A Sick Freind!

brianmarinus

Hi!

Thanks again,Kandahar,you are so right-evry one who need help should get help,even they have another opinion then you.

I must edmit that when I read his reply,I was a litle angry-becourse...I know what you and your wife are doing,for those two guys,,,and I know,what Suphaphon(my woman) and I, are doing/but as you say,eny one has there right, to have a opinion of there own.

I just can stop thinking...what a great man you are...realy,Kandahar..you are,for sure,and I am greatfull,to meet you.

I know that you are not in need/but anyway,you step up,for those who are in need/you dont laid back and think/that is non of my consirn-you dont think-I am ok-fuc_k the rest-you are so helpfull,kind and full of respect, for other people and their lifes.

Thanks,for being,my freind.!

About,cmjantje-dont thing to much about it-I dont-thats the real wold...different opinions,and thats ok. for me-I am just greatfull,that I dont are in need, and must relay on his help.

Have a nice day,every one-and take care.

Brian

A different opinion surfaces yet again.

I am NOT a great man, Brian. Great men/women devote themselves to their fellow man. I don't. I'm selfish enough to pursue the things I want in life, for myself. I do incorporate a little bit of helping into my daily routine but that is not the whole of who I am. My character is full of flaws, as are the characters of most people. You can't judge me by these few acts evident in this thread. I'm just another dude, my friend. And often, when I try to help, I find that my actions, while well-intentioned, caused an outcome that made things worse, not better.

Brian, all of us contribute, in different ways throughout the year, to making the world a better place. That is what we are expected to do if we don't want to see the world become a cesspool. We aren't great when we do that. We are just meeting the minimum positive requirements needed to qualify for the definition of "Humanity". The more that people do this, the less any one person will appear "great" for meeting those minimum standards. Lots of people do what you and I do.

We are in good company.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ nadtadida1:

The words you are using tell me more about you than about me. I don't think anybody is waiting for telling names on a forum.

@Kandahar:

Come visit my neighbors, fellow. Come see if I help

No I would Love to visit This man:

This guy I know doesn't have enough money to feed his family. He can't afford a bicycle. He can't afford his rent and it is cheap. He has a new baby to raise and there is no way he can do it without begging help from his people at home. If he broke a finger, he couldn't take care of the bill. He's an idiot.

I Am a lucky man, respected by both the family and the neighborhood also because I respect them too.

I take care of my neighbors, they are my Thai family, without being "The Rich Farang". I teach English in both Wat and Government school with a lot of pleasure. Also the students Love me. Here people can always count on me. Also in the middle of the night to bring them to the hospital.

Talking about hospitals.. Normally I visit the first help post here in our baan. For serious things I go to the Government hospital near Wiang Chai. More clean than e.g. university hospital in CM. The nurses and doctors take their time to help you and the price to pay? A small percentage of what you pay at e.g. Overbrook.

I am a lawyer Always helping people on various forums. On one of them BM posted this:

Hi!

I dont know the things exact,but my woman told me todat,that the bank phoned us about a health care insurance-we go and talk to them tomorrow-but she told me,that I can get it trough the bank for about 20.000 baht pr. year-And can can for sure told you,that it it ok.I have a freind who is in hospital now,whitout a insurrance-and it is expensive-he must move from the private hospital to the puplic,becourse it was to expensive-27000 baht for 3 days.

I have another freind here-he have the same trough the bank-but ofcourse, there are other ways.

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/thailand-...-insurance.html

Brian

This was yesterday 03.22.

To quote him from earlier posts:

I also told before that he have the required mony to be here,but the cost of hospitals bills have ruin him-he was first 3 days in Overbrooke and that cost 27000 THB and now he have a bill nearly 40.000 THB. which we are going to pay tomorrow-so the 65000 THB.

But as I told before... people don't read anymore. They look.

Nobody can blame me for reading carefully and make my, lawyer based, conclusions.

I rest my case.

Edited by cmjantje

Sorry I cannot resist to reply.

If you want to make this forum in a forum of the circumstances of the few people YOU know who are in that situation... be my guest. If not... just help the ones you know... also your neighbor!

THe world is made of a few people over and over. This topic has shown how a couple of peoples lives have been mad a little better by the actions of a few here. It would be nice if this could be repeated many times. Maybe the world would be a better place.

@ nadtadida1:

The words you are using tell me more about you than about me. I don't think anybody is waiting for telling names on a forum.

