BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
sbk

Gardening On The Islands

This is a pinned thread for the gardeners among us, discussing gardening tips specific to the islands, their unique climates, soils and growing conditions. Photos are welcome, questions and answers for those in need.

Please do not post off topic issues as theywill be deleted without notice.

Cheers

sbk

Hello & welcome, to all gardeners here on the Islands of Koh Samui, Koh Phengnan & Koh Toa.

It was me who suggested having a "local site" to discuss gardening: Plants, flowers, trees, Bugs & resources, for such things as tools, fertilizing etc. Tips & tricks, your experiences in with local gardening in general.

Although many of the plants we can grow here, grow elsewhere in Thailand & other tropical areas, we are different, in that, things that do well in other areas, may do better or worse here, simply because we do not get the cooler nights that they get in say the Northern areas of Thailand.

I think plant lovers would agree that we have some amazing plants to work with here, but there are plants we try to grow, that we can't no matter how hard we try at least from my experience! Some of the good nurseries we have here, do bring in some plants from the north which just do not cut it.. but every thing is worth a try... & may just need different micro climate, than I have where I live.

As for my experience, I have been involved in Horticulture most of my life, both in UK, various parts of Canada & now in Thailand for almost three years...

I am not doing it professionally here, just spading away in my own garden, instead of someone else's! It keeps me busy & slim & trim!

No one knows everything about gardening, there is always something new to learn... & a garden is never finished!!!! I certainly don't know all the answers, so hope there are others out there to share, tips & experiences.

I love the way many Thai people make an effort to "spruce up" their shops & homes, with plants & do a good job of it generally... I have certainly learnt a lot from several Thai's, when it comes to propagation of many plants... Some plants you can just stick cuttings in the ground & in no time you have nice plants .... with a bit of TLC of course... Others need to be "air - layered & of course some from seed too.... but it all depends on timing and the effort put into it, that gives the result.

The big difficulty here of course is the Thai's don't use the latin names, (or English Common Names, which makes it a little more difficult sometimes), but the are a number of good gardening books available, & pictures can say a thousand words in any language! I have thousands of plant & flower pictures, since photography is another passion of mine, so if this flies I add & hope others will too.

The problem is often there is not enough hours in the day to do everything!

OK let's get this going! :D

Jim

(with the sometimes green thumb & some times memory lapses ! but will do my best to keep on this )

First question: Which of the Three main Islands here in the Gulf of Thailand has the most varieties of Palm trees in the whole wide world? :)

Edited by samuijimmy

good luck with the new pinned thread, just noticed it....

just a quick one, can you grow parsnips in thailand?

I don't think Parsnips would not do well here on the islands, I have never seen any being grown here, but perhaps in the northern reaches of Thailand... (cooler at night!!!) or definitely in London! :)

Carrots won't do it here either.

There is a tree here, that the Thai's dig up roots and call it "Thai Potato". They just cut stems & lay them in the soil & within months a 12 foot high tree! Then they dig up the roots... which look like a huge elongated potato... must admit it I have never tried it, so not sure what they taste like.

There we go my mission today will be to take pictures of the "Thai Potato" tree! & add it to my picasa link.

• Like 2

I don't think Parsnips would not do well here on the islands, I have never seen any being grown here, but perhaps in the northern reaches of Thailand... (cooler at night!!!) or definitely in London! :)

Carrots won't do it here either.

There is a tree here, that the Thai's dig up roots and call it "Thai Potato". They just cut stems & lay them in the soil & within months a 12 foot high tree! Then they dig up the roots... which look like a huge elongated potato... must admit it I have never tried it, so not sure what they taste like.

There we go my mission today will be to take pictures of the "Thai Potato" tree! & add it to my picasa link.

Can anyone help with this problem?

I have inherited a 7 year old Bouganvillea hedge which has been clipped to a height of 3/4 feet and is three wide. It shows strong growth and in 3 months I have pruned it hard twice.

BUT it will not flower

Bougainvilleas don't flower year round Wellington. Bougainvillea do bloom off of new growth, so expect it to flower but if you keep pruning you will be cutting off the flowering branches. Don't feed it lots of nitrogen, that will restrict flowering.

Root vegetables from cool climates will not grow in the South.

The plant you are talking about jimmy is not really a tree, although when allowed to run rampant sure appears to be one. My MIL planted that and it took us days and days to get rid of the dam_n things so we could plant our avocado trees. Its cassava, and while is edible is quite woody. Alot of other countries use it for animal feed.

biopact_cassava_biofuels.jpg

My personal favorite is jicama (mun gaeow in Thai or yam bean in english (Pachyrhizus erosus)

jicama.jpg

You can buy them in the market but they also grow easily from seed. Its a vining plant and you eat the root, its crisp like an apple but not so sweet and a bit starchy like a potato but much crisper.

Bougainvilleas don't flower year round Wellington. Bougainvillea do bloom off of new growth, so expect it to flower but if you keep pruning you will be cutting off the flowering branches. Don't feed it lots of nitrogen, that will restrict flowering.

Root vegetables from cool climates will not grow in the South.

The plant you are talking about jimmy is not really a tree, although when allowed to run rampant sure appears to be one. My MIL planted that and it took us days and days to get rid of the dam_n things so we could plant our avocado trees. Its cassava, and while is edible is quite woody. Alot of other countries use it for animal feed.

Thanks; I'll let it run rampant for a bit.But it should be flowering over the last two months shouldn't it?

My personal favorite is jicama (mun gaeow in Thai or yam bean in english (Pachyrhizus erosus)

jicama.jpg

You can buy them in the market but they also grow easily from seed. Its a vining plant and you eat the root, its crisp like an apple but not so sweet and a bit starchy like a potato but much crisper.

Did you forget to make a comment wellington?

growing mint,cucumber,basil at present doing ok.also planted sunflower seeds and they too are coming up,just waiting on chili seeds to germinate.having fun trying out different seeds.planted some marigolds but was an abject falilure.

• Like 2

I've always had problems with mealy bugs on my marigolds. Where did you get the mint seeds from?

jicama.jpg

SBK

This "Thai potato thing" Cassava, (learned something there!) sure grows like a tree & extremely fast, from branches cut about 12" long & laid in the soil...

I guess the local Thai's had a good laugh when I planted it as a screen, which does work, except every once in a while they come and dig up the plants... there goes the screen! :)

(Red Hibiscus works well too, from cuttings, using the older wood!!! I'll use that in future as the screen, and plant the Cassava, where it does not matter if they did up! ).

There is about two rai here, technically I only rent about 1/2 rai... but I keep digging up more ground & expanded over the limit... no one seems to mind that...

My garden sometimes has no boundaries when it comes to food... although I really don't mind, I get tons of help from the neighbours & I know they can't afford many things we take for granted.

Interesting thread :D

I've had some success with tomatoes but it was always touch and go, they're so temperamental :)

Planted some marigold seeds that are just coming up so will watch over them.

I have varied success with growing things in Thailand, there seem to be no set rules, a plant will one day be thriving and looking really promising and the the next few days it will wilt and die on me. Then something I planted months ago and gave up on as nothing was happening will one day suddenly start to sprout :D

:D