What Do You Want Pm Abhisit To Do Now?

george

What do you want PM Abhisit to do now?  

1304 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No democratically elected prime minister of this country will ever be in charge of the army or police forces due to the special balance of power in Thailand (privy council etc.) ... it is not allowed to say more about it.

Therefore, it is quite ridiculous that the Red Shirts demand Abhisit's head of all people. He's a good and well educated person and has done nothing wrong so far.

There is actually not a lot what he can do now apart from informing the public properly and trying to keep the situation as calm as possible. And if it's correct what the Red Shirts claim that he has been brought into office by the army, then he should just keep his patience and let them deal with the current situation. Why should he have blood on his hands and risk to damage his own reputation ?

It is surely correct that in most democratic countries, this mob would already have been dispersed by means of water canons or tear gas. But then, in most democratic countries the government would have the power to order and enforce such measures. But in Thailand, governments tend to be quite powerless unless they try to overcome old principles and accumulate power on their side. That's what Thaksin tried to do and we all know the outcome ...

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i chose #2 too, but hopefully it wont be too extreme, i dont really want violence.

Well, actually violence might help close down my school tmr, but after tmr i really dont care cuz school is closed anyways.

BTW why do reds have to go unconstitutional during songkran every year...do they feel the need to let me study in peace...if so thats not necessary.

It is unfortunate that the poll doesn't collect data that is vital to understanding how people voted; a) Are you in Thailand and :) Are you in Bangkok. I am certainly willing to be more patient because I am on Phuket. I'm sure, someone in the middle of things would not share that view and it is understandable. I'd probably have a different view if I was suffering the effects.

Outside of the usual hate spewers, there really isn't much of a reason for someone living on Krabi or in Chiang Mai to care since they are not being immediately impacted. Oh sure, there will be the usual but I have family or friends etc., when the family isn't even anywhere near the protests or they haven't spoken to the "friends" in months. The fact is that despite all the talk, the country is still functioning, the key sectors are still humming along, tourists are still arriving in resort areas and the baht is strong. Yes, some parts of Bangkok are hurting, but the country is still strong. Thailand is not collapsing and there is no "anarchy".

And now here's a wildcard scenario: Abhisit throws his hands up in frustration and says, I'll make a unity government. He reaches out to the key components of the Reds and offers them positions in the government. He puts together a coalition that is temporarily untouchable. It achieves 2 purposes; It keeps Thaksin from coming back and it puts Korn and the military in their place. Under this scenario the military wouldn't dare launch a coup and a large number of Reds would drop Thaksin like a hot potato. It's been done in other countries. How could the Reds say no if Abhisit says, hey let's work together?

There are two choices. Either dissolve parliament or have a blood bath. I vote to dissolve parliament and get it over with.

So what are we saying now? Every time a minority of people protest on the streets and threaten violence the country should give in to their demands? Where will this end? No government will ever be able to stay in office is where.

The government should stop pussyfooting around, they have good enough reason to totally clamp down on these uneducated trouble makers.

The countries well being is far too important to let this minority bunch of lazy country bumpkins continue.

So says a hardworking foreigner sitting in the comfort of his own home or an air-conditioned Internet cafe. :)

What difference does it make what people on Thaivisa think?

What do I want Abhisit to do? I want him to put a Sunderland shirt on and give everyone an extra day's holiday tomorrow.

What do I want the red shirts to do? Tidy up the mess and turn out the lights when their party is over.

You probably have a better chance of getting him in a Sunderland shirt than dissolving parliament.

post-22903-1270700883_thumb.jpg

And now here's a wildcard scenario: Abhisit throws his hands up in frustration and says, I'll make a unity government. He reaches out to the key components of the Reds and offers them positions in the government. He puts together a coalition that is temporarily untouchable. It achieves 2 purposes; It keeps Thaksin from coming back and it puts Korn and the military in their place. Under this scenario the military wouldn't dare launch a coup and a large number of Reds would drop Thaksin like a hot potato. It's been done in other countries. How could the Reds say no if Abhisit says, hey let's work together?

Jolly good idea, but you are missing one small aspect of the situation, the reds are paid and controlled by Mr. T and this is the last thing he would want

What difference does it make what people on Thaivisa think?

What do I want Abhisit to do? I want him to put a Sunderland shirt on and give everyone an extra day's holiday tomorrow.

What do I want the red shirts to do? Tidy up the mess and turn out the lights when their party is over. [/ Quote].

You probably have a better chance of getting him in a Sunderland shirt than dissolving parliament.

[/ Quote].

Skunk ... :)

I don't really see how Abhisit or the Military can use force at this juncture. I don't doubt the ability to shut these protests down, but the cost could be too high for the country to bear. Every day that the government stands strong and nobody is injured or killed is a victory.