@Kandahar:

Come visit my neighbors, fellow. Come see if I help

No I would Love to visit This man:

This guy I know doesn't have enough money to feed his family. He can't afford a bicycle. He can't afford his rent and it is cheap. He has a new baby to raise and there is no way he can do it without begging help from his people at home. If he broke a finger, he couldn't take care of the bill. He's an idiot.

I Am a lucky man, respected by both the family and the neighborhood also because I respect them too.

I take care of my neighbors, they are my Thai family, without being "The Rich Farang". I teach English in both Wat and Government school with a lot of pleasure. Also the students Love me. Here people can always count on me. Also in the middle of the night to bring them to the hospital.

Talking about hospitals.. Normally I visit the first help post here in our baan. For serious things I go to the Government hospital near Wiang Chai. More clean than e.g. university hospital in CM. The nurses and doctors take their time to help you and the price to pay? A small percentage of what you pay at e.g. Overbrook.

I am a lawyer Always helping people on various forums. On one of them BM posted this:

Hi!

I dont know the things exact,but my woman told me todat,that the bank phoned us about a health care insurance-we go and talk to them tomorrow-but she told me,that I can get it trough the bank for about 20.000 baht pr. year-And can can for sure told you,that it it ok.I have a freind who is in hospital now,whitout a insurrance-and it is expensive-he must move from the private hospital to the puplic,becourse it was to expensive-27000 baht for 3 days.

I have another freind here-he have the same trough the bank-but ofcourse, there are other ways.

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/thailand-...-insurance.html

Brian

This was yesterday 03.22.

To quote him from earlier posts:

I also told before that he have the required mony to be here,but the cost of hospitals bills have ruin him-he was first 3 days in Overbrooke and that cost 27000 THB and now he have a bill nearly 40.000 THB. which we are going to pay tomorrow-so the 65000 THB.

But as I told before... people don't read anymore. They look.

Nobody can blame me for reading carefully and make my, lawyer based, conclusions.

I rest my case.

Still no apology then????

And still you carry on dissing Brian you sad individual.

This says more about you than any words but because you are a lawyer it sort of makes sense :D

You have ruined this thread with your unhelpful jibes and uncaring attitude,AND I AM SO GLAD YOUR STUDENTS LOVE YOU :) so YOU say???

I will not post about you any more,your posts themselves sum your character up nicely thank you.

Good luck guys! :D

Missed my visit yesterday. Was just too tired after working in the sun all day. Went to bed early.

Saw both guys early this morning. ImageDude got through his surgery okay. He's looking good but a little tired. He will bounce back pretty quick, I think. His mind is right for this thing and that is half of the battle.

Carsten looked good this morning. He is a little sad because he has been moved back into the big "bay" type room and he gets to watch several of his room-mates die each day. But he is scheduled to go into a small private or semi private room as soon as one becomes available. That will help his outlook, a lot.

Carsten also received the results of the biopsy for the left lung yesterday. Bad news. The docs are studying the treatment options for that. We'll see which way they go. Any way they choose is challenging for the patient.

I'll try to get in for a visit again this evening.

Edited by kandahar

The wife and I had time to make two visits to the fellows today, one in the morning and one in the evening.

Carsten's quarters are improved and it is a good thing, as the bad news he is confronted with got a little worse yesterday afternoon. He is facing the future bravely enough. He has some bad times, but overall, he is ready for the fight.

Brian and his wife have had some success in finding a few others to help with the care that Carsten needs. Carsten needs a little more hands-on care than some of the other patients and the staff can't do it all. Brian and his wife, as tired as they are from their efforts and their travel, have continued their efforts to do what they can to provide comfort and care to their friend and they have some great successes. Carsten's situation would be so much more dire if he did not have their unflagging support. For a newly-wed couple, trying to start their life together, the toll has been great but neither of them is willing to walk away from a friend in need. I am amazed at the depth of their commitment and the depth of their generosity. Two truly magnificent people.

ImageDude has weathered his surgery well and is moving forward at a good pace, doing a little more every day. He went through his first physical therapy session and did fine. He will only get stronger as the days pass. He is a particularly strong man, inside, where it counts. I have known a few that have gone through what he is going through and some of them have taken a long time to come to terms with the facts and begin to face their future. Not ImageDude. He has faced it, accepted it, and is intent on putting this chapter behind him and getting on with life. He doesn't wait for the physical therapist. He does what he can in his bed and in his room. He is as active as he can be under the circumstances. That bodes well for a quick, full recovery. He isn't content to just "heal". He is intent on becoming as active as life will allow him to be. He will succeed.

