The Thai Political Word Thread. ..

Tod Daniels

Daily News has a front-page pic of Red Shirts covering the centre of Bangkok, with the headline: "สลายแดง" I can't figure out if the newspaper is trying to be funny or there's another meaning of สลาย which has escaped me.......

สลาย means disperse or break up the crowd here.

Here is an audio line from the radio that contains Thai words salaai and chumnum.

My translation is:

now there is not yet a tendency to have idea to disperse the protest group by force.

salaai_chumnum.mp3

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone now what the Thai word (sounds like)“po ra gaw” is? I can’t find it, but I have reason to believe it is some sort of emergency measure written into law that can used during periods of civil unrest.

My crude translation of audio is:

lose face prime minister think that hand use announcement “po ra gaw” already

TIA

po_ra_gaw.mp3

In English we might describe the current situation as 'mob rule'. Is there a current Thai equivalent?

กฎหมู่ perhaps.

Anyway, one of the most-common terms for protest demonstrations in general is มอ็บ (loanword, from "mob").

Anyone now what the Thai word (sounds like)"po ra gaw" is? I can't find it, but I have reason to believe it is some sort of emergency measure written into law that can used during periods of civil unrest.

lose face prime minister think that hand use announcement "po ra gaw" already

TIA

po_ra_gaw.mp3

Sounds like พ.ร.บ. - พระราชบัญญัติ to me.

Thanks for the answers.

As the story develops here a few words I picked out of a news cast today.

ฉีดน้ำ squirt water

ยิงกระสุนยาง shoot rubber bullet

แก๊สน้ำตา tear gas

บาดเจ็บ injured, wounded

บุก to penetrate; invade; overrun; advance by force

กองทัพ army; fighting forces; force; troops; armed forces

เผชิญ  to confront; face; brave; meet

เวที  stage , arena , center

แกนนำ leadership core; leaders

ปักหลัก to settle down; take root (I think it was used in conjunction with sitting down in the street and blocking it.)

Anyone now what the Thai word (sounds like)"po ra gaw" is? I can't find it, but I have reason to believe it is some sort of emergency measure written into law that can used during periods of civil unrest.

lose face prime minister think that hand use announcement "po ra gaw" already

TIA

po_ra_gaw.mp3

"If the prime minister thinks that, since 'paw raw gaw' has (already) been announced,..."

หาก นายกรัฐมนตรี คิด ว่า เมื่อ ประกาศ ใช้ พ.ร.ก. แล้ว

พ.ร.ก. is some type of decree, not sure what.

พ.ร.ก. = พระราชกำหนด (phraH raatF chaH gamM nohtL) meaning "Royal Ordinance". (This type of act should be contrasted with พระราชกฤษฎีกา

"phraH raatF chaH gritL saL deeM gaaM" meaning "Royal Decree" and "พระราชบัญญัติ (phraH raatF chaH banM yatL) meaning a "Royal Act")

In this context the specific พระราชกำหนด referred to is "พ.ร.ก.สถานการณ์ฉุกเฉิน" (phaawM raawM gaawM saL thaanR naH gaanM chookL cheernR) or a "Declaration of a State of Emergency".

For more information in Thai see http://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B8%9E%E0%...%B8%99%E0%B8%94

The Royal Institute Dictionary defines "พระราชกำหนด" as

บทบัญญัติแห่งกฎหมายที่พระมหากษัตริย์ทรงตราขึ้นโดยอาศัยอำนาจบริหาร ให้ใช้บังคับดังเช่นพระราชบัญญัติในกรณีฉุกเฉินที่มีความจำเป็นรีบด่วนอันมิ อาจหลีกเลี่ยงได้ เพื่อประโยชน์ในการรักษาความปลอดภัยของประเทศ หรือความปลอดภัยสาธารณะ หรือความมั่นคงในทางเศรษฐกิจของประเทศ หรือป้องปัดภัยพิบัติสาธารณะ หรือในกรณีมีความจำเป็นต้องมีกฎหมายเกี่ยวด้วยการภาษีอากรหรือเงินตรา ซึ่งจะต้องได้รับการพิจารณาโดยด่วนและลับ เพื่อรักษาประโยชน์ของแผ่นดิน.

My translation is:

"A legal act or regulation which the monarch enacts in his administrative role and which is given legal effect. Examples include “Declarations of Emergency” which are necessary, immediate, and unavoidable for the benefit of and maintaining the safety of the nation; for public safety; for national economic security; to prevent public disasters; or, in any other event in which it is necessary to have laws regarding taxation or currency. These events require immediate consideration and secrecy for the public good throughout the land."

Any corrections are welcome.

