Gift For Thai Mother Inlaw

dazk

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hangman's Noose !!!

Kidding..... more to go on would be helpful, this might turn into a sticky topic - but it helps to know the social economic status of a person when choosing a present....

Would she appreciate a decent bottle of wine ? / Cookbook ? / Something from Jim Thompson / Shawl etc etc etc..

Or for a First meeting, something simple but respectful like a Fruit basket (or Thai Equivalent) might be appropriate....

I find middle aged Thai ladies like all things Thai........I once suggested I buy a very smart but reserved Thai 'silk' top for the mother in law......surprisingly my wife agreed it was a good choice and a good idea.....the mother in law would appreciate and wear the top for special occasions........it cost all of 500 baht.

On that basis ask your wife/girlfriend and possibly wait until you get to Bangkok and buy something Thai that is useful.........could throw in a hello kitty T shirt as a bit of fun!!!

just my experience.....but every one is different..... :) .

If from Issan then give gold ( 1baht, if less may not appreciate)

The rest - give something from your country eg. chocolate, perfume, wine, sausage, etc but bought in your country.

Money is expected at other times but not as a gift. When you visit and you notice something broken like a water heater, frigerator then offer to replace. Always give within your means. You may always be expected to match last visits gift.

she does not have money, supported by her daughter.

would like to take something from the uk as gift

This is a completely different Culture, Thais don;t generally look at things the same way you would..

Go with the money, she'll like it & you more than anything you could bring from home, i'm sure..

I find middle aged Thai ladies like all things Thai........I once suggested I buy a very smart but reserved Thai 'silk' top for the mother in law......surprisingly my wife agreed it was a good choice and a good idea.....the mother in law would appreciate and wear the top for special occasions........it cost all of 500 baht.

On that basis ask your wife/girlfriend and possibly wait until you get to Bangkok and buy something Thai that is useful.........could throw in a hello kitty T shirt as a bit of fun!!!

Thanks for the idea 473geo will get some chocs from uk and go shopping in bkk for something with the wife

Thanks for the idea 473geo will get some chocs from uk and go shopping in bkk for something with the wife

Just interested and dont take this the wrong way but how did you get married without meeting the mother?

And if she's prepared to let you marry her daughter without meeting you then buy her anything!!! She wont care

she was not happy with her daughter but is looking forward to meeting me, not sure what she is looking forward to though!!!

And if she's prepared to let you marry her daughter without meeting you then buy her anything!!! She wont care

she was not happy with her daughter but is looking forward to meeting me, not sure what she is looking forward to though!!!

That depends on WHERE you met her daughter!!!

I'd say take her down the gold shop and let her select something about 1 baht's worth...this is if you want get into the MiL's good graces...

if you don't give a shit then bring her some junk trinket from your home country...the gift giving intention is a western concept and ain't worth shit in Asia...gold talks, bullshit walks... :)

my MiL doesn't expect anything from me but because I like her and want to show her that I care about her I'll do the gold number when the time comes...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Just interested and dont take this the wrong way but how did you get married without meeting the mother?

What do you mean without meeting the mother

What do you mean without meeting the mother

You said going to meet the mother in law. Did you mean going to visit the mother in law? Have you met her before?

No i have not met here before this is first time

For average Thai people it is very unusual to not meet the parents inlaw before you married, if they are poor people most gifts will end up in a corner between the chickens and the pig running around.

My advise buy some food buy some whiskey give her some gold or money in a enveloppe and they all love you very BIG :) .

Good luck and enjoy,

I'd say take her down the gold shop and let her select something about 1 baht's worth...this is if you want get into the MiL's good graces...

if you don't give a shit then bring her some junk trinket from your home country...the gift giving intention is a western concept and ain't worth shit in Asia...gold talks, bullshit walks... :)

my MiL doesn't expect anything from me but because I like her and want to show her that I care about her I'll do the gold number when the time comes...

just to advise that prompted by this thread I took the MiL down to the local gold shop today where she selected a 1 baht gold chain...just watching the delight on her face made it worth it; she's 65 y.o. and raised 6 kids mostly on her own and no one has ever given her anything...still works outdoors everyday and her grandchildren adore her...

now I'm thinkin' about divorcing the wife and proposing marriage... :D

My first proposal to the mil was she take her daughter back, she and fil took 30 seconds to reject my suggestion (this was after knowing her for a year or so). Initially take a large basket of fruit, etc with add on, of chocolate/jams etc from home. Once you get to know her, you will be able to come up with something without our input. MIL and or future mil seem to be the best of the Thai family in my limited experience.

Correct, anything not gold or money will be a huge disappointment for her and your wife.

So going to see her the first time in your live and give her chocolates from the UK :D which wil be chocolate milk wrapped in paper the moment you arrived there would not be appriciated by all include your wife.

just to advise that prompted by this thread I took the MiL down to the local gold shop today where she selected a 1 baht gold chain...just watching the delight on her face made it worth it; she's 65 y.o. and raised 6 kids mostly on her own and no one has ever given her anything...still works outdoors everyday and her grandchildren adore her...

Its good to see that posters' advice is right - money or gold is the way to the MIL's heart - or at least, her good graces.

Its good to see that posters' advice is right - money or gold is the way to the MIL's heart - or at least, her good graces.

Just do it OP, makes your life easy.

(16-18 April F1 Shanghai) :D

Just do it OP, makes your life easy.

(16-18 April F1 Shanghai) :D

Yes, can't wait! Wish it was next weekend....