Edited by kandahar

Hi!

Cant sleep...thinking about my freind in hospital.

We got the message,that Carsten have cancer in 3.stadium,and they wont to give him kemo-bot that threatment cost about 700.000 baht,and we cant get that kind of mony.which we where forced to tell the docs-who then concluded that whit out the kemo,Carsten will have between 3-6 month left of his life.

They will continue whit give him morfin and so,but thats all they can do.

It is so frustrating, and feels like giving up a good freind-but we cant do eny more now,then give him what he need, and the best for him,this last time he have left-but it is a though one.!

I really dont know how,but we will get trouhg this-some how,but right now,it ias a hard time,I think,for all of us,who try to help Carsten.

I wont you to know,that you guys in here,have been a wonderfull support,in this time-thanks,for that.!!!

Remember this:

To love,is to live.

To live,is to give.

To give,is making happyness.!

Have a good time,and once again,thanks,for your support in here.!

Brian

Every time I read a thread like this I can't help be reminded that there is a reason that Thai Immigration requires 800,000 / 400,000 THB, or 65,000 THB per month income for extending your visa

So you will have the money to go home if it becomes necessary

Good point!

No, not convincing at all, those events are so rare that the "Head Immigration Dept" would not give it a moments thought,

If the 'Immigration Dept' was concerned about expats inability to pay for their journey home (in emergency or otherwise) then they would ask for a deposit of say 100K THB to be placed into a special "Immigration Dept deposit A/c" managed by a Thai Bank (with no interest of course) as part of the visa application rules.

this is of course not the case but might be applicable in future to help the economy a little.

The current immigration rules (in this field) are applicable in order to ensure that the presence of expats in this country have no negative financial aspects on a day to day basis, no more, no less.

The two fellows have seen some progress in the last few days.

ImageDude just keeps moving forward. He has some bad moments and hours but he doesn't let that get him down. Physically and medically, he is improving. Mentally, he is sharp, strong and optimistic. It is always a joy for me to see him.

Carsten has improved. He's not well but he is better than before. Lots of drama caused by hospital staff bickering about what to do with him has caused him some grief, as well as causing lots of grief for Brian. In the course of just a few hours yesterday, Carsten went from being told that he was being thrown out without further treatment, to being directed to go ahead with further treatment and then to being thrown out immediately again. He was then told that he wouldn't be thrown out no matter what happened. Shortly after being told that, he was told, again, that he had to leave. The back and forth decisions only caused more stress for him. He had NOWHERE to go and he hasn't the strength to walk or stand. The devastation he suffered upon learning, the first, second and third time, that he would be evicted that day was preventable and uncalled for. He has been a very cooperative patient and has done nothing to bring any of this on himself.

The staff has, of course, put Brian in the middle of everything and left it to Brian to inform Carsten of the changes as they occurred. Brian is a strong man but by noon, he had had it and was on the phone with his embassy people once again, sans patience and kind language. This time, he talked to someone that offered help and, as of today, it looks like some help may be forthcoming but that isn't for certain yet. At this point, there is one embassy personnel having conversations with hospital administrators and Brian intends to disappear from the hot-seat for a while. Hopefully, the embassy staff can nail down a firm commitment from the hospital and the back and forth crap will stop.

Brian's wife has had her hands full with the fight to keep Carsten in a facility that can provide the care he needs. Each time the decision was made to evict him, Brian's wife went in search of any person of authority who could reverse that decision. She succeeded each time, until the last time, which is the point where Brian made the not-so-nice phone call to the embassy. At this moment, an uneasy truce holds as the embassy staff talks with the hospital staff and the foreign minister in Denmark.

Under threat of the eviction, Brian has pursued other options for a care facility for Carsten. By all accounts, there is no such place in CR. However, several TV members, including "Harry", has suggested a facility in CM. Brain has contacted that facility and, if all efforts fail at the CR hospital, efforts will be made to move Carsten to CM.

We will see what tomorrow brings.

Edited by kandahar

Hi!

Thanks,for your support and kindness.!

Yes, it is sad,that thinks have to be so,but as MR.Kandahar,say-we have to stop,letting the hospital make those games whit us and time after time,put us in bad positions-so after today,I told my woman-if the hospital wont to know enything about Carsten,they have to ask,at the Embasy.

