Pub For Sale

Is this Nobi's Bar????

Yes.

John.....

Where is he going set up shop next time? A bit of a huffy bugger if you walked passed his bar but the food was always plentiful & good when he was in Nong Khai...

Jimmy

See yoo Jimmy,

He was a bit of huffy bugger when you went in it. :)

John.....

Have tried ringing this number but call was rejected, if the price is right I would be very interested, because this is a large bar and surin now badly needs a good farang pub with the sad decline of the FC. I think putting on a couple of draught lagers as well as maybe john smiths bitter, introducing some good music ( say the 60's ) and showing a lot of sport and this could be a good place to enjoy a few beers. Will try number again soon and keep my fingers crossed.

Have tried ringing this number but call was rejected, if the price is right I would be very interested, because this is a large bar and surin now badly needs a good farang pub with the sad decline of the FC. I think putting on a couple of draught lagers as well as maybe john smiths bitter, introducing some good music ( say the 60's ) and showing a lot of sport and this could be a good place to enjoy a few beers. Will try number again soon and keep my fingers crossed.

PM sent to you

A pub with good music is always a fine idea, but music from the 60's?

Fine if it's only old folk you want in the place. Do you have a gramaphone?!?

lol, did think that myself celticboy. Depends I suppose on the age of the poster & his clientele. Personally I would avoid a pub that played nothing but 60's music like the plague but then I am under 40 & appreciate an eclectic rage of music (including some 60's stuff)

to dave and mizzi39 thanks for your input and your pm's I managed to speak to norbi last night and i am thinking over an offer to him. As to the other posters who think i may be an old fart cos i like 60's music don't fret cos i like some of todays music too.but i have run bars for 30 years in england and guess what................ 60's music was always the most popular.But that doesn't mean the beatles and the stones, my busiest nights in my pub were when i had a group called "PIGS ON THE WING" as you can guess from their name they were a Pink Floydd tribute band, and they always played to packed audiences.But like I say I also like some of todays music.The thing about being a good landlord is that you listen to what your customers want, and then respond to their wishes. What I would like to create is a bar that people can come to, and tell me what they want and I will give it to them, every successful bar is based on giving the customers what they want.So hopefully I can do a deal and get the place up and running.My only fear is this, I go to Surin every couple of weeks for a night out, usually friday or saturday, but I don't see many farangs out and about, is this cos there is nowhere good to go, or is it because there are not many farangs in Surin, would appreciate some local knowledge on this point cheers guys.

to dave and mizzi39 thanks for your input and your pm's I managed to speak to norbi last night and i am thinking over an offer to him. As to the other posters who think i may be an old fart cos i like 60's music don't fret cos i like some of todays music too.but i have run bars for 30 years in england and guess what................ 60's music was always the most popular.But that doesn't mean the beatles and the stones, my busiest nights in my pub were when i had a group called "PIGS ON THE WING" as you can guess from their name they were a Pink Floydd tribute band, and they always played to packed audiences.But like I say I also like some of todays music.The thing about being a good landlord is that you listen to what your customers want, and then respond to their wishes. What I would like to create is a bar that people can come to, and tell me what they want and I will give it to them, every successful bar is based on giving the customers what they want.So hopefully I can do a deal and get the place up and running.My only fear is this, I go to Surin every couple of weeks for a night out, usually friday or saturday, but I don't see many farangs out and about, is this cos there is nowhere good to go, or is it because there are not many farangs in Surin, would appreciate some local knowledge on this point cheers guys.

Read my PM closely and I think all the answers are there. If you want my honest and blunt opinion, you only have to ask but be aware I might not say what you want to hear.

Dave

You're welcome. Starbeam (around the corner) is relatively new and is a nice place to hang out for a bite to eat and a few drinks, and it is doing good business. Mike the owner is a great guy. Hopefully things will start to pick up a little in Surin. Chok dee

May I add. I think that the atmosphere around Surin has been an "every business for themselves" (farang owned) type of environment for sometime, meaning no one wants to "share" their customers or ideas with each other. What Surin needs is more of a "coalition" approach. I think new business owners like Mike are more receptive to this, although i am certainly not speaking for him. There are many farangs around, but i think that the farang living in the sticks wants a little more variety, so everyone benefits, both customer and business owner. Just a thought.

Edited by mizzi39

Read this thread, in particular posts numbered 101 and 110.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Irish-Bar-t1...0&start=100

There are bars, pubs and clubs that have what you have mentioned, and they are empty or doing very little business.

Most people I know go to bars for the atmosphere, that and a dammed good owner with a personality and sense of humour.

