction, and are more prepared to deal with the consequence when it arrives. We work in Logic, there work in Magic. I never seem to have the same problems in Bkk. The local inter village youth battles can be a bore, although sometimes I must admit to warming to a Gengis Kahn battle reinactment. Saying that I love it up here and have a great relationship with the locals, mainly because I make an effort to intergrate. I amazes me that alot of long term stayers, never bother to learn the fundamentals of the Thai/Isaan/Khmer language, and spend their hard earned time else where. What I love most about living up here is the freedom, and there's no nanny state health and safety nazi's telling me what I can't do. I think for alot of people, Isaan offers a certain rawness to life, that the sanatised western world can't. Learn to laugh at the idosyncratic way's of those around you(the local expats too), and issan life will become more than palitable.

Here are some answers to the above list.

1. Think of the 100km round trip as being an adventure.

2. Buy a plastic chair and plates, eating off the floor can be unheigenic

3. You really should be drinking more.

4. Try smoking the local tobbaco, and the aromatic wafts of the local ricemill will become pleasant.

5. On the positive side, no mosquito's

6. Add more Chilli

7. Get drunk, then go around the village asking everyone for money Heineken money. You'll soon find that no one will ever bother you again.

8. Buy a dirt bike. A platinuim is only 45k.

9. Take a shower, and half dry yourself, then sit near a fan.

10. You should be more worried about the dog entering and wanting a lick, than granny staring at your redeo performance.

Life in Issan grows on you. Five years ago if someone would have told that one day be living in Issan, I'd have told them that they were insane.

My Thai wife and I lived in a condo in Jomtien. She had a house upcountry and it took her about five months to talk me into a visit. She told me that I may not like the house. I had seen upcountry houses before so I was quite surprised to find a two bedroom western style house built on a slab. After about six visits, with each visit longer than the previous one, I decided I liked it. Of course it took some time to westernize the house by adding window screens, a water pump, a hot water shower and a rewire job. I'm quite content now and with some land, a tractor and a workshop/garage I have plenty to keep me busy.

i must agree,i live in a small village ban phu haung in kalasin a lovely part of the countryside,i have got to know most of the village and find them very friendly.and agree that it is easier if you have no demanding inlaws your wife loves you.

we are 70ks from khom kean 100ks from udon thani so can go and get major supplies when needed.

I LOVE ISSAN TOO!!!

I have heard a lot of people say negative things about rural Isaan not so much on this site but on other sites and in public. I was talking to one guy in Big C Khon Khen when out of the blue he comes out with all people that live in villages are stupid and anyone that listen to them are the same. I told him i live in a small village and he shut up real quick. I find rural Isaan great fresh food, nice people, no polution, no whining expats, except my mate John but he is a old pommy barsted so you got to expect that. I have lived in many places Phuket, Bangkok, Khon khen, and have to say Isaan is the best for me. If you go to rural Isaan and dont have a good time it proberly because of one of the following. Your not man anough for Isaan. Not orgnized. You wife is not looking after you and is no good. Your wifes faimly is no good

ISAAN I LOVE IT :o

What are you talking about? Not man enough for Isaan? Holly shi......wife's family? you shouldn't wirite about things you don't really know. Respect others and they'll do the same. If you look around you, what do you see?

I totally disagree with you. I came to the lower north east 7 years ago, and quiet happy about the quality of life here. Everything is much cheaper, and my wife's parents call me luk, which means son. I used to stay in a very small village, went out to the rice fields and lived my life as Thais do. Another very important thing for me is that you don't see too many foreigners here. I'm tired to hear stupid stories from foreigners, what they are and what they have. (let's say what they'd like to be). It became my home, and I'll never leave.........chock dee.....

post-39518-1234081782_thumb.jpg

Great to hear so many people are loving life in Isaan. A very interesting thread to read different peoples views. I don't get to stay as much as I would like in Ubon but the times my wife, our boys and I have visited are always full of genuine locals who have an outlook on life that we have lost in the west. Laid back and peacful for the most part so its as good a place as any to live or retire.

isaan certainly sounds tempting.

whats 10 rai worth? 20 minutes from city?

any southern province lovers/haters out there got antyhing to say?

ef

Isaan tempting. How's that ?

Whatever it's worth to you. Sor Por Kor- Chanote ?

I live in Isaan and I can honestly say "it aint paradise". Don't listen to dreamers

Edited by coventry

I have never visited the Issan myself but I plan to someday. I would like for my wife and I to spend some time traveling around the Mekong River area and some of the rural provinces. I have heard mixed stories regarding life in the Issan but that's to be expected anywhere. There are some advantages to life in those quieter areas as opposed to big, smoky Bangkok but there are also some disadvantages: lack of jobs and lack of good schools

Being a teacher, I would need to to find a decent school to work for if my wife and I lived up there. In addition to this I would want our kids to attend good schools (especially primary school). Big C, Makro and other stores like that are becomming more common so it's probably not too difficult to stock up on supplies here and there.