I talk whit the Danish Embasy yesterday,and told her to contact the hospital-and talk-whit a doc,not just a nurce,and make a deal whit them,they cant run away from-so we and Carsten,dont have to be forced to look,at a new situation,every day,we come to the hospital.

We called hospital late last evening,to here about, how Carsten was,after the kemo-but first,at that time,they was giving him the kemo-so we must see today,how he is.Hopefully,ok.!

Brian

Carsten has stopped eating. He had chemo several days ago and it knocked him flat. He hasn't eaten since. I asked the staff tonight why he wasn't on an IV. They reported that he can't have an IV because it will contribute to the amount of fluid in his lungs and he has too much already.

He isn't going to eat. He isn't going to the care center in CM. He isn't going to allow any more chemo or any other treatment.

There comes a time when a person has had enough.

Edited: Maybe i rephrase this having read the whole thread...

Good to know you guys have been supporting both lads, world needs more people like you. Keep it up and let us know if you manage to organize any collection of funds. I'm sure the expat community would chip in for a good cause like this. Sure i would within my limited means.

Edited by MJo

Carsten had a new doctor looking after him two days ago. The new doc put him on an IV and says the IV will not contribute to the lung problems. Within a couple of hours, Carsten's condition improved, as well as his mental state. He became hungry and began to eat regular food. He smiles now. He even laughs sometimes. He has gone from a dehydrated, starving case of despair to a case of small hope. He says he wants some hotdogs from the 7-Eleven for lunch today. He will get hotdogs.

Brian has tirelessly pursued support from the folks in Denmark. After many false starts, it appears that the last couple of days may be bringing some results. Getting Carsten home to Denmark is no longer a part of the quest but getting some help with his hospital bills is a part of it. Things are looking up for some financial support. Some of the media in Denmark have finally responded to Brain's requests and Carsten's case is getting some attention. Some people there are now making some small contributions. The quality of care that Carsten can afford will surely improve.

I'm very moved by the turn-around in Carsten's case. When Carsten had lost all hope and the dark truth about his circumstances had gotten the best of him and his regular doctors, I shared some of the grief that visited Carsten and Brian. Tears and sadness, accompanied by an overwhelming sense of loss, brought me to the same acceptance of his fate that the others had accepted. That was difficult. It is tough to watch someone who you have grown attached to, submit his resignation from life. It was difficult to learn that the doctors had accepted that decision and were willing to let go. In just two days time, with something so simple as an IV, Carsten has found the will to live. With a newspaper article and a filmed interview with Brian and Carsten, some folks in Denmark have found the will to love. Thanks to the doctor who made the decision to not let a good man starve to death. Thanks to George, a free-lance photographer, reporter and humanitarian from CM for capturing Carsten's story and sending believable evidence of the situation to the media outlets in Denmark. Thanks to Brian, who has spent countless nights writing e-mails and letters to any groups or individuals that he thought might be able to offer some support for a more comfortable, more dignified, last days, weeks or months.

ImageDude continues his progress. He is hopeful that he can leave the full-time care of the hospital and return to his home in less than two weeks. I think he will meet that target. He is looking forward to the resumption of his old life in some ways and new beginnings in other ways. What an optimistic man he is and his optimism is well placed.

If you folks get the chance to visit either of our fellows in that hospital, don't pass it up. A visit with either of them will boost their spirits and yours.

I saw Imagedude a couple of days ago, only a brief Visit because the Doctor and his beautiful wife were with him.

first vist and just as I thought ; I had met him a couple of times previously. It was the same Guy, big smile and cheerful.

I thought to myself, I still wouldn't want to pick a fight with him, physically or verbally :D

I caught him just as they were dressing his leg. from what I saw, I'd guess I'll be able to pick that fight with him in Rico's Bar in no time at all. :D

Didn't see carsten as I didn't think he'd want company at the time, but next time perhaps.

As for the Hospital, Its not as bad as I had feared or heard. I only got to Visit the Cancer ward and it was a shame there were so many people in beds in the Halls and stairwells but they had beds and Care. It seems Visitors, friends and family can camp out just about anywhere also. I'm sure there are plenty of Rooms "free" at the private hospitals , Its a shame they can't offer there vacants rooms , I'm no christian but one of the Hospitals sells itself as one, and it does seem to be the Christain things to do :) . Anyway, I guess it ain't going to happen.