Back to some fruit metaphors, this is from Khom Chat Luk (คมชัดลึก) website:

(http://www.komchadluek.net/detail/20100202/46858/%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3,%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%A1,%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B8%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%99.html)

คมชัดลึก : ให้ถือว่าเป็นเรื่องขำๆ เล็กๆ ก็แล้วกันนะครับ เมื่อ คุณทักษิณ ชินวัตร พูดตั้งแต่เรื่องที่ว่าทหารไทยอาจจะเหมือนแตงโมที่เป็นสีเขียวข้างนอกแต่เนื้อในเป็นสีแดง

บางคนที่อ่านทวิตเรื่องนี้ก็เสนอความเห็นกลับมาทันทีว่า ทำไมคุณทักษิณ ไม่มองว่าทหารไทยอาจจะเป็นทุเรียนก็ได้ ทุเรียนนั้นข้างนอกสีเขียวข้างในสีเหลือง

Khom Chat Luk thinks it’s amusing when Thaksin Shinawatra alleges that the Thai military are like watermelon, that is, they are “green” on the outside and “red” on the inside.

Some Twitter readers of this twit offered their immediate response, “Why doesn’t Thaksin compare the military to ‘durians’ which are green on the outside but yellow in the inside.”

Friends,

I need some help with the following:

"รัฐบาลคงมิอาจที่จะปฏิเสธความรับผิดชอบ การพิสูจน์ว่า ใครเริ่มก่อนมันไม่ใช่ประเด็น แต่ประเด็นอยู่ที่ว่าเมื่อเป็นรัฐบาล ภารกิจหลักคือ ต้องรักษาความสงบเรียบร้อย ต้องไม่ให้พี่น้องคนไทยต้องบาดเจ็บล้มตาย แต่สิ่งที่เกิดขึ้นทั้งหมดมาจากการตัดสินใจผิดพลาดและเดินกับความผิดพลาดมาเรื่อยๆ" นายพรสันต์กล่าว

My rendering would be as follows:

“The government should not absolve itself of its responsibility. Proving who started [the conflict] is not the point; what is the point is that when one is [in control of] the government, its primary function is to maintain peace and order. [The government] should not permit Thai people to be killed or injured. However, all these events arise from bad decisions and the upshot of these decisions continue to be with us”, Mr. Phornsan stated.

Is this a fair conversion into English?

I have never seen phraseology like ". . . ไม่ใช่ประเด็น"; this sounds suspiciously like, " . . . is not the point", an English turn of phrase. What do you think? Is this Enlish or Thai?

Thanks.

Does ยุบสภา only mean 'dissolve parliament'? Or is it 'dissolve parliament for new elections'? I almost feel the second is always implied when the word is used . . .

How do I say 'anti-government propaganda' and 'pro-government propaganda'?

And 'police state'?

In English we might describe the current situation as 'mob rule'. Is there a current Thai equivalent?

กฎหมู่ perhaps.

Anyway, one of the most-common terms for protest demonstrations in general is มอ็บ (loanword, from "mob").

I've seen กฎม็อป.

(notice my spelling of mob)

I've seen กฎม็อป.

Sorry, I meant to type ม็อบ, for the loanword "mob."

ม็อป is the common spelling for the loanword "mop."

I've seen กฎม็อป.

Sorry, I meant to type ม็อบ, for the loanword "mob."

ม็อป is the common spelling for the loanword "mop."

Although it is quite possible that Thai people can't spell their own loanwords, a google search on ม็อป will show it being used for both mops and mobs. I think I also saw it on thai2english.com, but its down right now (again) so can't verify.

Also, anyone know how to say 'civil rights movement'?

"Also, anyone know how to say 'civil rights movement'?"

My best guess would be:

การรณรงค์์เพื่อสิทธิของประชาชน

I've asked around a bit and got these two:

การเคลื่อนไหวของประชะชน

สิทธิในการเคลื่อนไหวของประชะชน

Also, for 'pro-government propaganda', I got นโยบาย . . . but I think its more of a set of posted policies, versus being an advertisement to make the government look good. Similar but not quite . . .

Daily News has a front-page pic of Red Shirts covering the centre of Bangkok, with the headline: "สลายแดง" I can't figure out if the newspaper is trying to be funny or there's another meaning of สลาย which has escaped me.......

สลาย means disperse or break up the crowd here.

Here is an audio line from the radio that contains Thai words salaai and chumnum.

My translation is:

now there is not yet a tendency to have idea to disperse the protest group by force.

salaai_chumnum.mp3

Haven't been able to hear the audio, but my understanding is that การสลายตัว can be a voluntary dispersal, or in the present context, a tactic whereby smaller groups go to different locations. N. B. the following อัยการฟ้องศาลสั่งเสื้อแดงสลายตัวแยกราชประสงค์นปช.ยื่นแย้งสวนทันควัน from http://paidoo.net/same/อัũ...;ัน

ไม่จ้าง กูมาเอง - Not hired. I came myself

Add any ones you come across, they really are quite good as headbands go.