Re-read post number 110, might not have been everyones cup of tea, but he made that place what it is/was.

As a poster mentioned in another thread, the owners would do well to cash in just now before its falls away.

Another thing to bear in mind, if you are going to charge Bangkok prices, at least provide quality.

18 months ago I'd have been interested, though not as some quasi foreign 7/11 come restaurant.

Strange how someone mentioned Martin's statement about the FC and not making a profit on food and drink because if he wasn't then he was doing something terribly wrong. Cars and motorbikes don't need a bar or restaurant to support them and anyway, they have a habit of going walkabout.

The trouble with Norbies is that without the lease details, you cannot work out a price. It is, after all, just a shell and would need quite a lot of money spent on it to become even functional as a bar or similar. You could chuck Bt1m at that and see nothing. My guess is Bt1.5-2m for a top fit out but less if you don't do food (which I think is essential). Not sure there is much return on that what with prices people will pay as there is no mass volume business.

18 months ago I'd have been interested, though not as some quasi foreign 7/11 come restaurant.

Strange how someone mentioned Martin's statement about the FC and not making a profit on food and drink because if he wasn't then he was doing something terribly wrong. Cars and motorbikes don't need a bar or restaurant to support them and anyway, they have a habit of going walkabout.

The trouble with Norbies is that without the lease details, you cannot work out a price. It is, after all, just a shell and would need quite a lot of money spent on it to become even functional as a bar or similar. You could chuck Bt1m at that and see nothing. My guess is Bt1.5-2m for a top fit out but less if you don't do food (which I think is essential). Not sure there is much return on that what with prices people will pay as there is no mass volume business.

Why not start a business/restaurant on your own? You could get a shop house, buy 10 tables and chairs + cooker + stock and start from scratch. I can’t comprehend why people pay an extortionate price for a lease.

If you do decide to buy get a written statement saying that the seller can’t start a similar business within a 50 mile radius.

Why not start a business/restaurant on your own? You could get a shop house, buy 10 tables and chairs + cooker + stock and start from scratch. I can’t comprehend why people pay an extortionate price for a lease.

If you do decide to buy get a written statement saying that the seller can’t start a similar business within a 50 mile radius.

I've had numerous businesses in Thailand, bought, built up and started from scratch.

If you'd read my comment about needing Bt1.5-2m needed on it, then you'd realise I was talking about more than a few crappy tables and chairs.

Why would you buy a lease ? If you have to ask, then .... obviously location. I would not value the business with any goodwill over the fact that a few people know where it is (still virtually nil value) and I certainly would not want any stock. In fact, it would be easier if it was just a shell. You would need to suss out the BiB situation as well. As I said, the prices people can charge in Surin and the surrounds make decent investment very difficult unless the lease is very favourable. It is my experience, certainly in Buriram, that people will choose cheap prices over anything and would almost sit on chairs with glass spikes on them if the beer was Bt1 cheaper.

That makes sense all day long.

Why buy a guy's leftovers?

Why not start a business/restaurant on your own? You could get a shop house, buy 10 tables and chairs + cooker + stock and start from scratch. I can't comprehend why people pay an extortionate price for a lease.

If you do decide to buy get a written statement saying that the seller can't start a similar business within a 50 mile radius.

I've had numerous businesses in Thailand, bought, built up and started from scratch.

If you'd read my comment about needing Bt1.5-2m needed on it, then you'd realise I was talking about more than a few crappy tables and chairs.

Why would you buy a lease ? If you have to ask, then .... obviously location. I would not value the business with any goodwill over the fact that a few people know where it is (still virtually nil value) and I certainly would not want any stock. In fact, it would be easier if it was just a shell. You would need to suss out the BiB situation as well. As I said, the prices people can charge in Surin and the surrounds make decent investment very difficult unless the lease is very favourable. It is my experience, certainly in Buriram, that people will choose cheap prices over anything and would almost sit on chairs with glass spikes on them if the beer was Bt1 cheaper.

Agree entirely. Goodwill starts with a zero.

I recently started a business from scratch and turnover is now 100k+ p.m. Value of goodwill = zero (if I was buying :) ).

Somebody could start half a mile away with a better product and take all my customers. Practical worse case scenario is someone else opening up and me not closing = splitting the market.

In Surin it seems that Mike has done a fantastic job of picking up the business he wanted, from other Farang establishments, and by providing a broader product to the Farang and Thai community.

Norbies appears to be on it's arse. It does not look appealing and I would only go half way in agreeing with other posters comments about the food. Nothing special allround.

If someone wants to open a Farang pub there are better locations and, again, why pay anything for goodwill ?

Edited by Chaimai

• 1 month later...