I thought to myself, I still wouldn't want to pick a fight with him, physically or verbally :D

"Even if I lose a fight I will have caused a lot of damage before it happens"

...he said once at Bo's Place

Imagedude didn't lose his spirit, that's for sure!

And he is not going to lose this fight either!

He is the kind of rock You could build a church on!

Limbo :)

PS: You wouldn't say, but Imagedude is an excellent cook as well 555!

... and in verbal fights he uses straight forwards punches.

Heh, it will be good if he goes back to normal life soon.

Thanks for keeping us informed Kandahar!

And my respect for Brian's dedication and perseverance!

Brian reports some good news today concerning the financial burden facing Carsten. The publicity that Carsten's situation is getting in Denmark has led to enough contributions to cover the debt that Carsten has incurred at the hospital up to now. It has also led to some donors offering to pay for Carsten's children to make the trip to Thailand to see their father one last time. Carsten's children have had to watch from afar as this thing has unfolded, as their financial situations have prevented them from making that trip. There is also presently enough money available to make certain that Carsten can get the care that he needs, in a facility that can provide the care.

Carsten has more options now. I don't know if he will move to another facility. Initially, when the hospital was threatening to throw him out, he was reluctant to move. He has some support from friends here that he knows he will lose if he moves. Now that the financial burden isn't consuming his thoughts, we will see what happens.

He is currently in a room with about 40 other guys, pretty much elbow to elbow with patients and visitors. The good thing about that location is, he does get the attention that he needs from the nursing staff. Those girls stay busy and don't shirk their duty. When he was previously put into a private room, he was obviously a burden to that group of staff. He certainly isn't going to want to go back to that unless a caregiver can be assigned to him. I won't go into a lot of detail about his previous private room fiasco but, suffice to say, ringing for a nurse ONE time during the night turned out to be a bad move on his part. I guess when they say that 800 baht a day will get you a room by yourself, in that wing, on that floor, they mean COMPLETELY and ABSOLUTELY by yourself, with no expectation of any nursing staff being needed. He learned his lesson and tried to get out of bed by himself to visit the toilet the next night. He ended up on the floor next to the bed and stayed there for a while. With that said, I will say that other parts of the hospital seem to operate just as any hospital should and people seem to be well taken care of.

Brian is overwhelmed right now, dealing with phone calls and e-mails from Denmark residents, organizations and media outlets. Lots of people are getting involved and trying to make sure that Carsten can at least retain his dignity during this time. Of all the things that Brian tried to accomplish, that is the one thing that kept driving him to get the story out and get some help for Carsten. With the time difference between here and there, he isn't getting much sleep. Of course, he isn't complaining. He is not a complainer. He is a doer and he is doing. He is a hero to me tonight. He has given all he could give to make this happen. Concerning the amount of time that he has given, some of you will recall that he posted here very recently about his new marriage. Well, the newly-wed thing has been on hold for quite a while now as both he and his wife devoted all of their time to this thing. Financially, he has given all he could, all that she could, and some that they couldn't, to help Carsten with the bills. I hope he uses some of the money to get his own ship righted after forking out all that he has in the last month. I think that is the right thing to do and if he does, I would hope that no person would criticize him for it. I think the right thing to do is shift that burden back to those who have volunteered to help Carsten and can better afford to do so.

The prognosis for Carsten's health hasn't changed. I don't think that it will. The prognosis for receiving the proper care has changed and I had doubts that it would. I like good surprises. I really like the kind of surprises that involve other people seeing a true need and filling it. It is a wonderful planet sometimes.

Brian knows that some of you here in Thailand have offered financial help. He appreciates the offers. At the same time, he knows that most of the ThaiVisa crowd here is retired and getting by on their savings or their fixed pensions. He was very reluctant to take money from anyone who has those financial limitations, knowing that some people would do without and that most of them also support extended Thai families. His hope was that people in Carsten's own country would come to the aid of a fellow citizen and that, of those people, it would be people that could afford to give without leaving themselves short. Brian would rather spend from his pocket and be short of money himself than to have anyone else do the same. So, for those of you who have offered, either through your forum post or a private message to Brian, thank you.