Either the reds will run out of steam, or they will be caught bombing or firing a grenade, or they will become outwardly aggressive or violent with authorities (more than mere skirmishes). If any of the latter two occurs it will be time to move in. Until such time they must wait.

I dont see the mamas and elderly from Isaan firing RPGs or maning M60's . Those that would do that , given a chance ,are a small minority like Arisman and his crew of thugs and they should have been arrested long ago had the Abhisit regime beeen in any sort of control which obviously till now they are not . In this , they are as much to blame as Arisman&co .

Edit : on the rest i concurr , the governement has to be patient and open to ideas from all sides

Edited by moresomekl

Are there any children among the crowds? If so the warning should now be given they are putting their offspring in the way of potential danger.

Are you joking? The government has given warnings for DAYS now that the protests have become illegal. They are offering free transport home. Any parent who still stays NOW, now that the red shirts have declared war, is an UNFIT PARENT. I think those should be charged that way in addition to any other crimes they have committed by participating in an illegal protest action.

Edited by Jingthing

My God guys, yesterday the mob broke through the parliament building - complete with MPs clambering over the wall to safety, and the others being air-lifted out by helicopter! Hello??!! Now the Red Shirts are being told, "Don't do that again (please)"

Sheer insanity on both sides.

There are two choices. Either dissolve parliament or have a blood bath. I vote to dissolve parliament and get it over with.

Who is the blood bath ultimatum being presented by?

It happens to be my opinion. If the government tries pushing them off the street, the people will fight, the government will fight back and the whole thing will turn into a violent riot.

I dont see the mamas and elderly from Isaan firing RPGs or maning M60's . Those that would do that , given a chance ,are a small minority like Arisman and his crew of thugs and they should have been arrested long ago had the Abhisit regime beeen in any sort of control which obviously till now they are not . In this , they are as much to blame as Arisman&co .

Edit : on the rest i concurr , the governement has to be patieng

[/quo

Bloueeyed is the term that comes to mind. Middle Eastern terrorists have been using this method for considerable time now. Put the mamas and elderly out in front and hide the terrorists amoung them - if anything should happen it is easy to show wounded or dead mamas and blaim the government ..... it is dirty warefare that Mr. T is using

Water canons in a drought situation is a terrible idea. There are several non-injurious methods of crowd dispersal available. One is a sound truck that emits an unbearable sound and anther type of truck emits microwaves that cause non-injurious but unbearable heat sensations at 100 meters. The problem is not solved by either of these methods but the problem does move to a different location. I'm not sure that any intervention won't set off rioting and mayhem citywide as happened last Songkran. Abhisit is dammed if he does and dammed if he doesn't. I personally voted to wait them out as it costs the govt. nothing and can't be held responsible for any escalation to violence. Only the workers in the protest area suffer as the owners are wealthy enough to 'ride it out'. Anyone who thinks the merchant class or Amatya are being hurt by these red-shirt demonstrations are delusional as they, like Dr. Taksin, have enough money for several lifetimes.

Water canons in a drought situation is a terrible idea.

Last time I looked, the klongs were quite full in Bangkok, add to this the contents of the sewage and you have a smelly, but effective countermeasure - if that doesn't work, CS gas will certainly do the job

Edited by BKjohn

Well there were some whining that Jingthing's reference to a POLL was wrong and biased.

Here's their chance to VOTE ONCE, and we can see what TVF people think of the situation.

So far lets just say, it appears 'Statistically significant'.

One man, One vote.

Trouble is I suspect that a lot of these 'political debators' :) , have multi accounts, multi pseudonyms, and will probably have been reincarnated 6 or 7 times before Sunday :D

The vote will still show at least 3;1 against the reds, unlike what the red supporters say/believe.

Personally I voted B.

LOL :D

Rich Elite Yellow shirts who can use the Internet on the latest Mac PC with a 10MB broadband connection in their AC "study room" can each vote once.

Red shirts out on the streets or working in the factory or on the farm with no internet connection and no PC can vote, but of course, will not be able to.

LOL :D

Every time I visit the wife's Issan village

I can always find an Internet Cafe

But finding an available computer is always a problem

They are all usually full of Thai's, the ones you say can not use the net

No democratically elected prime minister of this country will ever be in charge of the army or police forces due to the special balance of power in Thailand (privy council etc.) ... it is not allowed to say more about it.

Therefore, it is quite ridiculous that the Red Shirts demand Abhisit's head of all people. He's a good and well educated person and has done nothing wrong so far.