In my post, Red Shirts in Bangkok: Signs of the Time, Kaewmala translated a similar band, ไม่ต้องจ้าง, กูมาเอง as: Not hired, I fricking came on my own.

Edited by desi

Some more words I've heard used.

ผลักดัน push forward; advance; carry forward; push on

ผู้บัญชาการตำรวจนครบาล Commander of municipal police

ปกครอง govern; rule; administer; administrate

มาตรการ (N) measure

มาตรา section; code; article; clause; provision

สื่อสาร to communicate

คัดค้านคำสั่ง to oppose an order

หลักฐาน evidence

ยุติ end; terminate; cease; finish; stop; come to an end; wind up; culminate

I believe the full name is is "กรมทหารราบที่ 11 รักษาพระองค์ (ร.11 รอ.)"

"กรม" in this context means "regiment of soldiers" (See Lexitron). And, I believe the translation, adapted from Domnern-Sathienpong is

"11th Infantry Regiment, H.M. The King's Bodyguard"

Edited by DavidHouston

I believe the full name is is "กรมทหารราบที่ 11 รักษาพระองค์ (ร.11 รอ.)"

"กรม" in this context means "regiment of soldiers" (See Lexitron). And, I believe the translation, adapted from Domnern-Sathienpong is

"11th Infantry Regiment, H.M. The King's Bodyguard"

Thank you. I've heard it several times on the radio, but couldn't remember it. It helps to see it in print.

How would I translate 'jury', as in a court?

Looking it up I see these, not sure which is the best to use . . .

1 คณะกรรมการผู้พิจารณาการให้รางวัลและการตัดสิน

2 คณะตุลาการ

3 คณะลูกขุน

Preferably a short easy one to remember :)

Here's a good one from the new stickers which sprang up around Silom.

ประธานาธิบดี ทักษิณ ชินวัตร

ประมุข รัฐไทยใหม่

President Thaksin Shinawatra

Leader (of the) New State of Thailand

At the bottom is นปช. although they deny it's them. Another 'third hand', or มือสาม I guess.

Christ with all the new colors "coming out" this week as far as political affiliation, soon I'm not even gonna be able to wear my black KISS band t-shirts. .. :)

post-26360-1271830667_thumb.jpg

Edited by tod-daniels

Here's a good one from the new stickers which sprang up around Silom.

ประธานาธิบดี ทักษิณ ชินวัตร

ประมุข รัฐไทยใหม่

President Thaksin Shinawatra

Leader (of the) New State of Thailand

At the bottom is นปช. although they deny it's them. Another 'third hand', or มือสาม I guess.

I recently learned the reason why these stickers are so inflammatory. The term ประมุข is usually only used for the King:

ระบอบประชาธิปไตยอันมีพระมหากษัตริย์ทรงเป็นประมุข

A democratic system with the King as Head of State

Only if Thaksin and friends wanted to make themselves look really bad would they ever publish these stickers . . . The PAD and pro-PAD media have been trying to paint Thaksin as anti-King for a long time, even publishing headline articles that he was secretly planning to overthrow the King in a coup. He sued them for libel, they then accused him of suppressing the press, and thats history . . .

How would I translate 'jury', as in a court?

Looking it up I see these, not sure which is the best to use . . .

1 คณะกรรมการผู้พิจารณาการให้รางวัลและการตัดสิน

2 คณะตุลาการ

3 คณะลูกขุน

Preferably a short easy one to remember :)

1 คณะกรรมการผู้พิจารณาการให้รางวัลและการตัดสิน Committee

2 คณะตุลาการ judges i.e. a group of them

3 คณะลูกขุน jury

Friends,

Here is a new phrase for me: “กระดานเผชิญหน้า”; this seems to mean “barricades”. The French in Paris use paving stones; the Thais use bamboo stakes.

Here is the context in which I found the phrase:

ดูเหมือนเป็นธรรมเนียมของการประท้วงในเมืองไทย เมื่อใดที่กลุ่มผู้ประท้วงต้องเผชิญกับทหาร (หรือตำรวจ) ผู้นำก็จะขึ้นมาประกาศเสียงดัง ให้ได้ยินทั้งในหมู่ผู้ประท้วงและทหาร-ตำรวจที่ยืนเรียงแถวหน้ากระดานเผชิญหน้า ว่าเจ้าหน้าที่เหล่านั้นล้วนเป็นลูกหลานของพวกเรา จิตใจของเขาอยู่ฝ่ายเรา แต่ต้องทำไปตามคำสั่งเท่านั้น

It seems normal at Thai protests that whenever the protestors confront solders (or the police), the leadership has to get up and announce, loud enough for both the protestors and the military who are lining the barricades to hear, that the soldiers and policemen are our brothers and sisters, nieces and nephews; their hearts and minds are on our side, but they are duty bound to obey their orders.

(the translation is mine)

I would appreciate any corrections or comments. Thanks.