For those of you in Denmark, who have begun following this thread because of the recent media attention, thank you for any donations that you have made. Of the many things a person may donate some hard-earned money to, this one happens to be a worthy cause. It is my understanding that the Thai forum in Denmark, in the Danish language, has been inundated with postings referring to Brian's request for help for Carsten as being possibly fraudulent and even going so far as to suggest that Carsten does not exist. Carsten does exist and his health condition is dire. The financial difficulties have been real. I have been privy to some of the discussion with hospital staff members concerning Carsten's financial shortfalls. Those exist and have figured heavily in the treatment and care, or lack thereof, that Carsten has received. Your financial help will make a difference for Carsten during his final days.

Brian is not a fraud. Brian is an honorable man and it is my pleasure and my honor to know him. He is the kind of man that restores our faith in the goodness of mankind. Don't doubt his intentions or his efforts. Be proud that such a man comes from your country. Your country is well represented in Thai society when you have men like Brian coming here and showing us how things ought to be done.

A footnote here. I thought that Brain should write this news tonight. I talked to him about that. He replied that he could, and would, write this but he would rather I did because he is overwhelmed with replying to people who have shown an interest in the situation. If he isn't replying to e-mails, he is talking on his mobile phone with an interested party and his wife is answering her mobile phone and asking the caller to please return the call in a few minutes when Brian is free. Man, the guy is busy. In the past, he has been overwhelmed with getting people interested in the situation and has left the writing here for me. I don't mind doing it. I'm happy to take some pressure off of him.

Overwhelmed. That describes Brian these days. He hasn't been overcome. There is a big difference in the two words. I doubt that he could ever be overcome. Something inside him just wouldn't allow that.

I haven't seen ImageDude for two days. His room was dark when I stopped by yesterday and I didn't want to bother him in case he was asleep. I didn't make it to the hospital at all today. Maybe someone else stopped by and can give an update. Maybe ImageDude will update us. But, I know that ImageDude, like Brian, doesn't figure to let "overcome" into his personal outlook. I doubt that "overwhelm" has much of a chance, either.

Edited by kandahar

I saw Image Dude yesterday. He was a little bit tired because he had started working with the physiologic therapi, starting strenghting his upperbody, started to learn how to use crutches.

He was in good mode but tired. I was there before lunch and he was going to start next pass in the afternoon.

:D:):D

Thanks Kandahar for keeping us all informed. It always seems that it takes a bad situation to highlight the good that people can do. Brian seems to have worked tirelessly to help Carsten.

I'll be in Chiang Rai on the 20th of this month so I'll try and visit if our patients are up for a couple of new faces.

Kandahar, I'll pm you closer the time for details, directions etc. if that's ok?

I can only imagine how hard it must be for both these guys.

Thanks Kandahar for keeping us all informed. It always seems that it takes a bad situation to highlight the good that people can do. Brian seems to have worked tirelessly to help Carsten.

I'll be in Chiang Rai on the 20th of this month so I'll try and visit if our patients are up for a couple of new faces.

Kandahar, I'll pm you closer the time for details, directions etc. if that's ok?

I can only imagine how hard it must be for both these guys.

Indeed, it is okay to PM for that info.

kandahar

Some good news I heard: Good old J. is out of the hospital again.

Some bad news I heard: German K. (teaching English with a slight German accent at a

Tessaban school) went in this time.

Three heavy motorcycle accidents of foreigners in Chiang Rai in about 4 months.

German K. (a regular of the Funny House, t-totaller by the way) got a dog inbetween

his spokes, broke his collarbone (not the dog's but his own), but seems to be suffering

of the consequences of a serious concussion, leading among others to difficulties when

trying to speak.

If K. already took over J.'s bed, who of us is going to take Imagedude's? I understand that if

the joint of his hip co-operates it might be vacant soon.

Is it you, older youngster with your flashy broom-broom two-wheeler?

Finally riding the bike you wished to have had when you were twenty?

Where you think it will happen? What are the three most dangerous spots you regularly pass?

Will it be at one of these where you will burn your lips while kissing the asphalt?

Shouldn't it stop here?

Great to hear that our Danish patient's financial situation improved.

It opens the way to seek for better alternatives than a bed in a free state hospital

in a developing country. For our Danish readers: I don't know if Brian showed pictures

of the situation, but I was one of those who thought that something wasn't right with

his story (I hope his Danish is better than his English ...), but I went to the hospital.

The situation is exactly as described by him and Kandahar in their postings.

The rooms are open and there is about, probably less, than one meter between the beds.

I guess there are 30 to 40 beds in one room.

Every day some patients are rolled out without even noticing it ...

Limbo

PS: Before our dear English friend a couple of years ago exchanged the temporary for the eternal

at his beautiful estate at Doi Tung he was in a kind of out-patient care program of the Overbrook.