There is actually not a lot what he can do now apart from informing the public properly and trying to keep the situation as calm as possible. And if it's correct what the Red Shirts claim that he has been brought into office by the army, then he should just keep his patience and let them deal with the current situation. Why should he have blood on his hands and risk to damage his own reputation ?

It is surely correct that in most democratic countries, this mob would already have been dispersed by means of water canons or tear gas. But then, in most democratic countries the government would have the power to order and enforce such measures. But in Thailand, governments tend to be quite powerless unless they try to overcome old principles and accumulate power on their side. That's what Thaksin tried to do and we all know the outcome ...

Well stated.

Thailand might just have it's own Northern Ireland soon, fighting in the streets of Bangkok, Military Law introduced with unlimited powers to the Military.

That was so last Songkran mate. Get in touch with the fashion of this whole thing. This year is throwing blood. :)

Well there were some whining that Jingthing's reference to a POLL was wrong and biased.

Here's their chance to VOTE ONCE, and we can see what TVF people think of the situation.

So far lets just say, it appears 'Statistically significant'.

haha - I have no doubt that more TV'ers are yellow than red - but not the amount that the All-Seeing Eye proclaimed! :) anyway let's keep a sense of humour in our debating

It is unfortunate that the poll doesn't collect data that is vital to understanding how people voted; a) Are you in Thailand and :) Are you in Bangkok. I am certainly willing to be more patient because I am on Phuket. I'm sure, someone in the middle of things would not share that view and it is understandable. I'd probably have a different view if I was suffering the effects.

Outside of the usual hate spewers, there really isn't much of a reason for someone living on Krabi or in Chiang Mai to care since they are not being immediately impacted. Oh sure, there will be the usual but I have family or friends etc., when the family isn't even anywhere near the protests or they haven't spoken to the "friends" in months. The fact is that despite all the talk, the country is still functioning, the key sectors are still humming along, tourists are still arriving in resort areas and the baht is strong. Yes, some parts of Bangkok are hurting, but the country is still strong. Thailand is not collapsing and there is no "anarchy".

Good post, unfortunately I haven't seen anything in the Red leaders public statements or demeanour to suggest they would accept this type of offer, if made.

I'm more - lets say NOT sympathizing with the yellow/elites cause then sympathizing the red/Thaksin movement cause. The only reason I see for a house dissolution is the complete lack of respect shown toward democratic principles during the last two years. The meddling of the courts, the double standards, the "free" press biased reporting. The self preserving backstab from Newin that created an imbalance that will not hold during the next election. There is enough reasons to hold early elections.

Then there is reasons to not dissolve the parliament. Like giving in to the Rule of Mob. There is enough support against the red shirts that we can very well see the exact same scenario after a new election. Dispersing the crowd and subsequent legal procedures against the red shirt leaders would in any civilized country set a precedence to future handling of demonstrations. Then again - this is Thailand. Double standards and all that. And it would certainly stink double standards if any red shirt leader where sentenced to anything before certain yellow shirt leaders get their overdue punishment for government house and airport occupation.

Maybe the best course of action for the current government would be to actually finalize the legal procedures against the yellowshirts. Then follow the 9-month plan, during which they do amend the constitution. Among the amends should be removal of the state appointed senators and removal of the immunity the coup generals gave themselfs. Then also making it harder to disband parties, while keeping a strong reaction against individual MPs that break the law.

Of course, there is the 200+ million baht case against the Democrats. That could very well be the same victory cue that the yellow shirts used as their excuse to end the rallies. However, who would really wager anything on the Democrats to be dissolved. The very same verdict might be the cue to a more violent red shirt movement. And given the circumstances, I would not blame them for reacting to double standards.

The government should stop pussyfooting around, they have good enough reason to totally clamp down on these uneducated trouble makers.

The countries well being is far too important to let this minority bunch of lazy country bumpkins continue.

So says a hardworking foreigner sitting in the comfort of his own home or an air-conditioned Internet cafe. :)

Yes hardworking foreigner absolutely! I work a minimum of 18 hours per day and most weekends (Hard work), I have not had a holiday for more than a year, I work for modest pay (some Thais get more than me) in my spare time ie. 10 pm to 2 am I look after a small web hosting business. when I was young I worked on a farm doing back breaking work picking potatoes, I improved my own life step by step working hard moving on to renovating houses in the uk. eventually saving enough to come to Thailand.

I have been WORKING in Thailand now for 24 years.

I have been up-country many times and stayed in "rural Thailand" in a "shed called home". and could not stand the lazyness of the country lifestyle these people generally don't know what real work is. they seem to be constantly eating and drinking (mainly whiskey) its amazing anything gets done at all.

And you? where are you coming from?