It can be very difficult to settle in in Isarn if you don't know anyone. I have know couples from outside(Bangkok), Thai/farang who were rejected by the locals. Some of the people in Isarn do not regard themselves as Thai. My wife comes from Central Thailand, and if it weren't for her contacts in Isarn, it would be very hard and we probably wouldn't be here. Business would be impossible.

I know many teachers and could easily find you a great job in many places around Isarn. Sounds like you are looking for somewher like Khon Kaen in the heart of Isarn, the best place to live in Thailand, IMO. PM me if you would like more info. I think the best thing to do would be to work for one of the international ot bi-lingual schools and get your kids in there free, would save a fortune.

can you blame them for not liking people near or in Bangkok,so racist against skin colour/issaan people,insulting the mentality of them.give me issaan any day from the Bangkok nasty people.

To the people who post saying the village folks are a bit thick. How much do you know about farming and other things these people do for a living? It could just possibly be the same villagers consider you a bit simple, or your choice of subject for conversation, BORING. I can speak Thai and often hear the men in the village sitting together discussing at length farming matters that are of interest to them. Sure they can't talk about more worldly subjects, but who cares? I'm on holiday, and don't want to bother with that anyway. I can go talk to the Gamnan for that sort of thing, but don't. There's plenty of whiney ferangs you can talk to about financial meltdown ect. on Thai visa if that's you bag.

To the people who post saying the village folks are a bit thick. How much do you know about farming and other things these people do for a living? It could just possibly be the same villagers consider you a bit simple, or your choice of subject for conversation, BORING. I can speak Thai and often hear the men in the village sitting together discussing at length farming matters that are of interest to them. Sure they can't talk about more worldly subjects, but who cares? I'm on holiday, and don't want to bother with that anyway. I can go talk to the Gamnan for that sort of thing, but don't. There's plenty of whiney ferangs you can talk to about financial meltdown ect. on Thai visa if that's you bag.

A kamnan in a small Tambon in NongKhai province can only speak about the color and texture of his buffalo s***.

Enjoi! :o

I don't/didn't like living in Bangkok but I certainly don't cry about it. Issan isn't for everyone but it suits me just fine. The last thing we need up here is whinging farangs. You can live where you choose and I'll live where I choose.

Spoken like a true snob. Bash Thais for being stupid, and belittle those with a brain.

Though I know the meaning of the word,don't use it;not my language,you know.

I don't think the Thais are stupid,but that most of them have no,or little education is a fact!

And,if you have a brain,please use it! :o

People here are certainly not thick -

I stay here for a month every year and I can say in all certaintly it's one of the most uncomfortable places on earth, admittedly I stay with the family 'in village' when I come, but everthing seems to be rock hard. The few seats, eating platforms and even the 'beds' make your arse hurt like flock after a month. Issan - The land of sore arse. (no funny comments about gay karioke or the like please)

Isaan folk are mostly hardy peasent folk who have learnt form the school of hard knocks. Please don't kid yourself folks, most families of daughters employed in the entertainment sectors of the country will never have a farangs best intentions at heart unless they are speaking with them in the mother tongue. Unless you speak the language fluently and have a frim grasp of the Thai social model you will be seen as a curious white biped with ATM potentials. This is the way it is. And the way it will remain.

Isaaners are fun to be around. In my opinion the nicest people in Thailand. The only problem that you can have in Isaan is the amount of money you have in your wallet. the less you have the better. Pensioners are in the best position as they only have a set amount of cash per month and their sweetheart is aware of it.

Yes, there are Isaan folks that have done well for themselves in business, but they would genrerally not consider settling with farang.

I've lived in Isaan for almost ten years. I like the people a lot. In fact I love Isaan people. The only thing that bothers me is the constant staring I expereince. I used to enjoy the attention at first now I find it a bit obtrusive. Maybe I'm getting paranoid?

But Isaan people are great, especially compared to the people of the south of Thailand where the locals can't even manage a smile when you enter a shop.

But in Isaan I know, as we all most know, that the majority of Isaan folk look down on Farang. Isaan people have been looked down on by the upper classes in thailand for centuries. Now they have a new breed of person to look down on, and manipulate - The Farang.

If you can speak and understand a little bit of Thai it is scary to hear what Thai wives speak about their farang husbands.

I live in Isaan but my girlfriend is from Bangkok. We have lived here for six months and are looking at moving back to the capital. Why? - Boredom. I'm 32 today and my girlfriend is 29 on Thursday. We are not at retirement age yet, and there aint much to do here.

Isaan life can be great, if you just want to go fishing, play golf or drink in expat bars. Apart from that there isn't much to do.

Just my 2 satangs,

GFL.

Isaan life can be great, if you just want to go fishing, play golf or drink in expat bars. Apart from that there isn't much to do.

Just my 2 satangs,

GFL.

Well said and belated birthday greetings. What are you doing posting at this time on your birthday (or just after).