Every two or three days a doctor came with a nurse, sometimes joined by a physiotherapist and

contributed with all their experience as much as possible to his well-being.

It was not expensive.

It enabled him to close his eyes for the last time having his beloved Doi Thung still on his retina.

Edited by Limbo

Thanks for the informative post, Limbo. Sorry to hear of your friends having those troubles. I hope everyone heals quickly and I hope they have the support they need each day.

The motorcycle crash rate in this area is very noticeable, isn't it? With motorcycles being the number one form of transportation, it makes sense that the crashes occur so often. I walk a lot in this town and while out walking, I have witnessed a great number of motorcycle spills in my short time here. The good news of that is, almost always, the riders can walk away. The speeds in town usually aren't so great as to cause great harm. In my old country, a fatality usually accompanies a motorcycle wreck. Here in CR, almost every Thai man that I know has his share of scars from such crashes but they survived them. Still, we lose a fair share of good citizens every week.

As for the room where Carsten is these days, his situation did improve a couple of days ago. He finally got a bed next to an outer wall. For quite a while, his bed was in the center walkway of the room, along with several other guys. Everyone who walked by his bed had to bump into it and squeeze by. Even now, being close to a wall, he doesn't enjoy any air-conditioning. The large rooms don't have it. He does have a fan that circulates back and forth between himself and the guy next to him. It helps, but he is still hot, specially during these blazing hot daytime temps. It is too bad his countrymen can't visit him in person. A picture shows a lot but a lot is left out of a picture. I think the average person in Denmark would be horrified by a visit to Carsten right now. For us that have grown accustomed to doing without the amenities, it isn't such a shock.

Edited by kandahar

Hi.!

I just took free from Carstens home page, to have a look in here-hope every one is ok, and having a good time.

Suphaphon and I visit Carsten today,and he was ok-but have some truple whit he s stummick,and he have a woun on he s back,becourse he have laying in bed for so long time-and it hurts alot-try to find some cheep skin to him,but have not been aple to find it.

I have get alot of truple about that collection,I have made for him on facebook.There is some one who claim,that it is all fake,and just for my own pockets.

Then I have get a mail from Danish police who told me,that is alligal,what I have done-but they dont wont to do enything about it-I just have to make a comite-whit a foundraiser,and 3 menbers-and get a registratet accounter to take care of the registration of the income and the bills,to the police-so I have been busy to handle this today.becourse,it must be some one,whit a Danish adress and so.

When all this is done,we can collect,as much,as we wont.

There s now, I think about 800 menbers on he s page-and they have send-96.000 baht to pay,for Carstens hospitals bills and help to the funial-so that is really great help-and most of them,people he had never seen.

I have alot of talking,whit Carsten thise days,and I manage to convinse him, to give permission,to send him back home,when he is dead-to he s brother,who he loves very much.

It was a litle bit tough today-becourse.they all have send letters to him and so-so I write them all down,and read them for Carsten-specialy one he s doughter write to him was hard for us both-it says:

No words I write can never say,how I miss you every day.

As time goes by,the loneliness grows-how I miss you,nobody knows.

I think of you in silence,often speak your name,but all I have, is memories and photos,in a frame.

No one knows my sorrow-no one,sees my weep.

But the love I have for you, is in my heart to keep.

I've never stopped loving you,I am sure,I never will.

Deep inside my heart,you are whit me still.

There is a place, in my heart,that no one else can fill.

I love you DAD, and I allways will.!!!

That was a though one,I think.

Good night,and sleep well.!

See you later.!

Brian

Brian, what you have done, and continue to do, is amazing.

Sadly, when people try and do something good there are people who are suspicious. I know you have made many sacrifices for Carsten and you are acting out of kindness for a fellow human being, I hope, if I'm ever in a situation like Carstens that someone like you will be around.

I'm in London now but will be in Chiang Rai next week, I hope to visit the hospital when I'm there. I'm not sure what I can do but I'd very much like to shake your hand. I think you're a hero.

Carsten is feeling a little better these days. He is smiling and wiggling around in bed and can be fairly animated when he is speaking. Nice improvements over the course of a few days. The financial situation has improved and that alone has lifted his spirits. He spent a lot of time in despair worrying about how the bills would be paid. He is eating well, sleeping a little more than normal and drinking enough fluids to maintain his body. He has no strength to stand but he is gaining a little strength each day.

