Alligator Gar

McFarang

I hope not, the one in my pond at home is only half a metre. You would be too scared to walk past if it was that size. I would be a bit dubious hauling that over the side of the boat as well, imagine what the teeth on it are like!!!!

I hope not, the one in my pond at home is only half a metre. You would be too scared to walk past if it was that size. I would be a bit dubious hauling that over the side of the boat as well, imagine what the teeth on it are like!!!!

For some reason they don't get as big, not sure if there are different species/crossbreedsor it's just the climate etc does not suit them so well.

• 2 weeks later...

They don't grow that big, but here is a nice size Gar that I caught yesterday out of Sawai Lake in Phuket.

What was interesting is that it was my first cast, bait had been in the water about 2 mins and it took it. Even better was that it was on breadflake!

post-33552-1271660595_thumb.jpg

They don't grow that big, but here is a nice size Gar that I caught yesterday out of Sawai Lake in Phuket.

What was interesting is that it was my first cast, bait had been in the water about 2 mins and it took it. Even better was that it was on breadflake!

Are these good eating?

Please tell me where Sawai Lake is on Phuket is that the lake near Isuzu garage on the way to airport.

Thanks

Please tell me where Sawai Lake is on Phuket is that the lake near Isuzu garage on the way to airport.

Thanks

Yep, opposite side of the road to the Isuzu garage. There is a sign at the top the the road entrance for phuket fishing park. Easy to find.

Just watched a documentary on these fish on Discovery.

In North America they used to grow up to 14 feet. Not sure about the Asian version but I have seen specimens up to 6 - 7 feet.

The pet shop on Theprasit Road Jomtien - Fish and Fur - has a 4 foot one in a blue plastic tank barely big enough for it.

The documetary proved these fish are not agressive (unless hooked and dragged into a boat) they only eat food big enough to swallow down a small throat, as they cannot chew and chop like the Alligator they are named after.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think you can get them that big in Thailand but I caught this 30+ KG beauty at Dreamlake in Chiang Mai yesterday. This is my first ever Alligator Gar - but I will be back for more... I'm told they don't get much bigger than this in Thailand, so I guess I'm a lucky bugger! :)

1001179e.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I don't think you can get them that big in Thailand but I caught this 30+ KG beauty at Dreamlake in Chiang Mai yesterday. This is my first ever Alligator Gar - but I will be back for more... I'm told they don't get much bigger than this in Thailand, so I guess I'm a lucky bugger! :)

A really nice specimen - well done.

1001179e.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us