Just my 2 satangs,

GFL.

Well said and belated birthday greetings. What are you doing posting at this time on your birthday (or just after).

Thanks very much for the birthday greetings!!!

The reason I'm posting at this time is that there is <deleted> all else to do here in my small part of Isaan, part of the point of my post.

The girlfriend and myself are itching to get back to Bangkok, eat good Japanese food and watch a movie.... Oh, the memories of the city.

Cheers dude,

GFL.

I have never visited the Issan myself but I plan to someday. I would like for my wife and I to spend some time traveling around the Mekong River area and some of the rural provinces. I have heard mixed stories regarding life in the Issan but that's to be expected anywhere. There are some advantages to life in those quieter areas as opposed to big, smoky Bangkok but there are also some disadvantages: lack of jobs and lack of good schools

Being a teacher, I would need to to find a decent school to work for if my wife and I lived up there. In addition to this I would want our kids to attend good schools (especially primary school). Big C, Makro and other stores like that are becomming more common so it's probably not too difficult to stock up on supplies here and there.

It can be very difficult to settle in in Isarn if you don't know anyone. I have know couples from outside(Bangkok), Thai/farang who were rejected by the locals. Some of the people in Isarn do not regard themselves as Thai. My wife comes from Central Thailand, and if it weren't for her contacts in Isarn, it would be very hard and we probably wouldn't be here. Business would be impossible.

I know many teachers and could easily find you a great job in many places around Isarn. Sounds like you are looking for somewher like Khon Kaen in the heart of Isarn, the best place to live in Thailand, IMO. PM me if you would like more info. I think the best thing to do would be to work for one of the international ot bi-lingual schools and get your kids in there free, would save a fortune.

can you blame them for not liking people near or in Bangkok,so racist against skin colour/issaan people,insulting the mentality of them.give me issaan any day from the Bangkok nasty people.

The people are definitely nicer here but I often wonder why the hel_l I'm here.

I think that most of the guys here are here because their wives make them come here. They then go on about how great it is but really would rather be elsewhere but are under the thumb.

If it was as expensive here as say Phuket, no one would be here.

Edited by Neeranam

The people are definitely nicer here but I often wonder why the hel_l I'm here.

I think that most of the guys here are here because their wives make them come here. They then go on about how great it is but really would rather be elsewhere but are under the thumb.

If it was as expensive here as say Phuket, no one would be here.

After living 14 years in the Pattaya area, I was grateful to leave and have somewhere else to live. It's true my wife, like most other expats wives and girls in the area, were born and bred here, but I don't believe they MAKE us come here. Like most here, I visited, looked around and It was ME that suggested re-locating. Of course there are probably better places that I could have moved too (I rather like Nong Khai), but I'm sure it is preferable to have one person who belongs here.

Those that are "under the thumb" here would be "under the thumb" anywhere!

Just to add my tuppence, I have lived all over Thailand and think Isaan is the best, I love it. I live in central Khon Kaen, I don't like the village life, too isolated.

Why would anyone want to live in a village, unless their wife/gf was from one?

Because in a previous life I lived in New York, Montreal, Atlanta, Miami, Hamburg, Munich, Amsterdam, Brussels, Barcelona, Lisboa, Dusseldorf. (and Luxemburg for the last 9 working years of my live, that was almost nice, not for the Luxemburgers though :o )

In fact, I lived the 22 first years of my life in the university town of Leuven, Belguim.

What have they done to my town, Ma?

For no money in the world would I like to spend an other day in my native town.

At last at rest in a small Isaan village, far from the madding crowd :D

Living here is o.k. but I prefer living near a major town to living in the gf's village. If you live more than 50 k from a major shopping area , getting the weekly supplies becomes a bit of a chore. I rent a small room on the edge of KK and this way I always have a bolt hole when I've had enough of cockrels waking me up at the crack of dawn.

[

A generalisation, but I think you more or less nailed it with that paragraph.

At last. Geekfreeklover you, as an individual, has hit the nail on the head. I don't actually think their wives/ girlfriends "make" them come to Isaan. They do it on the basis that they're ignorant and rely on their wives / girlfriends to be guiding them in the right direction, due to their lack of knowledge, as to what they're letting themselves in for. Before coming to Thailand they will announce to all, that will listen, as to their future plans that they're moving to Thailand, thinking that everyone is envious of them. Low and behold, all those so called friends will then ridicule them as to the pitfalls that will become them. Ignoring them, they choose to think they've landed in 'Utopia'. After a few months the bubble bursts. Unfortunately they're too embarrased to admit that they've fcuked up, and accept life that's thrown at them in Isaan as being great. The reasoning behind this is because that we have one thing in common with the Thais in that we don't like to lose face.

Please don't take the above as a dig at all, but in general. I think Geekfreeklover to be correct. The reason why I say that is because what I've written is exactly as told to me by a guy that fits the description in my post.

Edited by coventry