Some folks are spoiling him a little. He had a few female visitors the other day, none of which he knew, but he was just glad to see some smiling faces. He gets a cheeseburger from outside now and then, as well as hot dogs, Corn Flakes, ice cream and various fruit juices. He has spoken before of a dark bread that he misses from Denmark. He received a loaf of dark bread today and he says it is the very same that he has been missing. He was excited. What a huge grin such a small thing can create in Carsten. Thanks to the Tourist Inn Bakery.

ImageDude is strong. He has had a few setbacks but the leg is healing as it should. A couple of complications not necessarily related to the leg injury are tormenting him right now but the docs are hot on it and should have everything up to par soon. I am always glad to see him. It does me good to see someone who has taken such a hard lick and still maintain their positive outlook. I have known several like him in the past. Some people are just a huge reservoir of internal strength. It is always good to meet the kind of folks that you know could have been the hardy pioneers and explorers of yesteryear. They have the intestinal fortitude to move forward in the face of adversity. ImageDude is one of those. Exceptional. And his time isn't yesteryear. His time is now. If you haven't made his acquaintance yet, make sure you add him to your list of acquaintances soon.

Another person who shares some of those same characteristics is Brian. His docs had to slow him down finally and make him get some sleep. He just couldn't slow down on his own and it was taking a toll. So, he has handed some of the fund-raising duties to some volunteers in Denmark and is starting to enjoy his own life a little bit. He still takes good care of Carsten every day but he sleeps at night now more than he was. Sadly enough, people are still accusing him of fraud and, true to his character, he is shrugging it off and moving forward. I think if you put Brian and ImageDude together in a harness, they could move the world. Brian is moving Demark all by himself.

I have been thinking about something here. There will come a time when Brian can finally get on with his life. As I mentioned before, he is still technically a newlywed. His wife has devoted herself to this thing as fully as Brian has. Each and every day since Carsten first went to the hospital (Overbrook, the first time), Brian and Su have devoted themselves to helping Carsten. Perhaps there are enough of us out there that are willing to give a little back. Maybe we could arrange a weekend get-away at a local resort for them. Two or three days of no responsibility, no cooking, no cleaning, no travelling. Just lay back and enjoy some peace and quiet. Swim. Sleep. Watch a movie or two. Have a nice bottle of wine with dinner.

Nobody owes them anything. I'm not saying we do. I'm only saying, I know what they have given in time, energy, money and more. I don't know anyone that would do what they have done and what they continue to do. It would be nice if something came back to them. It would be nice if it came from us. I have never known anyone that deserves something like this more than these two.

Post your thoughts.

Edited by kandahar

I have been thinking about something here. There will come a time when Brian can finally get on with his life. As I mentioned before, he is still technically a newlywed. His wife has devoted herself to this thing as fully as Brian has. Each and every day since Carsten first went to the hospital (Overbrook, the first time), Brian and Su have devoted themselves to helping Carsten. Perhaps there are enough of us out there that are willing to give a little back. Maybe we could arrange a weekend get-away at a local resort for them. Two or three days of no responsibility, no cooking, no cleaning, no travelling. Just lay back and enjoy some peace and quiet. Swim. Sleep. Watch a movie or two. Have a nice bottle of wine with dinner.

Nobody owes them anything. I'm not saying we do. I'm only saying, I know what they have given in time, energy, money and more. I don't know anyone that would do what they have done and what they continue to do. It would be nice if something came back to them. It would be nice if it came from us. I have never known anyone that deserves something like this more than these two.

Post your thoughts.

I think that is a very good idea.

I am in for a 1000 b. Can arrange that tomorrow at the Hash!

:):D:D

Post your thoughts.

I think that is a very good idea.

I am in for a 1000 b. Can arrange that tomorrow at the Hash!

:D:D:D

Me too, next week :)

Maybe someone has connections with a good resort that would spoil those two and that would extend a discount. People could, anonymously or otherwise, drop off any contribution at the front desk in the name of the cause. I don't have any such connections with a resort in the area. I could arrange something at a couple of hotels downtown but those hotels aren't resort material. A resort would be a nicer weekend for them.

I'm in for 1,000 baht. I don't want to get involved in collecting any money. Better to just drop it off at the resort office. Maybe sign a register, real name or otherwise, and list the amount being given so anyone stopping by can see how much has already been contributed. I can buy a little register or journal to leave at the front desk.

Edited by kandahar