1.3 million Passengers Expected At Suvarnabhumi During Songkran

1.3mn passengers expected at Suvarnabhumi during Songkran

BANGKOK (NNT) -- General Manager of Suvarnabhumi Airport Nirandra Theeranartsin is confident the mass rally will not affect the number of passengers traveling during Songkran Hoildays.

Mr Nirandra said over 1.3 million passengers are expected at Suvarnabhumi Airport from 9-18 April during the festival. Domestic and foreign airlines are asking for more flight visits during the 10 days period. Out of the additional 558 flights, 486 are international and 72 are domestic.

Compared to the same period of last year, the number of passengers is expected to increase by 3.74%. Out of the total, 75%, or about 980,000 passengers are from overseas while the rest are domestic passengers.

Domestic revellers are advised to make their trips to the airport 3-4 hours in advance due to a large number of people during the period.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-04-06

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

seening will be believing -- this is a typical upsell - from sources i have in the tourism and hospitality sector there has been a huge amount of cancellations due to the present situation and the whole world knows of the problems (major feature on BBC and Aust news -) etc - and who can for get about what occured during songkran last year and most have opted to stay home or visit other destination - the problems in the south dont help much even thought places like phuket and sumai seem safe for now - but images of the airport closure at phuket are still fresh in peoples minds -- all the major hotels in the city center have experienced large - group and FIT cancellations and cant expect to see booking improve in the forseeable future - even condsidering offering major incentive packages -- 2 for one - up grades - etc--- but thats not going to gain peoples confidence in security and if they cant shop or move around the city in confidence - well forget it

seems no matter where u go the red mob are there -- north - etc --- well be interesting to read eventually the actual number of arrivals over the next week -- but for sure will be well short of the so call predicted numbers --

His numbers are probably close to correct.Of the 1.3Million,1Million will be departing! :)

So true!! our neighbours, a doctor, his wife and 3 children have left for Australia, coming back AFTER Songkran... I know several other people both Thai and farang who are fleeing the country during Songkran.

His numbers are probably close to correct.Of the 1.3Million,1Million will be departing! :D

So true!! our neighbours, a doctor, his wife and 3 children have left for Australia, coming back AFTER Songkran... I know several other people both Thai and farang who are fleeing the country during Songkran.

And the rest will probably be the protestors. :)

Well I hope someone tells the General Manager that it has affected the number of travellers. I for one and a freind makes 2 had planned to travel but due to what's going on in Thailand at the moment we aint and have postponed.